Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Before Tubular Bells?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Belthazar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 05 2001, 20:37

Just for the fun of it, I went up to my school library and looked up Oldfield, Mike in a music encyclopedia. He actually had a sizeable mention, covering almost an entire page....

But one thing I noticed was the Tubular Bells was not his first album. His first was made in conjuction with his sister, Sally Oldfield, and was called Sallyangie (Published by Transatlantic, 1968).... why is it not mentioned on this page anywhere?

Hang on, I'll write some of it out...

Oldfield, Mike

b. 15 May 1953, Reading, Berkshire, England. Multi-instrumentalist Oldfield will forever be remembered for a piece of symphonic-length music he wrote before his 20th birthday. Tubular Bells sold 12 million copies worldwide and topped the charts in the USA and UK, and stayed there for more than five years.

And so on.... anyone want me to continue? It's pretty informative...

The encyclopedia also gives ratings for all the albums that Mike has produced. Tubular Bells gets 4 stars, Hergest Ridge, The Orchestral Tubular Bells, Ommadawn and Tubular Bells II all get 3 stars (as does Boxed and The Complete Mike Oldfield). The part I don't understand is that EVERY SINGLE other album only gets 2 stars. 2 stars means "Dissapointing: Flawed or lacking in some way". Why is this? They can't ALL be flawed...

P.S. The Discography only goes up to Voyager (1996)

--------------
Belthazar
That's Bravo Echo Lima Tango Hotel Alpha Zulu Alpha Romeo

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana
-- Groucho Marx

Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2001, 02:45

That encyclopaedia sounds like one I've got at home (it's a flippin' Virgin one as well). I think it's exactly the same ratings (I put them up in a topic I started in About these Forums, so I'll check in a minute)

Wasn't the band (Mike and Sally) called Sallyangie? And the album Children of the Sun? Someone check for me please.

While we're on the topic of pre-TB, anyone got any new info for me on Barefoot/Barefeet?

Of course, Mike also cut a few albums with Kevin Ayers and the Whole World before TB.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2001, 06:47

I've got a few mp3s of Children of the Sun. While I'm not really into the folk-song style of the album, the music is still pretty good. Sally has a great vocal range and Mike's guitar playing is amazing for a 15-year-old. Can't say too much about his singing though.

Tracks I've heard:
Strangers
Lady Mary
A Lover For All Seasons
Midsummer Night's Happening

It's great to play with the stereo balance on these, since most of the time they sing in one channel each. Mike also recorded two guitar parts (one in each channel) on some (maybe all) of the tracks.

There are two mp3s of guitar solos from the album in the mp3 section of this website.
Profile PM 
Belthazar Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2001, 16:39

Tim:
What encyclopedia have you got? I can't remember the name of the one I used, but maybe if you say yours it'll ring a bell...

....and according to this one, the album is named "Sallyangie". Hang on, I'll wite out a bit more. This follows on from the previous quote:

He began his career providing acoustic guitar accompaniment to folk songs sung by his older sister, Sally Oldfield, who would often appear in Reading's pubs and clubs with Marianne Faithfull. Mike and Sally recorded Sallyangie together before he left to join Kevin Ayers and The Whole World, with whom he played bass guitar for a short period. He continued working on his own material and produced a demo of instumental music which later became Tubular Bells.

--------------
Belthazar

-- Groucho Marx

Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2001, 20:52

No, definitely the band was Sallyangie and the album Children Of The Sun.
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2001, 02:56

Your encyclopedia sounds like a slightly more informative edition of mine, as the sentences are basically the same, though mine lacks a bit. It's the Virgin Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock (Jimi Hendrix on the cover). Just one of my many rock reference books.

And unfortunately, mine also says that the Mike and Sally album was Sallyangie.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Belthazar Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2001, 18:54

No, it's a defferent encyclopedia.... my version wasn't illustraied...

But why do they all say the album's name is Sallyangie?

--------------
Belthazar

-- Groucho Marx

Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2002, 04:35

the sallyangie isnt meantioned here because this page is about mike oldifleds solo work. he was also in kevin ayiers the whole world. i think thats what it was called.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2002, 05:15

Something that really irks me is seeing Tubular Bells gut five stars and EVERYTHING else get three stars. It seems like everyone thinks Tubular Bells was his only decent album. I mean, I know everyone thinks that anyway, but these people are supposed to have listened to them all.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2002, 05:37

It's worse than that, raven, in encyclopaediae such as those referred to above (which take their info from one source, Muze, as do places like the BBC's music database), when TB=four stars, Ommadawn, HR, TB2 and TB3 are 3 stars, and everything else is TWO stars. But I don't hold such sources in high regard: in my copy of the (out of date by 5 years) encyclopaedia, in the Vangelis section The Friends of Mr Cairo has something like 2 stars. In the same book, in the Jon Anderson section, in The Friends of Mr Cairo has 4 stars. Bizarre.
Profile PM WEB 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2002, 11:46

Back To The Sallyangie... :p

A couple of years ago I bought a cd :
The Sallyangie: Children of the Sun
(Transatlantic Records TACD 9.00586 O)
with a little girl and a little boy on the cover (Sally & Mike?)

I don't listen to it very much (only 3 times, I think) :/

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2002, 06:13

I guess I'm going to buy it next week - new release as double CD with new unreleased tracks, scheduled for Aug 12th. See announcement at Amazon.com
Profile PM WEB 
11 replies since Mar. 05 2001, 20:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net