Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Buy Light + Shade online< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 14:54

Quote (christopher @ Sep. 15 2005, 16:15)
the "game music" was looped in the game and did not usually develop except in certain areas and then it was still looped with no real development.  Snippets, if you will, of potentially great songs.

But I would want to make the crucial point that those looped sequences were never intended to be listened to purely as music; they're part of a composite audio-visual experience that I, and others, find extremely moving and breathtakingly beautiful. To wrench the music loops out of context and describe them as 'boring, simplistic, and totally unimaginative' is completely to misjudge their true nature, and to be unfair to the artist (MO) whose efforts you're asking to be accepted for what they are (which attitude, by the way, I completely agree with).
Profile PM 
palesi Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 15:47

OMG. I just listened to Tears of an Angel.

This one struck me. It's gold.

And what about Surfing...

I think they are some absolutely beautiful tracks.

Way to go, Mike!!!!!!
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 16:43

How can you tell from all these very small snippets of sound.I clicked on each of the songs and I get about 2 seconds of music.Hardly anything to judge the music by. :/
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 16:46

Quote (ian @ Sep. 15 2005, 16:43)
"How can you tell from all these very small snippets of sound.I clicked on each of the songs and I get about 2 seconds of music."

Hmmm. You actually get a pretty good sense of "Ommadawn" and "Tubular Bells" if you listen to just the first very few seconds. The same is probably true of others.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
tubtattoo Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 17:04

Hello all... interesting debate going on.

In the UK I went into a local MVC store and they have a listing for release of L+S on 26th September :D

But no other info until the beginning of next week :(

There's nothing on their online site either :/

Oh well, the UK market seems to be ignoring things again (not sure who is to blame there!;)

As for the whole negativity debate I'm sure we all ally ourselves to certain albums but I certainly fall into the broad view that Mike makes music that I love... some more than others but my talent for music is negligible so I have no basis to judge or condemn on those terms. From the clips I've heard (four tracks, all fairly lengthy snippets) I'm really looking forward to the album. The quality of the files may not be great but I don't care... it makes me want to hear them in their glory all the more.

I'll not try to hear any more now til the release but a new Mike album is always special for me... and my life is so much better for having ALL of them on my shelves.

Less than 11 days...  :laugh:

Malky[B]
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 17:04

Were are you getting your 2 second snippets of music from Ian. I just checked MO.com and the MP3's arn't up yet (still)
Profile PM 
palesi Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 17:28

Ian, maybe we're not talking about the same tracks. Here:

http://www.thefilehut.com/userfiles/sgnaus/mo_ls.htm
Profile PM 
STEFOR Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 17:42

christopher, do you just like the sound of your own voice while your typing or is it that if you manage to swear and use capitals in your post people will come on and agree with you?

Everyone has an opinion and it doesn't take someone swearing on a post to get THEIR opinion across.  I will not act like a sheep and just agree with everything that people say.

Back in 1973, when I first heard and fell in love with Tubular Bells I couldn't wait for the next album to come out.  A year later along came Hergest Ridge, totally different and another original.  Next came Ommadawn, I'm now thinking it can't get any better than this, all original, superb.  Incantations came next, not exactly original but fantastic!!  It's by Mike!!  This is the point of dissillusion.  Don't get me wrong but I love alot of his work since then, I'm not going to get into naming albums because I'll only get someone coming on bitching about "MY CHOICE", but since SODE most seems to have melted into jazzed up covers, dance or celtic chants.

Anyway it doesn't matter, christopher's probably going to come back with F*****G B*****D M****S Follow me because I can swear and actually spell my swear words right without having the decency to ** just incase there's some young children fans reading these posts.

Thank you Tracy for actually taking onboard that I've got MY OPINION and reading my thread.  It took alot of bottle to come back and comment and for that I thank you.

To christopher, as an adult I can articulate without swearing and putting people down.  Your not a very friendly individual and would possible think of seeking professional help.

To everyone else, thanks for reading, whether you agree or not, a forum is for discussions (read this at the top of the page) and putting your OWN personal views across.  Thanks to those who didn't agree with me but managed to get their opinion across without calling me a M***N.

Take Care All
Steve
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 18:23

You have some valid points as does everyone.  I get really tired though of you lot not giving anything a chance before it's even had a chance to be released and heard in its entirety and then making ridiculous demands of MO!!!!!!!

As for the swearing... I have seeked council... and i'm told that swearing is a good way to relieve built up annoyance with ppl who judge before they've given something a chance... and it IS perfectly adult to swear!!!!  

For the kids that may come to this sight... oh well... that's life and i don't believe in censoring myself for anyone.  Here in america that fucking idiot of a president we have is taking away our free speech everyday and jailing people for speaking out against what we don't believe is right!!!!! Now I am speaking out against the annoying ppl who inhabit Tubular.net since I became a memeber in 1999 and had to listen to all this rubbish... and judgement calls only for most of them to turn around and go "OHHHHH I LIKE IT NOW!!!!"

Get a grip.. this is life and you and I both have our right to an opinion and i value yours just as much as my own!!!! :)  

Cheers
Christopher

PS Alan D you are right once again... i was looking at the game music from the wrong angle.. thanks!! :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 18:28

Before this goes any further, please leave each other alone. It's rather ironical to be telling people to stop telling Mike what to do, but in the process, telling them what to do...

Sure, it gets annoying sometimes when people are extreme in their opinions. It would be nice to see them balanced out a little bit.

If anyone needs to be shut up, we'll do it, and without saying fuck (well, not as a rule anyway ;)).
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 18:46

Quote (christopher @ Sep. 15 2005, 05:02)
ok i'm throwing my two cents in here.  you all are CRAZY.. imho of course!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all the rubbish and simplistic non-sense that Mike has put out over the greater part of a decade, with the exception of a few tracks off TMB, Guitars, and TL1+2, nothing stands out!!!  JUst as much as the next person I'd like to see Mike Oldfield revisit his deep roots of a long rock opera TB type piece, but frankly I don't see that happening outside of yet ANOTHER sadly Tubular Bells esque album.  And I'm pretty sure the reason he changed that bloody ring to a round Tubular Bell is because you idiots fucking complained as you do about everything until it's released!!!!! IT"S TRUE GO AND READ YOUR OWN POSTINGS BEFORE AND AFTER RELEASE... YOU ALL BITCH ABOUT EVERYTHING UNTIL I CAN"T STAND IT... SHUT UP UNTIL YOU HEAR THE DAMN THING, WILL YOU????  THANKS!!!!!!

NOw... after all the game music... I'm really quite impressed at how much this particular style has advanced and come to a full and very developed sound!!!!!  

Everything I've heard so far form this album... gives me a very warm, happy, and peaceful feeling!!!!!!  SOmething I don't find myself getting from any other MO album.. EVER!!!!!  His past music is littered with negative energy and toughts... and we alll know why!!!!!

Yes Romance COULD BE a bit more developed... but I've only heard a snippet and I do hope it developes more than the minute and half sample.  

Surfing is quite positively one of Mike's best songs EVER!!!!!! :)  You see unlike the OLD FARTS (as you call yourselves)  I can appreciate any advancement or change an artist decides to take outside of the old style, traditional box that you all have backed MO into over the years!!!!!!

Just because there is no particular theme to L+S like with SODE... it is EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME STYLE AND METHOD OF WRITING AND SOUND... go listen you idiots.. GO AND FUCKING LISTEN... and THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!!  

The more I listen to L+S the more I feel a sense of peace around me!!!!! And I'm NOT going to let you morons take that away from me by being your usual selves and complaining about every god damn thing Mike Odlfield does that doesn't sit with whatever sound you think he should be producing at the moment of your post!!!!!!!!!!

True I would like to see more complexed compositions such as some of his best "Tattoo" and "The Bell".  But, friends, I have a feeling that unless the wind changes, MO isn't going to be doing any of that style again... SO GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!  Except what he is doing... appreciate it for what it is.... realize that he written in this style just after writing TB2... and enjoy!!!!!  The only reason we have all complained is we are expecting the album to be much like the GAME music... boring, simplistic, and totally unimaginative, compared to what we know Mike to be capable of!!!!!!!  

I really think it boils down to this... if MIke puts a theme around it and connects the tracks, like with TB, you all go fucking bananas over it!!!!!!!!!  If it doesn't have a theme, but it's EXACTLY like something he's done before, you DOG THE SHIT OUT OF IT and NEVER give it a chance... you KILL IT BEFORE IT's EVEN BEEN RELEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!1  

My final advice... SHUT THE FUCK UP AND STOP TELLING MIKE OLDFIELD HOW TO WRITE HIS MUSIC!!!!!  Then MAYBE he might stop listening to you lot and go do a long recording again!!!!!!!  He has tried to please you all by getting involved with you and still you don't stop bitching... just SHUT UP!!!!!1

So far this album is some of BEST MUSIC I've heard come out of Oldfield for what seems like ages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Cheers
Christopher

PS  Oh and as for the vocoder software... I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! It's very different and gives his music a vocal boost without the need for NO NAME singers who can't sing (i.e PEPSI)!!!!!  I'm not sure anyone to date has done an entire album using vocoder singing without using a real person... so this might be a first... outside of techno music anyways!!!!!!!

Very interesting read this, you are slamming your fellow posters for being negative, yet if you read through your post again Christopher you might notice that it has more negativity in it than any other post on here, towards both Mike and your fellow posters. Yes you may be on the same wavelength as Mike himself in thinking that we are all crazy but where do you fit in, someone who screams and swears at people just for not having the same opinion as your good self. Your post is all over the place, Mike is shit, Mike is great, we are shit, you are great! How old are you? 12!!! No, 12 year olds show more respect to adults. Reading many of these posts are frustrating for everybody, not just you. What I LOVE the MOST about Mike is his diversity, that he can go from Celtic to Rock to Dance to Folk (well not so much the Folk) but he can do it and that is the point. The thing about that though is that he attracts many different types of fans, from young dance music fans or hard rock fans to mature listeners with more refined and mellow tastes. That can be frustrating because we feel isolated at times being a fan of Mikes music and then when we find other fans they hate the stuff we love and love the stuff we hate, at least that's how I feel at times. It's great that you love the music Mike is coming out with now, we all enjoy some aspect of it or we wouldn't be here would we? But to call us complaining F**KING idiots because we don't all think the same way as you makes you a pure WANK through and through. You are rude, crass, judgemental and plain stupid and I don't care how polite you may be in future, you have no place posting on this forum IMHO. What category would you put me into, I love the old stuff and the new stuff, I love the dance tracks as much as the stuff he did 30 years ago, I get upset only by the feeling that Mike is not enjoying what he is doing anymore, that is all. That Mike is creating music for reasons other than the pure pleasure of it and sharing his incredible gift and talent with his fans, that he has a different agenda these days fuelled by different desires. His choice no doubt, I respect any direction he takes musically, I just hope that HE still respects it. And saying that Mike has tried to get involved with US, on what do you base this opinion? He has never appreciated his fans, esp the devoted 'crazy' ones. He flatly refused to speak to Tom Newman once at a Hiawatha meeting because there were fans in the room listening. And yet with all your ranting about US being negative, I don't think I have read as much disrespect towards Mike as I have in your very own post, go figure.

By the way, I wholly understand the reasons that no-one else has told you what they think as strongly as I have, because you would then turn it into a slanging match and blame it on the other posters even though you were the one to thoughtlessly attack and complain. So if this post makes me as childish as you, then so be it. If you have any maturity at all, you will take my post with the rite of reply that it was entitled to and not respond in an angry and thoughtless manner and then we can all move on, thankyou.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 18:50

Oops sorry Korgscrew, I would have reconsidered posting if I had seen your post first, if you feel the need to quickly remove my post I will not be offended or upset. Once again, my sincerest apologies, I just felt someone needed to say something as you hadn't........

I also had not read Christophers last post before I posted.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 19:13

Quote (christopher @ Sep. 15 2005, 23:23)
As for the swearing... I have seeked council... and i'm told that swearing is a good way to relieve built up annoyance with ppl who judge before they've given something a chance... and it IS perfectly adult to swear!!!!  

For the kids that may come to this sight... oh well... that's life and i don't believe in censoring myself for anyone.

Well, you have a choice - you can either be polite, or you can go somewhere else.

I don't personally believe that swear words are things which need to be censored out here, as it is by and large a forum which attracts adults (the youngest here are of an age where they'll have heard such words before - if you don't believe me, go down to any high school playground...). Besides, everyone's going to read them some day...it is however up to us to demonstrate the correct use of them, and make sure it's clear that they are words which have a particularly strong effect, and which are going to offend in certain contexts.

Not swearing all the time isn't censoring yourself, it's just being polite so you don't wind everyone up. Calling people idiots is just plain rude. Don't push your luck.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 19:17

Quote (TubularBelle @ Sep. 15 2005, 23:50)
Oops sorry Korgscrew, I would have reconsidered posting if I had seen your post first, if you feel the need to quickly remove my post I will not be offended or upset. Once again, my sincerest apologies, I just felt someone needed to say something as you hadn't........

Heh, looks like we're all writing things at the same time and getting tangled!

No worries though - it just shows that there's more than one way of getting a point across, I guess ;)

We'll just draw a line and move on...
Profile PM 
STEFOR Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 19:59

I think for my next post I will introduce myself to the room :)

3 posts and I've already caused ww3.

SORRY ALL

I'll now slither back into the shadows for another 6 years or until my next concert photo's and recordings anyway ;)
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 21:00

Absolutely not Stefor, your post was intelligent and thoughtfull, and thankyou for acknowledging my thoughts. Please do not go away or I will feel partly responsible, on my knees now begging!!

--------------
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 02:40

Hi,

Just thought I'd break into the topic to say that I noticed last night HMV have L+S on their site for £12.99 and it's definitely the extended version with UK bonus tracks.

Not sure if this has been posted on here before. If so apologies for taking up your time.

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 02:51

Bloody hell, I knew that was going to happen. I was blinded by my desire to get the album as soon as possible. I KNEW that there was supposed to be 18 tracks, Mike stated that months ago and I assumed that the reason the album was 3 pounds cheaper at CDWOW was because it only had 16 tracks and was some sort of promotional early edition, but I went and paid for it anyway. What to do, what to do?

--------------
Profile PM 
tek_uk Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 03:03

Did I start all this with my post???  :O
Well, all i meant is IMHO, Mike has tried to embrace some styles rather unsuccess fully, like dance or techno. For example, Millinium Bell contained some rather poor bits of dance music. I don't have a problem with dance, it's just that when mike does it it sounds very unoriginal and dated. Some remix of 'let there be light' from BT where excellent however.
I guess it's just that he might not be suited for that style. Some other artists have done it a bit more succesfully (still IMHO!;) such as prince who has done some really cool jazz music or generally introduced a lot more jazz influence in his music. I also find that Prince has been a lot more creative and experimental since he's not tied to a record label (apart from Musicology) whereas Mike seems to have gone the other way.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 18:03

Ok you all have valid points and NO if you responded to me I would NOT go off on anyone for having a rebuttle... everyone is entitled to their opinion!!!  It's just that night I was SOOOO bloody tired of hearing this album dogged YET AGAIN before its release!!!!  SOme people just don't give anything a chance and it annoys the living hell out of me!  I have the right to swear on here and say exactly as I feel without any reaosn to censor myself... as do you lot!!!!  

I just finally hit my shit limit with listening to the lot of you bitch yet again... since 1999 that's all I've heard out of great many memebers... not all... but a vast majority... and I AM FED UP FED UP with listening to it (yes that was a reference... you likey?  LOL :-P)  

Sometimes we just have to vent out what is in our heads and that night I took out my final limit of frustration with those who dog an album before it's released or heard in its entirety... so I went on a rant that I hoped would get everyone thinking about how they act towards MO's music before and after a release or in general.

I don't HATE anyone in this forum... I'm quite fond of all of you... you HAVE been very kind to me over the years!!!!  HOwever, that will not stop me from hitting a limit and saying what I feel needs to be said in whatever form I choose to communicate it... be it 12yo or adult.  And many adults react this way... maybe not over a computer, but they do in person... so please don't call me 12yo when prolly many of you on this forum have hit a limit at more than one time in your life and told everyone to SHUT THE F**K UP!?!?!  

I really really really like the music in this album and it has given me a peace in my life that I've not had musically in a long while... so that is mainly what spawned my dislike for many people dogging L+S, like they so frequently do before a release, and then change their tune afterward!!!!!  

I'm am glad that everyone has spoken up to me... either for or against me... this is good and it makes things alittle more interesting!!!  Not trying to stur things up just get everyone to think about things alittle more... that's all!!!

Best Wishes
Christopher

PS If you wish me to remove my post... or re edit it so the vulgarity is less blatent... I will.
Profile PM 
189 replies since Aug. 31 2005, 13:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net