Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Be careful Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jaycob Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 21 2000, 20:57

I believe Mike should get together with people that have had some success with VR projects before such as Cyan (Cyan.com) the makers of Riven and Myst, rather than try and tackle the project alone. I have also seen great things from Presto Studios (presto.com) the makers of the Journey Man Project trilogy. I think Mikes idea of making the project modular is a fantastic idea but the framework that this system is based around will either make or break it. Will it be extensible enough to supports new idea’s in the future? Above all have fun and good luck with the project, I will be watching your progress with great interest. Jay
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2000, 00:11

MO should hook up with some software company! I personally suggest the creaters of RAMA: SIERRA(www.sierra.com). But any company will do. So long as it's quality and works like a game.

The game should have a deep exploration plot with characters we can converse with; items to use; puzzles and mysteries to figure out(I have plenty of ideas for what this plot could be, but I'll let MO figure out something for himself smile). All with appropiate music in the background(some rock and exciting, some haunting, some spacey...all depending on the area and situation you're in).

The plot would unfold and become more clear as to what's happening the further you progress through the game. Mike's music would be playing in the background(perhaps with small extracts from all his previous albums, ontop of mostly newly written material for the game).

One major note here: Please make it for the PC, too wink I was hurt when I realized that I couldn't run the interactive part on The Songs Of Distant Earth on my PC! 99.9% of the people in my country have PC's; if a game is to sell well, make it available on all platforms.

[This message has been edited by Fox (edited 02-23-2000).]
Profile PM 
Pedro Gabriel Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2000, 12:53

Why V reality will not be sucessfull:
1-Mike´s music is great but there no chance to compete visually with big companies with the knowlegde to do (if they wanted) at least 100 times better (namely Squaresoft,namco).
2-No one will by a Pc program with just music and image. They´ll buy videogames.
3-Pc is no longer the choosen plataform for entertainment (PlayStation consoles are).
4-Peter Gabriel experiences in these area were good but didn´t sell.
5-Who would like to play "Myst" or "Riven" without a plot.
6-Mainly internet users are on-line from their offices while working,they won´t be able to listen to loud music while there.
7-Mike Olfield name stands for music not images.
8-Music is about emotions not hi-tech gerated envoirements
Please forget the CD, focus on the DVD.There´s no point in interaction with 14"" screen.
Profile PM 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2001, 15:32

I personally think of the sonic VR project not as a hi-tech thing graphical showoff, but as a reflection of the genious mind of mike oldfield, just like his music.

I would buy this software with just music and graphics, and I never buy video games. No game could ever give me as much as Mike's music, and if it's combined with graphics, I see that as something that gives the music an extra dimension.

And for being successful, i don't think mike, not his fans, really cares. If mike wanted success, he'd do mainstream pop music. Instead, he's doing what he feels like, and I think most fans appreciate that, at least I do.

I played Riven, and yes, it has a plot, but still I found it incredibly boring. I doubt the VR project will be boring, since nothing that has come out of mike's mind has been boring for me in the past.

You really have to be on-line while running the sonic VR? I don't think so. And, if you have to be at work while using it, there are headphones. (i often prefer headphones when i listen to his music)

I don't think the mike oldfield name stands for music, i think it stands for art and (in most cases) creativity. He's an artists.

The same way music can be cheap "hi-tech" (modern pop/dance music), I think graphics can. And I believe mike can express feelings through visual art the same way he can do it through sound. A combination of those medias will be very interesting, I think.

And I don't think a lot of people have 14" screens anymore....
Profile PM WEB 
3 replies since Feb. 21 2000, 20:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net