Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Cala Pregonda - front cover location, Anyone been?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
captainjjb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 29 2010, 17:17

I'm off to Menorca later this year and will be visiting Cala Pregonda where the cover to Incantations (my favourite MO music) was taken.  Will try to mimic the cover of course!  Has anyone else been there and taken a picture similar to that on the cover?  (is it even possible or is the whole thing a fake?) Looking at the picture below it seems as if it is a possibility as long as we can get a cloudy day!

!!!bring on the Incantations Deluxe Edition!!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 18:07

One spanish fan did a while ago:

http://www.mike-oldfield.es/verfoto.asp?id=7584

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 29 2010, 20:13

Any chance of you doing the Voyager cover Tati?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 20:38

Quote (milamber @ June 29 2010, 20:13)
Any chance of you doin the Voyager cover Tati?  :laugh:

If I were you,Tati I would commission milamber to recreate the MOTS cover. I just know you want to send him to the a**e-end of
the Solar System for that remark!   ;)

I'm off to mimic Earth Moving by sticking my head in a basin of Cherryade-Result!   :D

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: June 29 2010, 22:27

How about the three of us stand in a line
Drop our strides
And recreate TresLunas
Besides its lonely out in space
Oh hello Pluto you little planetoid you
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 03:33

Quote (milamber @ June 30 2010, 01:13)
Any chance of you doin the Voyager cover Tati?  :laugh:

Does this pic count?

http://www.mike-oldfield.es/verfoto.asp?id=6603

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 03:54

Well done Tati :laugh:
I cant wait for Incantations either.
Back in the days of vinyl I always considered it a piece of exquisite art contained within two licorice pizza's.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 12:44

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ June 29 2010, 18:07)
One spanish fan did a while ago:

http://www.mike-oldfield.es/verfoto.asp?id=7584

I'll see if I can better than one!  Expect something back in September if I can drag the wife and kids to that particular spot!
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 16:25

Quote (captainjjb @ June 29 2010, 17:17)
I'm off to Menorca later this year and will be visiting Cala Pregonda where the cover to Incantations (my favourite MO music) was taken.  Will try to mimic the cover of course!  Has anyone else been there and taken a picture similar to that on the cover?  (is it even possible or is the whole thing a fake?) Looking at the picture below it seems as if it is a possibility as long as we can get a cloudy day!

!!!bring on the Incantations Deluxe Edition!!

It's a strange thing that I have been to Menorca (about 6 or 7 years ago) but hadn't even made the connection that the cover was shot there. Having said that even if I had I doubt I'd have gone looking for it what with family in toe - I'd not have been popular!

What is strange is that the cover shot doesn't look like a sunny Mediterranean location does it? It looks cold, moody and windswept (which I suppose even the Balearics are in the winter months on occasion) and I always thought it was somewhere in the British Isles - but never had any idea where.

If anybody has a copy of "The Rough Guide to the Majorca & Menorca" from around 2005/6 one of my photographs is in it - of some farmyard gates:

http://www.alamy.com/search-....pn%3D33

(that is a link to a stock photography site where some of my images are stored)

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 18:38

Ghostmojo,June 30 2010, 16:25 It's a strange thing that I have been to Menorca (about 6 or 7 years ago) but hadn't even made the connection that the cover was shot there. Having said that even if I had I doubt I'd have gone looking for it what with family in toe - I'd not have been popular!

...family in toe? Is that like the old woman who lived in a shoe,Ghostmojo?

All I know is if I tried to take my family abroad in my toe, my Balearics would be cold moody and windswept having been seperated from my nether regions by my t'other arf!  :p

(I bees a bloody stickler for grammaaaaaar,me hearties!;) ;)

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 13:37

Live from Cala Pregonda, by the spaniard Killing Bell!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fooKj51r2ks&feature=related
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 13:57

Quote (Nacho @ July 01 2010, 13:37)
Live from Cala Pregonda, by the spaniard Killing Bell!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fooKj51r2ks&feature=related

aha!  Someone has done a really thorough job here, and all I was going to do is take a picture!  Nice one.  There are clearly two beaches with a walk inbetween , which is what the guidebook says.  From looking at the video the Oldfield "rock" is on the 2nd beach when walking from Binimel-La??  Not sure if I'll get the kids there though, maybe I'll just nip on my own.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 16:38

well, I went last week and it was great, the area around is like a moonscape with odd shaped rocks and reddish sand.  The walk was really easy and the kids loved it.  The med was no-where near as rough as when mike was there back in errrm 1978...ish.  The sea is breaking over the tall rock on his version.  Maybe he was there during winter.  

It was good to see an image that I've stared at for so many years come to life - I remember the cover so well because it was such an important album after such a long wait... and MIke looked SOOOO different without the beard.  And of course the music is the best he's ever produced,  well IMHO of course!

Can't wait for the new version - I hope it is coming!

Anyway here are 3 photos I took

taken from the shore opposite the tall rock

taken more from the angle on the album sleeve with my kids in shot

and me, one happy chappy
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 04:45

Shorts?!  Where's the jacket and long trousers, man?   ;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 05:06

Captainjjb; - Good job!!

I've just compared pictures and it looks like you've got the exact same spot.   :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 05:42

Impressively close!

That does look a fun beach, I can imagine my kids enjoying that one for a while. Now, how much the tickets for Menorca....  :cool:

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 13:07

Quote (Matt @ Sep. 06 2010, 05:42)
Impressively close!

That does look a fun beach, I can imagine my kids enjoying that one for a while. Now, how much the tickets for Menorca....  :cool:

tee hee, this is very good Matt, thanks.  I didn't have the picture with me at the time but do appear to have been somewhat close to it.  

And familyjules comment about jacket and trousers, well it was hot out there boyo!  Anyway I'd still look crap whatever I was wearing.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 14:49

Nice one Matt!! - and definately very close.

Captainjjb -  seems like the tide was further out with Mike's photo - the rock is behind Mike's right shoulder. Looks quite a dull day and chilly, (even though it was actually hot) - like the British seaside. :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 17:16

re: Wiga's comment, yes I know what you mean but the med doesn't really have tides - an absolute maximum of 2 foot apparently.  

I probably wasn't in the right place really, I think Matt has made it look really good by putting the "rock" in the same place.  Maybe if someone went there WITH the original picture and WITHOUT two kids saying "come on Dad lets go now" they might be able to recapture it 100%.  Anyway, it was fun to be at such a hallowed place as that album cover.
Profile PM 
18 replies since June 29 2010, 17:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net