Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Been saving this story., The ultimate tubular moment.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 03 2008, 05:38

I was saving this story. I was thinking about it the night I told the tale of the dying old man and the Voyager tape.... I lost both parents to cancer, dad in 1989 and mom in 1990. They both seemed to like most of the MO music I had played in the house(s) since 1973. Well, mom lived a year beyond dad and a lot of what we did in that last year together was music. The first few months anyway. At least a 3rd of it was MO. I remember one Sunday I played HR and after it ended she said, "That was a nice church service Jim". There were others, mostly english art-rock since that's mostly what I like. She remarked a lot that Richard Wright, Justin Hayward and Eric Clapton were attractive which I thought was amusing. Anyway, the last couple of months were something no one should ever see and ultimately led me into a 12 year career of basically comforting the dying with pharmaceuticals(mainly morphine). Her doctor had set up a  situation with a registered nurse coming over regularly to our house, a hospital bed.....drugs, equipment, etc. 48 hours before she died, she spent the night in the hospital, then was brought back home by ambulance. That one night I spent alone, there was no music, just me sitting in her "home hospital room"........just kind of staring off into space reliving how I got "from there to here" and greiving. The last night together, after she was returned home, she had not been able to talk for weeks, eyes lifeless but open. I don't know just how much intellect or recognition was really there as the cancer had metasticized to her brain and the last MRI I had seen of it was........bad.
    I had set up a chair for me and a jam-box by her bedside. The entire night was spent listening to music and me giving her IV morphine through a heparin lock. At least 50% of it was Mike Oldfield. I held her hand and that was it for 8 to 10 hours, except for this one moment where she actually made eye contact with me. She was trying to convey "Thank you for being here and playing this music for me". I could tell. My nonverbal reply was "I would not have it any other way, Mom". Well, she died around 10AM that morning.
    I never really associate all the music I listen to, with that night, all these years later. Otherwise, I would not have anything left to listen to. I told that story to my brother the last time I saw him, in 1997. No one else did I ever tell. But MO was a big part of that night and her life as well. That was my largest tubular moment of the last 20 years. Some might say, ever. Just one of the things I like Mike for. His music does not provide entertainment only. But comfort as well. Take care, Tubularians.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: June 03 2008, 12:34

Good God, Jim.

When you said, "something no one should ever see" I instantly connected.  Like you, it was with my mother in 1985, and my father in 1998.  But by far the worst-absolute worst, was my wife in my arms in 2000 (cancer too).

I would have no words to neatly or superficially compartmentalize what you felt/feel.  Only this expression of fellowship: the simplest definition of a good man is one who loves his momma, and you did.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 03 2008, 15:08

And you would be correct. My condolences for your losses as well, my freind. I wanted to put that on here in late 2007, but everyone was geared up for MOTS to be released. Just too sad a story to share until MOTS played out as it did, and very well to my happiness. So I told the tale of the old man and Voyager, which was true, every word of it. MO should realize, and all his fans, just what repercussions his works have had. Truly the greatest composer of the 20th century. The music has affected the young, the old and the dying. I was there, twice with MO for the dying. It's interesting. Place yourself in any of several person's shoes. MO, David Gilmour, whomever. I'd pretty much freak out knowing my music was being played in these scenarios. Including the Alzhiemer's unit I spoke of where Voyager got "diverted". I think, as a musician myself, if my music made it to the point that it comforted the dying......even at the *moment* of death, I would know that I am immortal. Music, arts, sciences. You make a contribution that changes history, you're immortal. So don't bitch about Mike's fags. I'm gonna have one now. Have a very nice day Tubularians. And remember: it's not the *quantity* of life, it's the *quality* of life.
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: June 03 2008, 23:46

Quote (Scatterplot @ June 03 2008, 15:08)
MO should realize, and all his fans, just what repercussions his works have had. Truly the greatest composer of the 20th century. The music has affected the young, the old and the dying. I was there, twice with MO for the dying.

My heart goes out to you both Scatterplot and Bassman, one has no idea sometimes what people have been through, but you two have been through the mill, and as such have acquired a wisdom and perspective on life that not all of us have gained yet.

Your story Scatterplot highlights with clear clarity the significance of MO  music. We take it to the most personal parts of our lifes where only his music will sooth or heal or take us through a process. That just says it all, and what could get better than that for him, real 'success' that is.

This brought to consciousness the fact that when my daughter was seriously ill at 3 months old, I was playing  Islands over and over, the instrumental side. I haven't played it since though. She recovered after an operation but that was definately the worst thing I've been through.And who did I have with me through all that, yours truly !!

As for fags?....the English say....I-am-avin-a-fag-

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 04:53

Thanks for sharing that, Jim. I can't imagine it was easy to put such an experience down in text. Thank goodness you were there to provide care and comfort to your mother.

I recall your Voyager story, as well. And I think your comment  "Just one of the things I like Mike for. His music does not provide entertainment only. But comfort as well" is so true. Music can be a powerful thing, and it's good to be reminded of that.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
4 replies since June 03 2008, 05:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net