Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: best album ever!!!!!!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bugular tell Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 19 2003, 10:25

This album is everything tre3 lunas wanted to be, and although tre3 lunas is an outstanding album it doesn't have the ambieance of tsode, i was lucky enough to get this album on vinyl as well as cd and tape, and i have to say that the record adds a little more depth to the sound, what with all the static blips, like it was recorded in space or something hehehe :p

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 19 2003, 19:36

Agreed! And to go a little further, Only Time Will Tell is the best MO song ever made IMHO. Actually, IMO, it's the best song all around ever made.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2003, 14:03

good choice! but i'd have to say that the power of fatc is awesome, when i went to horse guards parade and heard it live it was one of the highlights of my life also the then and now tour at wembely was excellent! :p

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2003, 20:27

I'm listening to this album at the moment. I'm not impressed (however, 'hibernaculum' and  'only time will tell' is pretty nice), but as I read these opinions, I'm willing to give it another try!

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2003, 23:19

TSODE has some of the...no wait....THE BEST guitar playing selections in all of Mike's albums IMHO. No climax comes close to Ascension's with it's many reprises and constant chord-changes and build ups. Simply stunning. Crystal Clear has some of the best guitar playing (while sticking emotionally well with the music) than anything I've heard. Let There Be Light is just an awesome catchy tune that gets stuck in your head easily and still full of emotion. Hibernaculum is also another emotionally good one like Only Time Will Tell. Suprenova is also a very beautiful build up. And Magellan is very triumphant and majestic and the use of that cool drum loop close to the beginning works very well with the other more orchestral-like stuff playing.

Overall, it's the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Give me another one like THAT, Mike, without trying to make a kind of goal like with Tr3s Lunas being chill-out and experimenting with sax-itar and just make one as you feel like TB3 and TSODE. Not that I hate Tr3s Lunas or it's sax-itar mind you, but the powerful majestic-ness of TSODE and the like cannot be contended with.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2003, 23:23

I love the way those echoes sound right at the start, it sounds like a whole prehistoric world coming to life in one simple sound. The Songs Of Distant Earth is often my favourite album by Mike, I think Let There Be Light is absolutely awesome, the way it keeps developing and using the operatic like chanting and the guitar solo and the airraid siren, its wonferful. I love the climax which leads into the drums and bagpipes, it sounds so anthemic and powerful. And Ascension is fantastic as well, the way it wraps all of the themes into one piece and it has a great drum beat as well. I just really enjoy the electronic but still rocky sound of this album, I bought the book a while back but still haven't read it. I'll get round to it eventually. If it's half as good as the album then I'll be very happy  :)

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Crossfire
Unregistered

Posted: April 16 2003, 09:24

I'm kinda partial to "Magellan" and "Lament For Atlantis," m'self.  "A New Beginning" tends to stick in one's head too, and I also love "Celtic Rain" from the Voyager album.

Something that could happen but shouldn't: "Amber Light" [just the chant, after the opening verse] used as the music for an airline commercial.  ;)   Then again, maybe "Magellan" would be more fitting...
Holger Offline

Posted: April 16 2003, 14:31

It's never been one of my favourite albums but, seeing you all rave about it, I'll give it another spin sometime soon. Maybe it's better than I thought, but it sounds a little too much like Enigma for my taste.
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: April 16 2003, 17:53

Quote (Holger @ April 16 2003, 14:31)
Maybe it's better than I thought, but it sounds a little too much like Enigma for my taste.

A lot of us fans like Enigma (not keen on that last re-mix album though), Any word when the next album is due out?

Anyway I digress, back to TSODE (I hate abbreviations, I am a member of the CAA, campane against abreviations, but we have a big problem as CAA is an abreviation in itself)

I digress, back to TSODE, Its just one brill album. :)

I use the percentage edit method on albums, where if I dont like a bit I cut it out. Whether onto a tape or a CD-R.

TSODE is just 100% brill, no edit. Cant say better than that.
Its hard for MO fans to decide between all these brill albums.

Remember to read the book, Cheers MO fan :D
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 17 2003, 21:56

I agree, TSODE is a brilliant album. I love the way it really transports you to Arthur C. Clarke's space world and keeps you there throughout the album. In the Beginning and Let there be Light are make one of the best introductions to an album of all time. I love the guitar work all through this album, with Crystal Clear being an absolute high point. Such an awesome solo! Hibernaculum and Tubular World are my other favourites, but Only time will Tell is also standing out. That beep beep beep really does suit the music. This was the last of Mike's real epic albums, and certainly one of the best.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2003, 16:19

its strange i bought this album on its day of release and listened to it 7 times that evening, i know that sounds sad, but it really was the best thing i have heard from mike, recently my journey time to work increased and so to quell the boredom i looked for a selection of cd's to listen to on the way to and from work, that was 3 weeks ago and TSODE is still in the cd player.
the reason for this is that with every listen, even now, it seems to get better and better, i found my self thinking that this is the last album that sounds like it was concentrated on, even though TB2003 is clinical in everyway the music was already there, voyager, while i love this album sounded rushed to me and guitars also, for me TSODE is the last (up to now) album mike composed with feeling and thought, rather than trying to work his way through a contract  :O

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2003, 05:57

Yup, Songs Of Distant Earth is a stunningly beautiful album. Though it loses steam in a couple of spots, the album holds a special kind of beauty that's hard to find somewhere else. Interestingly enough, I'm not much of a fan of Let There Be Light, Hibernaculum and Crystal Clear: way too... um, polished. I like the stuff with more impact, like Supernova/Magellan, The Shining Ones and several moments off of Ascension - featuring one of the best Splash Cymbals ever. :) While Amarok is a better album in every possible aspect ( :p ), Songs Of Distant Earth is certainly a landmark. Mike changed his style suddenly and abruptly, but didn't lose his golden touch. If only U2 could have done it that way... :D

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
shiverer Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2004, 13:51

This was one of those albums which really surpriseded me. I borrowed the album from my brother, and within about two days I had an original myself. And I must say, even in my car the album souds great, even after several weeks every morning from start to end... magnificent.
from the album is "tubular world" my favorite track, but the rest of the album is about is good as this one.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2004, 14:04

The Songs Of  A Distant Earth is a very good album. But is it a coincidence it sounds like Enigma taking into consideration that Cretu stole all of his ideas off of our Mikey? Or am i being sarcastic?  :/

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
shiverer Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2004, 13:42

the best album of enigma, MCMXC a.D. is, in my opinion, about as good as TSODE. But that is just my idea...
Profile PM 
user3476
Unregistered

Posted: April 19 2004, 13:16

TSODE is Mike's best album ever.
AlexS Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 13:58

I rank it as Mike's best alongside Tubular Bells. I've probably played TSODE more though.

Beautiful, atmospheric, moving, spiritual, musical, dramatic, dreamy, perfect.

I love it!!

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 16:22

I really can't decide between TSODE, Amarok, TB1+2, Ommadawn and HR. These are, for me, impossible to decide between. I love them all, but seemingly equally! Hard to explain without a graph or a super-boring post  ;)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 17:03

Yep, it's the best album ever  :)
I've also made a philosophic theory to prove it...

(audience): NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, OK then, it's just my opinion ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2005, 04:37

it still is his best work, and being a little pesimistic i will stick my neck out and say it will more than likely remain so, unless he has the albums to end all albums up his sleeve!  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
46 replies since Mar. 19 2003, 10:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net