Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Blue Saloon Effects< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
costa Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 01 2000, 12:30

I would really like to know how mike gets his guitar sounds on blue saloon (the first doubled lead and the second high pitched screaming guitar) does he use a multieffect? if so which one or does he just use some bizarre pedals? I really want to know with all my effects i cannot get close.

Thanks alot
Costa
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 01 2000, 18:43

Mike's been using a Roland GP-8 processor for the last ten years or so for a lot of guitar sounds.

The doubled lead sound (the clean sound) is something like the neck pickup of his PRS, put through a compressor and with some treble rolled off. There is possibly a wah in there as well. Without experimenting, I can't really say what order those would be in, but at a guess, the guitar would probably go through the wah, into the compressor then through an equaliser to roll off the treble. On the subject of wah wah, mike tends not to use the standard wah pedals (crybaby and similar), instead getting the effect from sweeping the mid band of a parametric equaliser. He did have one with a pedal hat did this once. I know he's used the EQ on his Neve capricorn digital mixing desk to do this recently, which he might control with some sort of midi expression controller (I'm guessing here...).

The way he gets that exact screaming lead sound is a bit harder to pin down. There are certainly some frequencies being scooped out, probably with a parametric (or graphic) eq again (rather than the type of 3 band eq a lot of guitar amps/effects have). Certainly there's very little bass to the sound. I'd guess it's the PRS again, with the humbucking bridge pickup selected. The fact that it sounds fairly smooth suggests to me that some compression is being used in there. It's possible there's less actual distortion than you think - a lot of the 'screaming' sound is down to the way Mike picks (using fingernails) and the way harmonics can be controlled like this. There's still a fair amount of drive though, but it's more of a smooth overdrive than a fuzz. I'd guess the sound was equalised a fair amount afterwards to get that sound (perhaps filtering off some of the high end to get rid of any 'fizziness' in the sound).

I might have a play around sometime (always a good thing to do wink) and see if I can figure out more exactly what's being used to get those sounds.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 03 2000, 11:13

I managed to get a reasonable facsimile of the first sound with my Ibanez RG520 and a Korg AX1B effects unit (actually meant for bass). It comes down to:
neck pickup
treble down a bit
a bit of overdrive
a lot of compression
a hint of autowah
a smidgin of reverb

My main problem is using fingers like that as well as the tremelo arm. Tricky!
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2000, 16:59

I can agree with that, although I assume the overdrive (and probably wah as well) intended for bass will be working on slightly different frequencies to one intended for guitar. Still, worth a try for people with multi fx units. I still haven't had a try at the sound yet...I'll get round to it sometime in the next 50 years...
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 23 2000, 05:51

If anyone is interested, Roland have just released a new version of their virtual guitar. Mike made extensive use of the VG-8, the new toy is the VG-88. It is apparently very good and I want one. It can probably do the Mike sounds that we're after.

Who knows, Mike may have upgraded to the new v-guitar himself!
Profile PM 
The Feeling Project Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 08 2001, 03:23

is that english you are speaking korgscrew??? This is my first post and I too am interested in getting soem cool guitar sounds but if I buy something I want to be able to use other instruments to including a microphone. Do I have to buy seperate electronic devices or is there a good all in one deal??? Korg I know you know what your talking about but you lost me. When I become more fluent with these new machines maybe I will understand.

Thanks - Tfp
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2001, 18:51

It's a dialect of English known as Korgscrew-ese (yes, a very imaginitive name...). I'd be very suprised if anyone understood it totally wink.

Anyway, to answer your question briefly, it's perfectly possible to buy one unit to use for lots of different applications. There's one out there called the Boss VF-1 (I think - not totally certain of that model name, but it's a little red half-rack box) that is supposed to be good for both guitars (it has a built in amplifier simulator, so you can plug it direct into a computer, multitracker or similar and it'll sound like you're plugged into a guitar amp) and other things like vocals.
Most effects units can be plugged into the effects loop of an amp. If you don't need a processor that can do overdrive sounds, there are a lot of units out there which would be suitable. Most take a line level input though - different from guitar level, so you'd either need to send the guitar signal to it via a DI (Direct Injection, a box made to allow you to plug guitars straight into a mixing desk) box, put the unit in an amp's effects loop, or plug it into another unit with a guitar input first. There are probably a few other ways I'm not thinking of right now... The same is true with microphones - not many effects units have a mic input, so you'll need something to bring the level of the microphone up to line level first. There are some dedicated mic preamps that could be used for that purpose, or you could use a mixer (as long as it has mic preamps on it). You might even be able to play around with a computer soundcard and use that to bring the mic signals up to line level.

I hope this has been helpful somehow...ask if there's something you don't understand though smile.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Nov. 01 2000, 12:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net