Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: bass sound on part 4< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nushky Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 14 2007, 04:55

the bass/guitar? line on part 4 starting approximately at 8:10 and finishing after the solo sounds almost too treble to be a bass and too low to be a guitar.  This and the fact that the tempo is quite fast makes me wonder if it can a bass played at half speed ?
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2007, 10:57

Actually I wonder if it may be an acoustic bass. What do you guys think of it ?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2007, 15:49

I've thought about this too. I think it's a bass guitar, played with a pick and possible muted notes (don't know if that's the correct english term, but you know what I mean). I also think it's double tracked with an electric guitar (or possibly a second bass guitar) an octave above the original bassline.

Anyway it's a great sound. This particular piece of Incantations makes me think of Adam and the Ants for some reason (ca Dog Eat Dog or King of the Wild Frontiers).

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2008, 01:32

Maybe it's a Rickenbacker like Jon Camp(Renaissance) and Chris Squire(Yes) used......
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 15 2008, 03:37

No, definitely no Rickenbacker!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 03:51

Quote (nushky @ Nov. 14 2007, 04:55)
the bass/guitar? line on part 4 starting approximately at 8:10 and finishing after the solo sounds almost too treble to be a bass and too low to be a guitar.  This and the fact that the tempo is quite fast makes me wonder if it can a bass played at half speed ?

I don't know much about treble and tempo; I just want to say.... this part is so awesome!!! Approximately 8:10 through til the end is, IMO, possibly the greatest piece of music Mike has done. And this is coming from a diehard Ommadawn devotee. Thankfully, "Incantations Part 4" has that somewhat tedious first eight minutes, so I can still claim "Ommadawn Part 1" as the greatest track ever. Hehe.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 06:31

I think it owuld be a mix of either Mike's EB3 o the precision bass with the Acousatic bass.I say Think.Could be wrong.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 06:43

God my spelling sucks! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
7 replies since Nov. 14 2007, 04:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net