Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Bridge to Babel, A long story< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
fastguy101 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 12 2006, 10:24

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be a musician, producer or sound engineer.  Anyone who can create music out of thin air is talented.  People who can create music that takes me on a journey are the real artists.

Well, I just had a thorough listen to Bridge to Babel without interuption.  My impressions remain the same as my previous post; this is CD will be a permanent fixture in my collection.  

Could I critique this effort?  Sure but the "flaws" for me are part of the landscape of the creation.  And what I mean my flaws are very minor such as ONE note that seems to be out of key or what Edoardo mentions himself in his earlier post regarding improvements with equalization and/or sound choices.  

What I found most interesting was a couple sections in the latter half that introduce (and well done) a couple sequenced synth (electronic)sounding parts.  At first I was surprised but it worked in the overall scheme.  

Couple questions:
-Can I assume that there are REAL voices in some of the singing?  
-Are the drums programmed or "live"?

Thanks, Mike
Profile PM 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 12 2006, 17:05

How come the mp3 is only 55:18 min. long?
I'm missing out the last tones from the boy's singing.

It's 55:18, is correct, and it ends with the boy's voice.

--------------
www.edoardofainello.com :::: www.fayeth.com :::: www.myspace.com/kahman
Profile PM WEB 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2006, 17:10

Couple questions:
-Can I assume that there are REAL voices in some of the singing?  
-Are the drums programmed or "live"?

Are real voices, but they came out from a sound library corrected in pitch and waveform.

The drums are programmed, except some parts (The kid and the snake for example) where I used different loops from a live session digitally stretched.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
DCDayDreamer Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2006, 18:24

This is absolutely amazing, I couldn't believe it when you posted this Edoardo, I listened to the MP3 then burnt it to CD (then listened to it again three times). This was playing when we put the Christmas tree and decorations up the other night, what a wonderful piece of music (or should I say 50 pieces?), thank you so much for this, it will be forever embedded in my memories when Christmas comes around again.

I took the CD to work yesterday and played it for all the staff, out of 22, 17 people want copies of the CD, that should be testament to what a really fantastic piece of music this is.

I really can't thank you enough for this Edoardo, but here's a little help from me to spread this music around:

Bridge To Babel MP3 Track at Lyricless

Bridge To Babel CUE File

Bridge To Babel Booklet 1 PDF File

Bridge To Babel Booklet 2 PDF File

Bridge To Babel Inlay PDF File

Bridge To Babel Label PDF File
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2006, 20:22

17 out of 22 people - sounds like a great response!  What was wrong with the other 5? ;)

To add to DC's contribution, I've linked to the track from the Download Centre: http://www.lyricless.com/view_article.php?id=465

Of course, I'll be recommending it - but right now I'd prefer to wait until I have some thoughts to sum it up.  It's hard to summarise a track like this without writing a novel!!

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2006, 17:42

OK, now everyone's talking wonders about this and here I am, the dumb guy who still hasn't heard a single note because he cannot get his software to work properly. Of course I have the mp3, all 55 minutes and 18 seconds of it, but I have no time to 1) listen to all of its 55 minutes and 18 seconds in one go; 2) make a nice CD out of it with the printed covers and everything else. :) So, if there's anyone here who has done number 2 above and is so kind to do it again for me, please PM me. Of course I shall repay him/her. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2006, 00:38

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 13 2006, 22:42)
OK, now everyone's talking wonders about this and here I am, the dumb guy who still hasn't heard a single note because he cannot get his software to work properly.

I'm sure you'll have tried this already, Ugo - but just in case you haven't, or for anyone else who wants to split the mp3 without installing Foobar:

Open the mp3 itself with Nero. Add the 55 minute track to the (empty) compilation, highlight the track, click Properties, then select the 'index, split etc' tab, which will let you put a set of indices where you want them, before burning the disc.

(I haven't actually done this myself - I just burned the whole thing in one piece, Amarok-style.)

My printer, alas, isn't up to the job of printing that beautiful artwork properly. The lettering is small, and no matter what settings I use, I can't make it legible at CD cover scale.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2006, 04:09

Hi Edorado, I've been given a copy of your CD by Alan, thanks Alan :D , all I can say is WOW!!! 55 minutes of brilliance.  :D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
gromloft Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2007, 10:47

I don&#8217;t know what to say&#8230;.my second post here, the reason is you once again. I told you I&#8217; m one of your biggest fans. Great music, music that makes you go crazy, cry, laugh, relax, imagine&#8230;.a state of the art! If only I could show to you how I like it! Thank you for sharing your inspiration.
Profile PM 
gromloft Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2007, 10:52

I don't know what to say...my second post here, the reason is you once again. I told you I'm one of your biggest fans.Great music, music that makes you go crazy, cry, laugh, relax, imagine....a state of the art! If only I could show to you how I like and appreciate it. Thank you for sharing your inspiration.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2007, 03:50

Wow, I didn't think this had been completed. Thought it dropped off the face of the earth. Too bad I didn't get to record that last guitar triplet part on its own for ya. Ah well. Downloading now. Hope it's as good as I remember it.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 01 2007, 15:36

Well, I gotta say I'm a bit let down. For most of it I was skipping through looking for the parts we all made together (which goes to show the style didn't stand on its own for me) only to find them stripped down and severely edited. Not to mention that those parts made up about 5% of the whole piece. Honestly, the whole thing seems like a big ambient track with no direction or solid theme (except for the excessive use of the super-warbly guitar everywhere which I didn't like). Great mixing work and technical know-how. I just don't think it stands up as a musical piece I'd listen to as much as Amarok. The original working demos you collaged out of our pieces sounded better, IMO. Good effort.

Am I the only one who has a negative comment?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2007, 06:38

Nope.
I had some comments as well. I like the piece for it is surely the best he has done so far. But it is not a coherent composition, not balanced enough. The first part being to long: not to my taste, but compared to parts 3 and 4. Part 3 could have been the same, but part 4 more spun out.
Anyway, i wasn't asked for what i think of it, just found out like you that it existed.
I haven't been in contact with Edo lately and looking at all the girls he has collected on his myspace i guess it will be like that for a long while. I do not judge him for that. It's just that even when you're on your way to fame and glory you need to take some bad crytics as well.
I have listened to your new composition and i'm very much looking forward to it being completed.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
DarkenedEdo Offline

Posted: April 19 2007, 09:34

Fame and glory? So far from it...

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: April 21 2007, 11:58

So why is your myspace full of techno and house music? Not that there's anything wrong with it but it seems kind of hypocritical especially when you have none of your other (better) music on there....

EDIT: Ah wait. I see now that you have 2 myspace's. My mistake.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
gromloft Offline

Posted: July 15 2007, 19:03

Edoardo, this piece of music is a masterpiece! It stands against the time! I listen to all these excellent 55 mins again and again and......
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2008, 19:41

I'd completely forgotten i had this track, but was browsing through my Windows Media player and saw a track I didn't recognise. For some reason WMP had it tagged as a Klause Schultz track, so I played it and re-discovered 55 minutes of brilliance.

I can't comment on how it was made, or on Edo's current musical taste/friends, but I can say I really enjoyed listening to it again today. And that's what really matters with any music - did it connect with me - make me feel something? And this track did.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2008, 19:23

I wouldn't have seen the topic if Olrac's bump hadn't caught by eye.  So I gave "Babel" a try and I was very pleased and impressed with it.  Well done, Edoardo.  It's a great piece of work.  At times very reminiscent of Tangerine Dream and then suddenly great sweeps of Oldfieldian guitar cut through the textures.  I would presume that those bits were Brandon's contributions (the NOT-"super-warbly" parts).  Brief they may be, but they would seem to make all the difference.
Profile PM 
37 replies since Dec. 09 2006, 17:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net