Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Best Of British, Holidays, Lifestyle, Beaches< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 419 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 28 2010, 22:43

Britain has some lovely holiday spots. Blackpool, Bournemouth and funfairs. Where do you like to go in summer? What memories do you have of childhood summer vacations?
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 05:01

Quote (ex member 419 @ Mar. 01 2010, 03:43)
Britain has some lovely holiday spots. Blackpool, Bournemouth and funfairs. Where do you like to go in summer? What memories do you have of childhood summer vacations?

Blackpool?

Give me North Uist any day. Who needs funfairs when you can have beaches like these  :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 05:27

Yeah those are the kind of beaches I like Matt.I love a lot of the coastline from Applecross and up through Torridon to Gairloch.In the middle of summer on a red hot day many of them are still practicaly deserted.That said I do still like Blackpool.The place is dropping to bits,everything`s cheesey as hell and it invariably rains.Last year myself and about 12 friends went down there for a car convention,and ended up sharing a cheap run down B&B with 14 nurses from Doncaster.We were even allowed to smoke in the bar area,a great time was had by all in fact.I should add that I did manage to come back home with a clear conscience,barring a long conversation with a girl with a hairy lower back in a lapdance club.I was just being sociable you know,going with the flow and all that.  :p

@Funnily enough last year we stayed at a campsite/beach called Seaward just outside the village of Kircudbright S.W. Scotland.Lovely area with nice quiet beaches,forest walks etc.We may go back again this year actualy.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 05:33

Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 01 2010, 10:27)
@ex Funnily enough last year we stayed at a campsite/beach called Seaward just outside the village of Kircudbright S.W. Scotland.Lovely area with nice quiet beaches,forest walks etc.We may go back again this year actualy.

Cool! The same people also run nearby Brighouse Bay which we've camped at before. Agree that is a lovely area!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 05:49

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 01 2010, 05:01)
Quote (ex member 419 @ Mar. 01 2010, 03:43)

Blackpool?

Give me North Uist any day. Who needs funfairs when you can have beaches like these  :)

Wow - that landscape looks just like one of the beaches here in south west Australia!
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 05:51

Nice beach Matt. I know there are lovely beaches throughout the UK. I get the English Womens Weekly and Peoples Friend and there are articles on best value holiday spots. I love the lifestyle articles and use the ideas in my home. @Dirk, my grand father on dads side was from Liverpool, our family name is English. My mums side is Scottish so I do feel like coming over just to see where they lived. Despite the bagging that summer gets in the UK its still a great place to be!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 09:27

Blackpool?Oh god.You've never been there have you?Call me a snob (and a southern one at that)but it epitomises everything tacky about British holidays.Went there once as a kid when we lived in Stoke.Only thing i can remember is,for whatever reason,my dad and his uncle decided to have a hamburger eating competition.Why?Haven't a clue!And it was raining!
For me the South West is the place to go.Spent a lot of time in Exmouth as a kid.Nice place when it's hot.I know i got horrendously sunburnt several times as a child a i had blond hair then.Still never take my top off no matter how hot it gets as i burn so easily!
The Isle Of Wight is my favourite seaside place in summer.
It's like stepping back in time from the moment you step off the ferry/hovercraft (the most fun way to get there for a big kid like me)/car ferry.There's a timeless quality to it if you get away from all the touristy stuff.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 12:41

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 01 2010, 14:27)

Only thing i can remember is,for whatever reason,my dad and his uncle decided to have a hamburger eating competition.Why?

:laugh: I don`t know that really appeals to me actualy.I love all those out-dated old time seaside towns Blackpool,Scarborough,Skegness etc.Most of them get kind of over-run with Stag-Do`s and Hen Nights these days I guess,but they still have a certain slightly delapitated historical charm for me.South West is great to though Caveman,had many a good holiday down in Devon & Cornwall

Anyway seen as how today is St.David`s Day I love this place below Portmeirion,Wales....Be Seeing You.  ;)

@Matt.. Yes I remember we did drive along to Brighouse Bay when we were up there last for a little look around.It is a great area I agree.A lot of people kind of miss it out I think in their clamour to get to the Highlands or whatever,so it stays comparitivey quiet.That said I remember one day driving down through some of the villages in the Wigtown peninsula and thinking "Is this where people come to die" ?
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 13:41

I assume I must be excluded(excuse me I need to shut Peter Gabriel up! God awefull new album.) Since I don't live there. So I suppose no answer. But if I could answer the question for other countries, would I have your approval? I don't want to violate any rules.... Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2010, 19:01

I have to say the only images I have ever seen of Blackpool were in movies from the 70s. So it must be getting a little run down by now. Im enjoying hearing about your favourite holiday spots. Seriously I need a holiday and winter in Tassie is awful. I have research to do in the UK at Oxford and Cambridge. Instead of passively reading the papers, I could be over there having live debates with some of the best thinkers. Plus I have always wanted to get a hands on experience of governance in the UK..
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2010, 04:35

Hey Oxford's nice.No where near the sea though.Good pubs and loads of live music.Let me know when you're here cos i only live 25 miles away!

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2010, 06:44

Thanks Caveman, I will shout you a pint and a meal! Really might be there late April. It will be a nice change. I love the pub food from the docos Iv seen, and the British cooking shows. Anywhere but Australia for a while.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2010, 08:44

Depends where you go.There are some good places to eat in Oxford but i also had the worst veggie sunday roast i've had in a pub in  Jericho which is a part of Oxford.Let me know when you know when you're coming over.I know Oxford pretty well as it's the nearest city to Banbury where i live.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2010, 11:19

Well, you should have seen the beaches when I was in Taiwan from 1966-69. Incredible. But that's not British so I'll shut my guldern(keeping my FO promise) finger(I only type with one. I got it! I'll tell the story in my own thread! Coming to a monitor near you: "Taiwan" by Jimmy(thats what they called me then). But I'm too tired right now.
Jimmy

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2010, 19:04

I lived in Exeter for 20 years, and never really appreciated all the beaches and moors until last year when we moved away. My #1 son is still there with his mum and can get a return train to the beach for a cheaper fare than the bus into town  so he and his mates spend most of the summer getting up to not a lot on Teignmouth or Dawlish beach.

Good to know he'll have great memories when he's older. Shame he's so anti-Oldfield.

I have similar childhood memories, I lived on a small island of the Essex coast. Mersea (Tati have you been yet?), and spent nearly every summer barefoot, only ever going home for supper.

Anyway - where would i say my favourite UK places are?

Dartmoor, early spring on a clear day (this is my youngest, the girl not the pony)

But any day with my family, especially ones that end like this  :D

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2010, 04:45

Aaaah Dawlish Warren.Ain't changed a bit since i used to on holiday to Exeter to see the family. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
15 replies since Feb. 28 2010, 22:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net