Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: best album ever!!!!!!!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
starec Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 16:15

I love Amarok, because it's very dynamic album. I also listen TSODE and Millenium Bell very often.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 17:45

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 11 2007, 18:32)
Quote (New Incantation @ Oct. 11 2007, 09:40)
For me it ranks a close second to "Incantations" as being Mike's best IMHO.

That's interesting. Incantations is my favorite album and TSODE is my least favorite one. But still there are similiarities. The excessive and huge arrangements, the crystaline production and a "travel-like" feel to the music.

Still I can't stand TSODE, and I've explained why elsewhere. The two albums have many similarities, but still they're worlds apart. That's how I feel.

"Incantations" is a masterpiece and play it at least one or twice a month after a particularly stressful few days at work.

You're right in suggesting both albums are "travel-feel" in mood and temperament, along with a few New Age traits and African Chants that gave both albums a certain "earthy" feel.

To be honest I haven't really listened to his albums post "Crisis" as I found that album and its predecessor, "Five Miles Out" rather disappointing, and I didn't particularly like the direction he was taking his music at the time (1992).  I've always preferred his earlier "operatic" movements such as TB, Incantations, HR and Ommadawn.

Its only been these last couple of months have I re-entered the world of MO once again, and boy after listening to this album I'm in a for feast of music as I catch up on about 20 years worth of albums

:)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2008, 05:38

I'm just having one of those 'TSODE is the best album, EVER!!!' moments.

Actually, for several weeks now, I've been blurting out "Stars" at random. I find it's therapeutic.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2008, 05:48

Sweetpea, I like the way you resurrect old threads; it gives me a chance to miss comments I otherwise wouldn't have seen.

I agree TSODE is one of Mike's best albums. It's clever the way he makes it sound both spacey and oceanic at the same time; this often characterizes Arthur Clarke's fiction itself (which I was a big fan of as a teenager). And for once all that feeling of loss in Mike's music has a focus; for the Earth is actually stated to be distant, ie, lost, and his music points to that so effectively, in my opinion.

Whenever I read the liner notes, I wonder whether Clarke was being deliberately ambiguous: he doesn't actually say he likes the music, he merely says that it "lives up to his expectations".
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2008, 06:36

Quote (nightspore @ Oct. 31 2008, 05:48)
Whenever I read the liner notes, I wonder whether Clarke was being deliberately ambiguous: he doesn't actually say he likes the music, he merely says that it "lives up to his expectations".

I'd wondered about Clarke's reaction, as well, nightspore. Not being familiar with his writings, I figured that may just be his style? Or perhaps he was less than impressed and was simply being politic? Or maybe The Fungal Effect hadn't yet occurred with the subsequent 'This is the BEST ALBUM EVER!!!' result?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2008, 07:58

Quote (Sweetpea @ Nov. 01 2008, 06:36)
I'd wondered about Clarke's reaction, as well, nightspore. Not being familiar with his writings, I figured that may just be his style? Or perhaps he was less than impressed and was simply being politic? Or maybe The Fungal Effect hadn't yet occurred with the subsequent 'This is the BEST ALBUM EVER!!!' result?

Clarke was a fairly direct writer, Sweetpea - at least in his fiction, which tends to be slightly rhapsodic, even archaic in its use of words, strong on ideas and descriptions but not so strong on characterization. He's great to read as a teenager; but I reread "The City and the Stars" not long ago and I was a bit disappointed.   I know he was an enthusiast of classical music, and as such may not have wholly embraced what Mike did. After all, if he liked the music, why not simply say so? Yes, I think he was being politic.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2009, 02:03

Quote (nightspore @ Nov. 01 2008, 07:58)
Clarke was a fairly direct writer, Sweetpea - at least in his fiction, which tends to be slightly rhapsodic, even archaic in its use of words, strong on ideas and descriptions but not so strong on characterization. He's great to read as a teenager; but I reread "The City and the Stars" not long ago and I was a bit disappointed.   I know he was an enthusiast of classical music, and as such may not have wholly embraced what Mike did. After all, if he liked the music, why not simply say so? Yes, I think he was being politic.

Well, I've reread Clarke's message and, considering that the comment "he has lived up to my expectations" was preceded by "I was particularly impressed by the music he wrote for 'The Killing Fields'", I'm going to take it as fairly direct approbation.

--------------
Profile PM 
46 replies since Mar. 19 2003, 10:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net