Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: blues and/or jazz< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tubularbills Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 04 2001, 22:08

I've enjoyed a lot of MO's music (not all, but most). and i think he's done a great job of spanding through many genres.

But i think he could/would do a really good job at blues or jazz. Something like "B. Blues" in Guitars (that's a really good one). I've noticed that there are some parts in some albums that are kind of like blues (parts of TSODE, TB3, Guitars) and are really good.

I wonder what a full length blues album would sound like. I'd imagine it would be great.

if he was to do this style of music, i think it would kind of get rid of the stereotype that his music lately is only changing to fit the times. a blues album would show that he creates music either for himself or for fans, and not for the general media.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2001, 09:12

As a long-time devotee of the blues, I have to say that when I first listened to B. Blues, it struck me that it was someone trying to play the blues...and not entirely succeeding. It's the blues as if you were standing back and admiring it but not really immersing yourself in it. There's not a lot of soul to the piece, as far as blues go. Blues is more than a riff or two...it's a mind-set. And B. Blues doesn't have that mind-set.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 05 2001, 20:42

I believe that Mike may find the blues too limiting - it may not be in reality, but perhaps he perceives it that way...

I remember him mentioning once how he wasn't at all impressed with the likes of Eric Clapton, who Mike felt plays up and down the same old blues scale all the time.

B.Blues is apparently a tribute to BB King. If it's supposed to be the kind of tribute that wears its influences on its sleeve, it doesn't appear to, to me...But I suppose if Mike was thinking of BB King at the time, that's all that matters.

In Mike's very early stuff, he did play some bluesy stuff - he was quite into people like Led Zeppelin (though coming from them, it was more second hand blues...). I think there are a couple moments in his work with Kevin Ayers that show this more bluesy influence, but it was already shaping into something different. That happens with just about all things Mike does - he takes an outside influence and creates something of his own from it.

I can't see Mike creating a blues album. If he started off with the idea of one, the reality would probably be rather un-blues like...
There are loads of blues albums out there already - so many that they can start to sound rather like each other sometimes...I'm happy (as always) to see where Mike wants to go, and hear the results when he's been there.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2002, 05:08

What about Music From the Balcony. THat has some good jazz bits in it!

Visit www.global.net.au/~holmangp

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2002, 08:42

I have always thought of the Heaven's Open album,as a kind of Jazz thing,maybe because of Courney Pine being on it,but it all does sound Jazzy,as for Blues,like has been said above,i really don't think Blues is Mikes thing at all,he will through in a bit of Blues playing here and there,and do a Blues track "B Blues",but as for a whole album,i can't see that he would either want to do it,or enjoy it,i think he would find it very limiting,becuase compared to the music Mike makes,blues does'nt go anywhere
Profile PM 
4 replies since Oct. 04 2001, 22:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net