Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Best guitar, Is there one< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
afghan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 05:06

In view of the resent poll "best guitarist" and mikes unlikely success and coming and goings. Iwas wondering if you had to prove to others "non oldfield fans" that mike deserved to be there,which i think he undoubtably does.If you had to pick one section or one piece of mikes skill on the guitar which would it be .To make it a bit more difficult because of mikes vast amount of materal i think it should be limited to say a 3 minute section or compolation. ;)

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 19:19

The fast solo in Lion Reprise (Amarok) and the similar one in Ommadawn part 1, just after the 'bird song' slow piece. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 20:11

Well I was pondering this one earlier, and the first thing that came to mind was Ommadawn Part 1 guitar build up and  climax, but I think the guitar part goes on for over three minutes, before fading out with Jabula's drums,  so explosive and mesmerising, Mike's screaming guitar commands to be heard  :) .

If the   Ommadawn guitar section does break the 3 minute mark as I think it may well do, then I would say,

Both "Peace"/"Ambient Guitars" from TB along with Mike Oldfield's Single (Theme from Tubular Bells),  "Guitars sounding like bagpipes"  would be the album equivalent.   OK I think this is 4mins 11 secs running time, but both these pieces are examples of some first rate acoustic playing, from a then  troubled teenager, He felt unable to express himself using his voice, but give him a guitar, how he could make up for it:), such emotion, I've just listened to MO's Single, yes I had tears rolling down my face, no not 'cause I'm sad, I'm at a happy stage in my life, if not my happiest, so far.  I was crying as I was so moved by Mike's emotion that he puts into his playing.   Hendrix as the no.1 guitarist ever  :/ ???, yes he could play, but his music doesn't move me to the extent of Mike's.    

Far Above The Clouds solo, yes like Ommadawn I love the way this builds into an electrifying climax, there's soo much happening, and then peace, all is peaceful in the world.

Lunatic's Lament Kevin Ayers and the Whole World  I was playing this album earlier on today, I just love that guitar solo from Mike, this is Mike really fuelling the fire, just feel the intensity of the blast, an all out  blistering attack.    I don't think Mike has played in a style like this since.

I had immense difficulty in narrowing down the list to  just these choices,  I'd be hopeless to have to pick out just one of Mike's guitar solo, so here are the ones I'd play to a non fan to try and interest them into Mike's music.  :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 23:21

For sheer emotional impact - an excerpt from Incantations Part 3 - the unbelievable guitar solo from about 3:30 to 8:30 -  I think you could take any 3 minute excerpt and still have some of Mike's most amazingly yearning, emotional guitar work to show off...

For sheer virtuoso fingerwork -
About 6 minutes into the performance of Ommadawn Pt1 on the Knebworth video mike launches into the stunning, spiralling guitar solo that occurs at about 9:47 on the album version... It blows me away every time! Any version of this solo would demonstrate Mike's genius but I think having the film to back it up makes it particularly powerful!

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2006, 07:10

My favourite one is the Altered State dual solo besides the already mentioned Ommadawn Part One middle guitar part and FATC. And I could also mention the extremely expressive No Dream solo. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2006, 07:24

I think I interpreted this just on the virtuoso level. :) If we were to take into account Mike's guitar playing in general (which seems to be what we're doing here...), I'd certainly include the solos in No Dream, FATC, Pictures in the Dark (the full solo in the extended version) and Northpoint, this latter one being very very very emotional IMHO. For acoustic playing, my thought goes to the first acoustic solo in the original TB (1973), where you can hear Mike inhaling with his nose... a real audio verité moment which clearly shows how much Mike was 'into' that solo. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2006, 11:34

I'd send them the lounge interview for a demonstration of excellent acoustic guitar, then play from 5.40 of Amarok. :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2006, 06:26

For acoustic guitar playing, i would recomend taurus 3- some of the best acoustic playing ive heard..

For speedy electric guitar playing, i think Dark star from tb2...

i hope i mean to say dark star, as i am awful at remebering track names!! even though it is my favourite album of all time!!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Fram Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 05:40

Taurus 3, indeed (the version he played on MTV (Ray Cokes or Paul King, can't remember) was wonderful to see).
If you want Ommadawn part 1 final and it has to be short, take the French single version: the power and the glory.
Some of his pop singles have beautiful solos and double solos, like To France. I don't know if they are difficult (I'm no musician), but they are just great.

--------------
Knowledge is a curse, but ignorance is worse
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 07:42

Quote (Fram @ Feb. 28 2006, 11:40)
Taurus 3, indeed (the version he played on MTV (Ray Cokes or Paul King, can't remember) was wonderful to see).
If you want Ommadawn part 1 final and it has to be short, take the French single version: the power and the glory.
Some of his pop singles have beautiful solos and double solos, like To France. I don't know if they are difficult (I'm no musician), but they are just great.

I couldn't say any better ;)

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 12:03

What about Guitars - any of it!

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Clodomir Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2006, 07:52

Quote (Ugo @ Feb. 25 2006, 19:19)
The fast solo in Lion Reprise (Amarok) and the similar one in Ommadawn part 1, just after the 'bird song' slow piece. :)

I think those guitar solos are 'double speed guitars', that means that is had been played actually at half speed.

--------------
Mike Oldfield - Blog d'une passion
http://www.mike-oldfield.net
Profile PM WEB 
11 replies since Feb. 25 2006, 05:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net