Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Bass of Tubular Bells for sale?, Ned Callan Cody 4 string bass on Ebay< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
yanouch65 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 29 2008, 15:29

A Spanish fan has found this on Ebay. The seller says that this bass was used by Mike Oldfield during the recording of Tubular Bells.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws....&ih=016

Any information about this?

:)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 29 2008, 16:37

Sounds real to me. Interesting they used the scan I made for the instrument list on this site!

;)
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: May 29 2008, 22:26

What do you think guys (and Ladies) should we try to add it to the MO Scottish  museum?
Make it more interesting for those Tubnet Bass Players when they come to visit Scotland?

Ray   :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 01:04

I don't understand the price. It says 500,00....what are the two last zeroes? Is it 500 thousand pounds(doubtfull!;), or 500.(point)oo pounds? Not a very attractive bass, but I wouldn't mind posessing it just for the history.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 01:18

If that bass was used on Tubular Bells, then surely it would be a highly desirable piece (and a pretty one, IMO)? I couldn't quite figure out where it's currently located, though, as I saw "Canada" and "Scottish borders", and "Paris", as well as a lot of French - which I can't read - and yet the price is listed in British currency?

If "500,00" means "500.00", then that would come to about a thousand US dollars, I think.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 03:14

Quote (Ray @ May 29 2008, 22:26)
What do you think guys (and Ladies) should we try to add it to the MO Scottish  museum?
Make it more interesting for those Tubnet Bass Players when they come to visit Scotland?

Ray   :cool:

Get the glass cabinet on order Ray.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 03:37

Quote (Sweetpea @ May 30 2008, 07:18)
If that bass was used on Tubular Bells, then surely it would be a highly desirable piece (and a pretty one, IMO)? I couldn't quite figure out where it's currently located, though, as I saw "Canada" and "Scottish borders", and "Paris", as well as a lot of French - which I can't read - and yet the price is listed in British currency?

If "500,00" means "500.00", then that would come to about a thousand US dollars, I think.

I´m not really sure if it was used for the recording of Tubular Bells but as far as I remember Mike used it for the premiere concert in the Queen Elizabeth Hall. That´s where the scan came from.

I´ll have to dig out the article from my vaults tonight.

Will let you know.

:)
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 08:01

I asked the seller if he was saying the guitar was actually played by Mike O.

The answer

No, I'm not, nobody knows what happened to that one or the serial number of it, it was to illustrate that this particular make of bass was used (but I don't know the past history of this one either)they aren't a common bass.
Regards
Mike

So - it is a very nice British vintage guitar, but possibly/probably not the one use in the concert.

I'm sure the guy selling didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Ray  
:O

--------------
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 08:26

Ray, cancel the order for the glass cabinet.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 08:30

Ray, even if you don't buy it, I come to Scotland

;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 08:36

As far as i'm aware Mike used a Fender Precision loaned from Phil Newell (according to Phil) for the actual recording of TB but used the Shaftesbury for the QEH gig in June '73,The Shaftesbury was a licenced copy of the Ned Callan bass known as the "Knobly Ned" due to the body shape.There was a six string guitar version available at the time although i've only ever seen a picture of this in The Ultimate Guitar Boox by Bacon and Day.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 16:30

Quote (The Caveman @ May 30 2008, 14:36)
As far as i'm aware Mike used a Fender Precision loaned from Phil Newell (according to Phil) for the actual recording of TB but used the Shaftesbury for the QEH gig in June '73,The Shaftesbury was a licenced copy of the Ned Callan bass known as the "Knobly Ned" due to the body shape.There was a six string guitar version available at the time although i've only ever seen a picture of this in The Ultimate Guitar Boox by Bacon and Day.

Maybe I can help out!  :D

While whiping the dust out of my hair and off my shoulders, here are some scans of that particular guitar as well as an advert.

Hope you enjoy it!

;)

Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: May 30 2008, 21:28

:) Some nice stuff there Man In The Rain.Thanks for that!..Old Davey Bell of Westerhope should really have known better than to buy his albums in the Newgate Shopping Centre.£2:30..  :O Man what a rip-off,they certainly saw that guy coming.Should`ve went to Windows down the road man,loads cheaper..And swishing noises??,scratches and crackles??..Just wait till Hergest Ridge and the oil crises effect.Man was that guy gonna` be sick of his life.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 31 2008, 12:36

That John McClump(whoever), was a jerk(the writer of the topmost newsclipping). For 1973, that was a real technical challenge let alone by a 19yo kid. So it might have been immature in some ways compared to later albums, but I say f^&% him. The bass obviously worked fine, but I still think its ugly. The shape looks like......well, something a dentist scraped off a tooth. I like my Fender bass. Very pretty. Blonde in fact.
Jimbo

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 31 2008, 18:38

Quote (Scatterplot @ May 31 2008, 16:36)
That John McClump(whoever), was a jerk(the writer of the topmost newsclipping). For 1973, that was a real technical challenge let alone by a 19yo kid. So it might have been immature in some ways compared to later albums, but I say f^&% him. The bass obviously worked fine, but I still think its ugly. The shape looks like......well, something a dentist scraped off a tooth. I like my Fender bass. Very pretty. Blonde in fact.
Jimbo

I agree with you Jim about that John McLump feller or hatever his name was. I'm not a violent person but I would love to lump him around the head, but only to knock some sense into him. I wonder could he have done better???    :O  I doubt it.  
I don't hear  anything I'd regard as immature about Tubular Bells, I think parts  have  a childlike innocence about them, and to me there's a big difference between being childish and being childlike.  That's what I enjoy with many of Mike's works , there's this element of frivolity in there , as well as the more serious stuff. I'm sure it was mentioned, I think it was on Blue Peter , when he recorded the theme tune, that Mike was  quite young when he made Tubular Bells, I always thought that he was 25/6, when he made Tubular Bells,(must be the Incantations sleeve that makes Mike look older than his years).  It was on the net I found out he  was 19.  
Maybe when you're a 19 year old you think you know it all, but it's  when you reach your late 20's / early 30's that you realise that you didn't know it all.  
I think TB is a very mature work for a 19 year old, and having read up upon Mike's family background, and also mental health probs, I think this album is even more of an achievement
:cool: .
 I'm not degenerating mental health probs, 1 in 4 people will suffer with depression, anxiety or other mental health probs at some stage in their life.  I'm challenging the sterotypical myths about mental health probs. Take as an example depression, it isn't that simple as being able to "Snap out of it" or "Go and get a job"  etc etc.

About that bass, it's OK , yep not the best looking guitar in the world, I to prefer the sleek lines of a Fender Precision.

About that Bells of Oldfield article, thanks for the scans MITR, but I found myself guessing at words, that would make sense as part of the text is chopped off.  I'm wondering if  the text could be made a little larger as it's a bit hard to read, makes my eyes go all sqiffy   :laugh: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 31 2008, 20:08

It was really only the piltdown man thing I thought was immature, plus a few transitions from part to part could have been more clever, but he got better and better with each album. All in all.....it is great. Homely bass and all(hey, the bass *sounded* fine!;)
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 31 2008, 20:44

Quote (Scatterplot @ June 01 2008, 00:08)
It was really only the piltdown man thing I thought was immature, plus a few transitions from part to part could have been more clever, but he got better and better with each album. All in all.....it is great. Homely bass and all(hey, the bass *sounded* fine!;)
Jim

Maybe, but I'd say Piltdown Man is more drunk , and I guess people can do some daft things when drunk :O , but I say PM is possibly , I don't know if I'd describe it as "immature", more primal scream therapy. I would say Amarok is more moments of Mike having a "tantrum" and throwing his toys out of the pram, whicH we all have those moments whether we're 18 or 80.    
I love Tubular Bells as I think it's all those little imperfections that make it perfect    :cool:  :D , and I guess that's why I've never really warmed to TB 2003, I don't hate it, apart from I felt John Cleese was trying to be too serious, no "Ministry Of Silly Walks" here .  I haven't played TB 2003 for a long time, maybe I could warm to it  more if it was a 2003  original album, and not a remake of a classic.
If it ain't broke don't fix it,  I think maybe Mike has come round to that way of thinking.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 31 2008, 21:24

I agree on TB2003. As we all know it is imperfections that make "beauty" in any kind of art.....or a person. TB2003 takes away those imperfections thereby taking away it's charm. As I said before, I wish MO had expended that effort into a new original album/something fresh. But the piltdown man was.......like someone clearing phlem from their throat. I guess one might argue that it was to add contrast. Ugliness vs. beauty.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: June 01 2008, 20:16

Quote (Scatterplot @ May 31 2008, 17:36)
The bass obviously worked fine, but I still think its ugly.

Ugly - not so sure
Different - Yes

R

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 02 2008, 09:02

Quote (Scatterplot @ June 01 2008, 01:24)
I agree on TB2003. As we all know it is imperfections that make "beauty" in any kind of art.....or a person. TB2003 takes away those imperfections thereby taking away it's charm. As I said before, I wish MO had expended that effort into a new original album/something fresh. But the piltdown man was.......like someone clearing phlem from their throat. I guess one might argue that it was to add contrast. Ugliness vs. beauty.

Yep maybe Piltdown Man was ugly in a beautiful kind of way  :) .  Maybe Piltdown Man was Mike in an angry or frustrated mood, I call it when I get angry or frustrated doing a Piltdown Woman  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
22 replies since May 29 2008, 15:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net