Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Booklet credits for Romance & Closer, A bit perplexing...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 15:34

Due to the fact that I have so little time to read carefully all the posts in all the new topics, I don't really know if this has been mentioned previously or not. If it has, please forgive me and point me to the appropriate thread. :)

In the Light & Shade booklet, Mike is credited as writer on two pieces he didn't write: "Romance", whose composer is unknown (a while ago I thought it was by Narciso Yepes, but then I found out that he only did the best-known guitar arrangement, the one heard in the Jeux interdits movie); and "Closer" a.k.a. "Pres de Toi" a.k.a. "Nearer my God to Thee", which is traditional. Now, what perplexes me a bit is the fact that on the cover of the Voyager album (the last one before L&S where Mike played music he didn't write) there are at least two pieces being credited as "Traditional, arranged by Mike Oldfield", that are not traditional at all!! :) So, I'm wondering whether it was only carelessness by the booklet compilers, or it was done on purpose - to make Mike appear as the writer of his own versions of those tunes so that he could get royalties from them... although I can't really picture him as a greedy kind of guy. :)
So, what do you think?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 15:36

He'd get royalties for at least Romance anyway, since the composer is unkown, right?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 20:23

But for Slipstream, the writer was credited(Cluts,aka Jason Cluts).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Locutus Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 12:14

(im not here to solve the problem)
just to add that Etude from The Killing Fields was also extremly highlighted as a  F.Tarrega - Recuerdos de la Alhambra, a tremolo piece for guitar.(on remaster edition anyway)

maybe he's calling the shots because of the melody key change,and a general belief that trad. tunes are actually res derelicta....
Profile PM 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 06:29

I immediately recognised Oldfield's "Romance" as the Swedish -as I thought - song "Du är den ende" (which means "You are the only one")! :O The most famous version of it is sung by Lill Lindfors. I only knew that the lyrics were penned by poet Bo Setterlind, but I had never thought about who the composer is. Now I had to find out!

A web site for a choir has the song credited to
Music: V Gomez.

Another site had this information about the composer and the title:
Trad./V.Gomez - Romance de Amor

A traditional tune adapted by (or composed by) V. Gomez?
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 29 2006, 07:05

Quote (Hillbilly @ July 29 2006, 12:29)
I immediately recognised Oldfield's "Romance" as the Swedish -as I thought - song "Du är den ende" (which means "You are the only one")! :O The most famous version of it is sung by Lill Lindfors. I only knew that the lyrics were penned by poet Bo Setterlind, but I had never thought about who the composer is. Now I had to find out!

yes true, because everytime i play romance when mom is here, she sings the lyrics to that song  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 08:01

Quote (Tubularman @ July 29 2006, 07:05)
yes true, because everytime i play romance when mom is here, she sings the lyrics to that song  ;)

you should hide a microphone in your room and record her when she's coming over!!
Then put it on the web and you'll have a hitsong :) :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 29 2006, 08:18

hehe, maybe maybe..
but i think she would kill me if she find out...
:O

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: July 29 2006, 08:21

yeah, it may indeed not be such a good idea after all  ;)

:laugh:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2006, 13:47

The norwegian singer Sissel sings it too. Beautyful - both the song and her...
Profile PM 
9 replies since Oct. 02 2005, 15:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net