Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Best listened to without headphones!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 12 2002, 11:37

Finally bought MB as it was on sale at my local CD shop for $10 (that's about 4 quid! )
Previously I had listened to most of the tracks on MP3 through headphones and didn't really like them much. But I put MB on my HIFI and blasted it out into my bedroom for the first time on buying the CD and found the quality really great - the whole album flows really well and is very atmospheric.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2002, 05:04

Yeah, it does have a great feel. One of the things that I've noticed about this album is that while it might not be the best, it certainly sounds like a Mike Oldfield album. I don't find it has any of the modern sanitization that some of his other albums tend to have nowadays. It certainly does sound very fresh, even though it isn't the greatest MO experience. It is a very atmospheric and flowing album, and I also really like the ending, I find it quite uplifting.

For an even better experience, get the Berlin 2000 DVD. The DVD first opened by ears to the album, and the other songs are great! Get it if you have a DVD player

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
lazeeladuk Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2002, 03:09

or the volume turned up!! hahahah! JUST KIDDING!!
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 15:50

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 19 2002, 05:04)
For an even better experience, get the Berlin 2000 DVD. The DVD first opened by ears to the album, and the other songs are great!

i must admit that i got it on my shelf during three years without paying much attention to it... i think this is the one that has taken me more time to 'understand' and from the moment i watched the dvd i got hold to it... it has been the only cd in my cd rom since last weekend. when i bought the berlin 2000 dvd i was looking forward to watching the 'art in heaven' piece (and i indeed think guitar and lights are awesome there) but i was really surprised about tmb tracks in it...

'the doge's palace' is great, the strings, the voices... they all drawing fast spirals... followed by the smart and smooth 'lake constance', i love the clear sound of the classical guitar hold by the orchestra.
and the one that says more to me without doubts is 'broad sunlit uplands', every time i listen to it i feel those shivers... he wisely drew on it the sadness of war... but at the end of it the harmonica (?) gives it hope and hope is what imho is all along this album, hope and a huge strenght
these are till this moment the ones which i'm more keen on but also love the cheerful chants to earth in 'pacha mama' and 'the millenium bell' closes the album with a sweet taste in mouth... actually i don't skip any track. even being different there's a strong feeling of unity among them.

and it's good listening to it at a high volume with or without headphones :D

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since Aug. 12 2002, 11:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net