Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: best album ever!!!!!!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Hoot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 27 2006, 11:53

I bit the bullet and have stated that TSODE is Mike's best album, my fav piece (after much consideration) has to be Ascension! Its pure brilliance, specially the 1st minute, its truly something special, I was listening to it recently and when Ascension came on I listened to the 1st minute then cudnt help myself but rewind it then listen to it again, and again, and AGAIN..........eventually I realised I had listened to the 1st minute repeatedly for a half hour.....thats how much I love that piece of music!

--------------
"And God said: Let There Be Light"
-Genisis,The Bible
(alternatively-The Songs Of Distant Earth,In The Begining)
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel101 Offline

Posted: June 04 2006, 14:22

TSODE is the definitive iPod-Experience. Just bought an iPod nano which I'm currently filling with the music I love. Having TSODE directly on my ears now with Ascension rising to its final climax I'm convinced it's Mike's best work, even better than Amarok. I simply can't think of music more powerful, masterful, moving, epic, haunting, up-lifting than TSODE. Mike, please prove to me that I'm not right :-)
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: July 03 2006, 03:47

I remember the first time I listened to TSODE. I was in a true rage. It had been a really bad day, and not even Gene Kelly's magnificent rendition of Singin' In The Rain could not calm me down. So, I sat down a listened to the Album I'd just bought, which was TSODE. I left the experience feeling the absolute reverse of how I felt prior to the experience. I felt joyful, ecstatic, and in a sense, rehabilitated. My rage had evaporated, right from the point of "In The Beginning" and that wonderful burst at "Supernova", right to "A New Beginning", I felt like I'd found a new home somewhere. Strange, bittersweet and wonderful. It is truly a magnificent album, one of Mike's best.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: July 03 2006, 09:46

Going back to an old post:

In the first post, it is said you own the record of TSODE and hear static blips.

That record is very rare (forced, through limited production :(  ) and worth about 250€ IIRC.  If you bought it new and you hear static blips, I suggest you use a professional disc cleaner system and antistatic product (no Lencoclean, that will kill the record! ) as it sounds as if the grease from the mold is still in your record.  Other possibility is that your 'table has an earth issue. In this case, a Distant earth issue :D.  As it is a new record (was :)) the possibility of damage can be left out, and as only 500 or 1000 were made, even number 1000 will be only halfway through the mold's life.

Final possibility is that you refer to the latent hiss of your turntable when the needle goes through silent grooves and your system volume is rather loud. You can't really get that out, but TSODE doesn't have many really silent passages so it should be no problem.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: July 03 2006, 11:10

Yes, probably his best record.
I agree... Next album should have the same grandiosity, but then iwith acoustic instruments  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: July 15 2006, 10:36

ah yeah best album ive got aswell. ive still got about 5 of his albums to get. but tsode is still my favourite from beginning to end. ommadawn is a close second tho.

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2006, 04:49

I have all Mikes albums :) TSODE is moste epic of all the albums...Like someone sed: A holl new world. Realy,it is.

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2006, 18:05

thanks for the record advice, my turntable isn't the best ever!
i actually had 2 copies on vynil, but sold one recently, 2 is just plain greedy!

i have played it only once as its for collection purposes so i usually listen to the cd, never played the tape either! lol.

i still love this album, and its still his best of recent times, im not comparing it to the classics, but in the spell after them this is the best release.

now - Let There Be Bed!!!!

;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 06:14

Mike had never made an album like that before and he hasn't done since.

TSODE bore a resemblence to his earlier work in the way that all the songs join together and form one long suite. Yet you can also listen to them on their own and enjy them as individual pieces of music.

It was a very modern album at the time and over 10 years later, it doesn't sound dated. As I said in another post, it's an album I never tire of. Everything about it is so beautiful.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 07 2007, 03:24

It's amusing to see the current top two threads being "Just a piece of rubbish!" and "best album ever!!!!!!!!". After my last immersion into this album, I was moved to tears, and I can say that - at this moment in time - I wholeheartedly agree with "best album ever!!!!!!!!".

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: July 09 2007, 18:19

How anyone can think this album is rubbish is quite beyond me!  I bought it today on a whim cause I needed an MO fix while I'm waiting for 2 of his other cds that I bought off t'internet to be delivered.
And having just finished listening to it for the first time, all I can say is... wow!
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 15:38

congrats on money well spent!

its a fantastic album, and should be enjoyed by all   ;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 15:55

It is certainly one of Mikes best, I love getting immersed in the music via the headfones it really is a calming trip.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 17:24

Best thing I've bought in a while, I reckon.  :)

And yeah, it really is an album you can get lost in.  I like it more with every listen (if that's possible since I thought it was awesome the first time I heard it)!
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: July 11 2007, 04:35

I first heard it not long after it came out... my local library had it on cassette, so I rented it out. I instantly fell in love with it.

I have a funny little memory associated with that time... it was a hot summer, and I spent a lot of it i my room playing 'Sim City' on my coputer, with the album playing non-stop. I always associate it with that game, which I loved back then.

I remember the 'thrill' of buying it on CD once I finally had a job, and getting to see the big version of the wonderful cover artwork.

The CD-ROM had me stuck for ages though... that bit wth the hand imprint. I've probably completely forgotten how to get past that bit now!

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 19:44

For me now, this is the album I play if I want to relax, and just drift away somewhere.  I can't have it on in the background while I'm actively doing anything else, because it lures me away from whatever I'm actively doing.  It's the music I fall asleep to almost every night.  
...But I don't mean that in a detrimental way.  It's a positive falling asleep, as opposed to a "this is sooo boring *snore*" falling asleep!  :)

Something that annoys me though, this rather awesome sounding CD-Rom of which you speak - it doesn't work on my computer!  A pox on technological incompatibility...  :(
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 20:38

In my opinion, TSODE is one of the best albums Mike has ever done. :) It's hard to call it "the best" because I like a lot of his albums! :D

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 09:40

I'm playing this for the first time as I write and I'm already blown away by its majesty and grace!

For me it ranks a close second to "Incantations" as being Mike's best IMHO.

Listening to every track just carries you away to a different dimension: especially with headphones on. Every track sets a particular tone/mood that does wonderful things with one's imagination.

Whenever I hear "Oceania" or "Only Time Will Tell" I see myself space-walking on the Space Shuttle, looking down on Earth, my home lost in the silent vastness of space. I get goosebumps even thinking about those tracks, and the hairs down spine stand on end  in anticipation!

Thank you, Mike.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 13:32

Quote (New Incantation @ Oct. 11 2007, 09:40)
For me it ranks a close second to "Incantations" as being Mike's best IMHO.

That's interesting. Incantations is my favorite album and TSODE is my least favorite one. But still there are similiarities. The excessive and huge arrangements, the crystaline production and a "travel-like" feel to the music.

Still I can't stand TSODE, and I've explained why elsewhere. The two albums have many similarities, but still they're worlds apart. That's how I feel.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 14:34

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Mar. 21 2003, 04:19)
TSODE has some of the...no wait....THE BEST guitar playing selections in all of Mike's albums IMHO.

Wrong! QE2 has :D

For me anyway :P

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
46 replies since Mar. 19 2003, 10:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net