Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Beginnings and Endings< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tubularbills Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 13 2001, 13:38

I noticed this from the very first time i ever heard Tubular Bells: MO does an awesome job at beginnings and endings.

Of all the albums i've listened to, the opening 2-8 minutes are usually one of the best parts of the whole album. same with the ending 2-8 minutes. Take TB for example: the first 6 minutes or so is <that> wonderful theme. and the last 5 or 6 minutes of part 1 is awesome as well (the listing of the instruments). The opening of part 2 is very captivating, and the end is great.

This applies to TB2: Sentinel and The Bell (part 1) and Weightless Maya Gold (part 2) are the best tracks on the whole CD.

TB3: i like the last 17 minutes of this album the best (the last 4 tracks) from the first piano key of Top of the Morning to the final birds chipring in FATC.

I've also noticed that in the ending of a lot of his albums will be a hint of the beginning parts. Kind of like a reprise, but not really. Or that the ending will start up where the beginning left off.

In Guitars, there are two good examples of this: Where "Out of Sight" ends, "Out of Mind" picks up (like the phrase, out of sight: out of mind). and where "Embers" ends, "From the Ashes" picks up.

TB3: the ending returns to the beginning by playing "Secrets".

TSODE: Bits and pieces of the main tune of LTBL can be heard in Crystal Clear and Ascension. Ascension also brings back parts of other tracks throughout the CD, such as Tubular World, The Shining Ones, Only Time Will Tell, and Magellen.

TMB: The millennium bell at the end returns to the beginning with pacha mama (and then of course hits all the other songs in the sequence).

These are the biggest albums that i've noticed the beginnings and the endings (and how they sometimes intertwine). Now, i'm not saying the middle parts are bad, i just prefer the start and finish.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2001, 07:12

Hello everyone.

Of course, as we all know...

I don't think I need to expand on that wink.

Ommadawn is a good example of endings and beginnings. The ending of Part One, with the various instrumentation under the fantastic 'screaming' guitar solo, features some melodies that originally appeared at the start of the piece. For example, the main theme that opens Part One is played again on electric guitar just before the finale at 11'08, and again, only slightly altered, on (glockenspiel? xylophone? something like that anyway) at 16'54. This is one of the reasons that I think Ommadawn Part One is brilliant- in addition to the bits at the start, the whole finale, and the bits in the middle. wink

Ommadawn Part Two is also like this- although perhaps not so obviously. The many guitars in the intro have some quite moving (to me anyway- and more moving than I remembered) passages. This is echoed in the quite fantastic, extremely moving section just before the (bodhran?- I seem to remember this part being called "Bodhran" on the Amarok Player Tracklist) comes in to lead Ommadawn Part Two to a close. Just head straight to about 11'00 in Ommadawn Part Two, and listen on from there. Brilliant stuff- and don't forget the fantastic guitar solo that brings the piece to a close. You can't compare the two finales on Ommadawn (not including On Horseback at the moment), as they are so different, and yet so mindblowing brilliant. I suppose that's why Ommadawn is my number one Mike Oldfield album.

Another Mike-related example would be TB3. tubularbills mentioned the second part, from the Top of the Morning to Far Above the Clouds, but a more obvious point is with the first part, from the Source of Secrets until the Inner Child. At the beginning of the Source of Secrets, you can hear the 'wind' sound that leads into the 'Ibiza'-version of the TB opening theme. Following on, after Rosa Cedron and Mike's guitar work have ended on the Inner Child, a reprise of the wind is heard, sort of, as tubularbills mentioned in another point, ending the section where it began.

This ending=beginning is not just limited to Mike Oldfield. I think one of the most obvious examples would be (the essentially always fantastic) Pink Floyd and the album Dark Side of the Moon. The first track on the album, Speak to Me/Breathe in the Air, starts off with a heartbeat, before a short collection of sounds from several other tracks on the album (including some of the effects from the intro to Money)- not unlike, but then again not overly like the final track on the Millennium Bell. The final track on Dark Side of the Moon, Eclipse, features, after the band has finished playing, the heartbeat once more (along with a quiet voice saying "There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."). However, the heartbeat isn't the only example of 'going round in circles', as it were, ending at the beginning. On the album sleeve, there is the instantly recognisable artwork with the prism and the ray of light being split into the spectrum. If you look carefully (as in, check the reverse of the sleeve), you should see that the spectrum and the ray of light continue to an inverted prism. This basically means that the prism on the front is connected to the prism on the back by a ray of light and the spectrum, and vice versa (apologies for probable use of incorrect terms, but you should realise what I'm getting at here). Other Pink Floyd examples (very quickly, without going in depth) would be both "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" tracks on Wish You Were Here and the use of two "Pigs on the Wing" tracks, sandwiching the rest of the album, on Animals.

Other pieces of Mike's work have great endings too. While I'm not overly keen on the intro to Amarok (until the solo a few minutes in starts), the finale is great- as is the finale-like passage before the Africa sections begin. Especially with the "Happy?" slipped in there.

The Millennium Bell? Um...the title track has grown on me...the way that the selections from some of the previous tracks ("Doges' Palace", "Sunlight...", "Amber Light" etc) are included in the piece. Although the section that really gets me excited is the wild guitar playing when the music starts going again after the "bell".

However, I think that Mike's best beginnings and endings, especially when looked at in a "return to the start" way, are in the side-long pieces, or in the albums made up of one/two/three/four tracks- i.e. TB, HR, Ommadawn, Incantations, Amarok. TB2 and TB3 work as well because of the way that they are structured, and when looked at in the same way that people look at TB, with both albums only having 2 tracks rather than 14 and 11 tracks respectively. Other albums don't work quite as well as these ones- and I can't check Incantations as I don't have my own copy.

I think that's enough, don't you? wink

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2001, 22:59

Just a short addition to my previous post:

On the subject of the albums such as Voyager, Guitars, Crises and so on, the beginnings and endings are less spectacular. This is mainly because, in my opinion, the albums flow less freely than, say, Tubular Bells or Ommadawn. There are various musical themes in the album, as with all of Mike's discography, but what separates the split-albums from the longer-piece albums is that, by having a different theme for each track, the music isn't intertwined. What makes albums like Tubular Bells, Ommadawn and Amarok, among others, special is the various themes that reappear throughout each piece. This means the music is often building upon itself, and can lead to some of the best endings ever seen- I refer once more to Ommadawn (both parts).

For albums such as Voyager, then, each track is a separate piece to the others, with (hardly any) shared themes. This means that each track has to have a different beginning and ending, and, as each track is relatively short and has a new theme rather than a reprised one, the time is spent less on a mindblowing finale or opening, and more on what would probably be the middle section of a longer piece.

The major exception to the albums of shorter tracks (other than the TB albums) is the Songs of Distant Earth. This is because, as tubularbills mentioned, the themes are shared, the music builds on itself, and because the music flows into an album that could in a sense be referred to as having just two, or even one, parts.

But I'll stop here, otherwise this post could end up being just as long as my previous one.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2002, 11:51

Would like to speak about some works that weren't treated before... like Incantations on the Wind Chimes.

For me they are different. The Wind Chimes opens and ends not only with the same part 1 beautiful string-like synths, but also the Anita's chants and other motifs. This makes it feel like a real complete work. The same happens in Incantations, with the only difference that being four parts each one has an own identity but at the same time the majestic closing of part four uses a chant that closes the part 2 in a very different way (I always pereferred the one in side 2).

oNE EXAMPLE OF AN AMAZING CLOSING, AND i THINK IT´S A MISS THAT WE HAVE BECAUSE WE ALWAYS SPEAK ABOUT THE 3 tb'S, aMAROK, oMMADAWN BUT WE FORGET OTHER (EV3EN GREATER)
I think we all share the mistake that we always speak about almost the same works, like TB I, II and III, Amarok, Ommadawn, disregarding others that can be equally good or even superior. One example of an amazing starting and closing is for me the one in Incantations part One. The complex work about a simple sucession of notes done in the first minutes is for me few times overtaken in Mike's works in complexity and mastery, but one of those times is precisely at the end of the side, when this melodies begin the same but soon they get completely lost from the beginning, taking us through an unexpected and intense journey across our self that seems to never end. For me, the intertwining and even more the essential quality of these melodies are a great an short (?) example of a complete and united instrumental of around 18 minutes.

Now it´s only time to see if someone agrees or disagrees... smile

Delfín>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2002, 11:56

Oh, what a shame, redface forgive me. I've forgottent to delete the wrong part in capital letters. Oh, forgive me please. It´s such a shame for me and I tell you that I'm red in this very moment. Oh, what can I do. frown

Sorry.

Only can happen to mea.

Delfín>

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 09 2002, 20:32

What can you do? Well, you could click the edit post button and all will be made better...
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2002, 14:46

Thankyou, Korgscrew. Late, but good for the next time. By the way, I was in London two months ago!!! I loved it, huge and elegant, but everybody fighting in the streets confused!!!!

Delfín>>

--------------
Profile PM 
6 replies since Oct. 13 2001, 13:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net