Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Bonus Tracks, What do you think of them?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
arron11196 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 13:16

Perhaps because he had no limits to fill, placed on him by other people's involvment, he just expanded too far in some areas for some people and not far enough in others.

Perhaps this is why L + S was recieved so badly, because it was so... unhomogenous. I can still detect no link between any track on Light, other than the fact that it is happy, unlike Shade, which appears to have actually been thought about, music content aside. Perhaps if he had had some direction through the creation if this the idea would have crystalised more evenly.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 14:06

I'm either confused or just dumb...  where are the bonus tracks on L&S?

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 16:36

The official UK release had two bonus tracks, Pres De Toi (which uses the same melody as in Closer, but in the Celtic way which lends itself to the tune) and Lakme, which was based upon a Fruity Loops sample that came with the program.

Also, there is Cook's Tune, which has been released through Conrad.de (there is also a short video clip of Mike introducing the track and its exclusivity to conrad) and appears to be available only at 128 kbps in its original format.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 17:24

Quote (TOBY @ Nov. 06 2005, 17:38)
My only beef with MVR is that Mike came up with this amazing idea for a interactive audio visual experience, made it technically achievable and then didn't really know what to do with it from then on. I mean throwing boomerangs at things and getting hoops on dolphins noses just seems a bit overly simplistic to me

Gosh, this off-topicness will draw the fire of the admins I'm sure, but... those things are the incidentals Toby - something to play with on the first couple of visits while you get drawn into its world. The awesomeness of Tres Lunas is that you never get to the bottom of it. The thing has a life of its own. This very evening four of us embarked on a great expedition across a vast cratered plain to the green mountain, from which it's possible to fly up into space and move at will among the most amazing sights. Two of us eventually met up at the tip of a giant obelisk standing in a great plain, that simply had no rational right to be there. But it was there nonetheless.

No one has ever been there before and done all this before us. I've been playing the game for over three years and have never discovered how to do this before. And something new, and strange and awesome, and stunningly beautiful is happening like this all the time. The hundreds of posts in the mvr forum discussing new discoveries are testimony to the inexhaustible possibilities in it - far, far beyond what Mike and the MVR team originally planned for.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 18:18

Sounds superb, and you're right Alan Tres Lunas does have a mind of its own. I'm not sure how much of that sort of random thing is deliberate coding, though I would like to think it was. MVR wouldn't be alone if it wasn't, in that quite a few even very well produced games have coding glitches which sometimes end up being the best part of the game.

Mean while back on topic....
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 04:40

Quote (TOBY @ Nov. 06 2005, 23:18)
I'm not sure how much of that sort of random thing is deliberate coding, though I would like to think it was. MVR wouldn't be alone if it wasn't, in that quite a few even very well produced games have coding glitches which sometimes end up being the best part of the game.

Last word on this in this thread, I promise.

Clearly what we are exploiting are coding glitches. But because of the flexibility in the way it's programmed, the world still rebuilds itself in a coherent way - it will find a new mode of existence, even when something goes wrong. That's why it feels as if the thing is alive. Living things behave like that.

When it happens you don't find yourself thinking, 'oh, here's an interesting bug'. You think 'Wow, here's a new world'.

(My apologies once more to everyone who was wanting to read about bonus tracks!!! )
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 06:18

Well, to be fair, some of the tracks on L+ S come indirectly from the Tr3s Lunas project, so I suppose it's linked vaguely...

:D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 08:20

Ah.

Saw L+S in the shops today complete with bonus tracks.

I ordered mine from CDWow.co.uk, so it probably came from somewhere strange, hence the lack of bonus tracks.

Bugger!!

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 01 2007, 15:11

I didn't know Mike had done a 'Flower Duet' until I read one of the other topics, here. I am so grateful to you guys, because, otherwise, I would have just gotten the regular edition. Delibes' 'dome epais' has long been one of my favorite tunes. 'Lakme' doesn't entirely replicate a soprano, mezzo soprano, and orchestra, but then I don't need it to - Mike's version makes me so happy! I often listen to 'Lakme' at high volume on my headphones, and enjoy catching and following the secondary guitar line, and the rhythm guitar that comes in at about halfway through, and the guitar solo in the last quarter. To me, this track is bliss.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 06:18

I ended up ordering the CD from Amazon market to get the one with the bonus tracks.  Will edit with my thoughts when I have a listen.

The version in my local store (in Australia) is lacking them and the U-Myx.

[Edit] somewhat delayed, but I think the 2 bonus tracks are well worth the effort of tracking them down.  Cook's Tune is more of an oddity which seems to fit less well with the overall album.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 07:29

Quote (The Man who is He.. @ Oct. 12 2005, 13:05)
The bonus tracks I think are even worse than the poor album they appear on.
Complete tosh.

Says you.

I happen to like them a lot.

Have a nice day.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 31 2008, 12:36

Hehe. And people say The Millenium Bell is controversial.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 02:57

Quote (Sweetpea @ May 31 2008, 12:36)
Hehe. And people say The Millenium Bell is controversial.

Yes, it's funny - I always seem to really like the "controversial" ones   ;)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2009, 07:25

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 12 2005, 14:49)
The polarisation of my own opinions about the tracks on this album is starting to trouble me. It really is 'love' or 'hate', with very little in between.

In a sense such a response would justify the title: one's reaction is either love or hate, black or white, light or shade.

Unfortunately, my reaction to the pieces is much more of a sliding scale: the only track I actually hate is "nightshade" - and even that attracts a certain fascination by virtue of the fact that it creates in me such a strong emotion.

Does anyone else feel similarly polarized?
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 06 2009, 14:35

ohhh don´t get me started on light & shade... I could ramble on for hours and hours what I hate with this album...freaking preset 1...freaking preset 2...freaking preset 3...f..  :D

..so...there...is....bonus tracks ehh??

whatever takes the focus away from the original album, is a good thing   :p
54 replies since Oct. 12 2005, 11:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net