Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Blackbird< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 01 2005, 19:54

Definitely three hands on the go - is Mike related to Zaphod Beeblebrox?

One Galactic Gargle Blaster too many in the whole concept

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Simme Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2006, 04:12

Hi!
I don´t think so. I´ve never seen him with two heads. :)
But my question: Is there someone in outer space who is able to make .mid version of "Blackbird"? I´m creating a little freeware game and I would be pleased to use the music!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2006, 19:44

Quote (jeremyroberts @ Oct. 16 2005, 20:53)
I haven't found a topic about that track so I create one...

Who in the world would mix a unemotional sequenced bad-sounding mono piano sample (the 10-year old piano preset of the Roland JV1080) with a 75-year old Steinway Grand Piano?

Answer: Mike Oldfield.

Why he did that?

Simply because he couldn't play the whole track on the piano with his two hands. Or... yes he could have played it. It would have take him some practicing.

One more reason to say this album is a very lazy effort.

Very very lazy...

:/

Really, call me a cloth eared nincompoop, but I would never have guessed Blackbird was played on more than one piano :) . Personally speaking, I've always found Blackbird to be a beautiful track.  

If Mike was being "lazy" with L&S, it's pretty damned good album, considering his laziness  :D.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2006, 16:58

I definetely didn't hear a difference anywhere. You must be real audiophiles here.  :)
Profile PM 
Robbie Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2006, 11:41

It seems to me that L+S ended to suddenly. Maybe a complex or...hmm...better ending would be appriciated.

Anyway i like this album, mostly Shade side!!
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 18:47

Hello everybody I'm back.  :cool:  LOL

What I like on this forum, it's the fact that no thread is wasted. The threads can last very long and there are answer sometimes years after the 1st post was written. :D

I haven't listen to L+S for a long long time. I'm here listening the magnificent beauty of Incantations.  :zzz:
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 18:53

Quote (Simme @ Jan. 03 2006, 04:12)
Hi!
I don´t think so. I´ve never seen him with two heads. :)
But my question: Is there someone in outer space who is able to make .mid version of "Blackbird"? I´m creating a little freeware game and I would be pleased to use the music!

As long as it is the Zaphod from the old BBC show, not the awful new one who only added to the dismal failure of that movie last year :(

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 04:04

Does anyone else hear little snatches from 'Eleanor Rigby' in 'Blackbird'? Or it this the onset of some terminal audio hallucination syndrome?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 05:15

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 16 2006, 04:04)
Does anyone else hear little snatches from 'Eleanor Rigby' in 'Blackbird'? Or it this the onset of some terminal audio hallucination syndrome?

Wow, that I'll have to check. But snatches of a song from the White Album would be more coherent, I think; "Blackbird" and all.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 12:33

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 16 2006, 04:04)

I know what parts you mean.  Yeah, very slight similarities there.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 13:57

Unpopularly enough, I liked both the movie and the Zaphod. :)

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 11 2006, 10:19

Hi! I have to say I love 'Blackbird', as a soft kind of minimalistic beauty in the vein of Michael Nyman or Wim Mertens. It's beautiful and even if it's played with samples (or did Mike say it was done with a real piano) it sounds completely live and emotional.

There's no quantization in this tune and if there is some it's very slight 'cos you can hear that looneness in the playing.

I would say this song as well as 'Rocky' is a step ahed for Mike and I would like him to make more beautiful nostalgic / melancholic tunes like this one.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: May 16 2006, 12:23

Agreed, Delfin - Blackbird is one of my favourite tracks from Light And Shade (was going to just type "L&S" there, but I'd hate for anyone to accuse me of being lazy...)

I'm not much of a musician, I'm afraid, (which sometimes makes me feel like I'm in a minority in this community, I must admit) - I just enjoy Mike's music, and know from my own experience that, sometimes, the emotional impact of music or art can be ruined by too much analysis, especially when that analysis takes the form of a debate on whether "Mike's piano sounds are c**p or not" - Why not just enjoy the sounds?

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 12 2006, 20:52

This one has not been a favorite, but the other day I was doing some sun worshipping, had the iPod on shuffle, and it came up. It had been so long since I heard it, and in that I have lots of George Winston uploaded, I immediately thought it was one of his pieces, and thought, "How lovely--why I am not remembering its name?" I laughed out loud when I read its name--and shortly thereafter decided it was too long for what was going on (or not). Still, I liked it better than I ever have--found it nearly conducive to my state of Zen. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2006, 16:59

Blackbird seems to be one of those tracks which you don't necessarily seek out of the collection, but you always like it when it comes up. This is my favourite track on the "Light" collection, basically because it is a beautiful, pure and unadulterated piano tune.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 14 2006, 15:57

I can't believe but I just realised where the Blackbird/Eleanor Rigby connection comes from. It's right at the beginning of the song! The downwards melody and all. Indeed, it's a remarkable similarity, which to me sounds like a merry coincidence.

I still think the Beatles/Kraftwerk crossover I've seen on ytmnd.com, crossing over Eleanor Rigby with Tour De France, is more impressive. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2006, 16:39

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 14 2006, 20:57)
I can't believe but I just realised where the Blackbird/Eleanor Rigby connection comes from. It's right at the beginning of the song! The downwards melody and all. Indeed, it's a remarkable similarity, which to me sounds like a merry coincidence.

Oh yes, I'm quite sure it's just one of those things.... a coincidence, of no intended significance at all.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 14 2006, 19:29

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ May 16 2006, 18:23)
the emotional impact of music or art can be ruined by too much analysis, especially when that analysis takes the form of a debate on whether "Mike's piano sounds are c**p or not" - Why not just enjoy the sounds?

could not been said better!
i totally agree you on that.
Im a huge fan of this track and still i love it. No words will kill it  ;)
or analysis  :laugh:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2008, 04:03

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ May 16 2006, 12:23)
I just enjoy Mike's music, and know from my own experience that, sometimes, the emotional impact of music or art can be ruined by too much analysis, especially when that analysis takes the form of a debate on whether "Mike's piano sounds are c**p or not" - Why not just enjoy the sounds?

My thoughts, as well, Tony. I have to admit that although I've always enjoyed L+S, I hadn't given "Blackbird" proper consideration, before now. It really is quite beautiful, isn't it? Heartbreaking, even. To me, it seems reminiscent of "Jungle Gardenia", and "Daydream" (at least, in the mood it evokes), and precursive of MOTS. At the same time, it treads close to my limit for piano tolerance. But that's my own bugaboo and no fault of MO's.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 28 2008, 05:45

Quote (jeremyroberts @ Feb. 15 2006, 23:47)
What I like on this forum, it's the fact that no thread is wasted. The threads can last very long and there are answer sometimes years after the 1st post was written.

Especially with Sweetpea around   :D

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
43 replies since Oct. 16 2005, 15:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net