Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Barry Palmer interview< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
oldfield_fan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 05 2023, 15:58

There's a long interview with Barry Palmer on youtube where he mostly talks about his time with Mike.

https://youtu.be/v6WbOQ_PAv4?t=2220

There are two demo songs listed in the description.
1984 – Mike Oldfield: When the Nights on Fire (Demo)
1984 – Mike Oldfield: Man in the Rain (Demo)

I have the first one on mp3, but I've never heard the Man in the Rain demo. Does anyone know where to find it, or did it never surface?

In the interview Barry tells the story of Mike calling him and he thought it was a prank. Then what happened when they met and how Barry turned him down and how many people (including Sally Cooper) tried to convince him to change his mind.

He also shares the story of when Mike asked him what he thought of Anita Hegerland's singing and then how and when Mike and Anita first met.

Then he talks about Crime of Passion and the recording of the Discovery album in Switzerland. Still today Maggie Reilly seems to have some grudge against Barry and won't talk to him but he doesn't know why.

Barry recorded his own version of Man on the rocks (the title track) and we will "hear it soon". In interviews Mike said that the song is about drugs but Barry doesn't think that's true and is convinced the song is about Mike himself.

Barry speculates that Mike is unhappy nowadays. He says Mike has gone very quiet and has cut himself off, apparently not reaching out to anyone these days, not even his children.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2023, 08:50

Thanks for that info. That all sounds really sad about Mike, I really hope it is not as bad as it seems, I think he has always felt alone, even when he is with other people. Maybe he is locking himself away and recording music for no-one but himself.
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2023, 11:56

Some people like to be alone. It doesn't mean they are unhappy.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Online

Posted: Aug. 07 2023, 15:16

Just to be perfectly honest, it seems to me that mental health problems and/or addiction has pretty much ruined the life of my childhood hero. It seems he too lost his dream in a bottle of wine...

If you can't even keep in touch with your kids, you're in trouble.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2023, 04:08

I agree, he may have had times, years even, where had was in control of his issues, but, I think they never truly went away, perhaps they are fully back for some reason, after all, there has not been any real reason why he stopped going forward with Tubular Bells 4
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2023, 14:55

Barry's full of himself isn't he , if he thinks he sung better live than he did on the Discovery album then I suggest he re-watches the videos of the Discovery tour available on youtube . No wonder Maggie didn't want to speak to him, flat ,off key and Mr shouty ,awful.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Online

Posted: Aug. 09 2023, 17:04

Quote (hergest fridge @ Aug. 09 2023, 14:55)
Barry's full of himself isn't he , if he thinks he sung better live than he did on the Discovery album then I suggest he re-watches the videos of the Discovery tour available on youtube . No wonder Maggie didn't want to speak to him, flat ,off key and Mr shouty ,awful.

I think the reason Mike dumped Barry, is that Barry wasn't on the coke train, like certain other people.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2023, 00:00

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Aug. 08 2023, 04:08)
I agree, he may have had times, years even, where had was in control of his issues, but, I think they never truly went away, perhaps they are fully back for some reason, after all, there has not been any real reason why he stopped going forward with Tubular Bells 4

Big changes happened in the world in 2017.  It was the year for example that the "flat earth"  & "fake space" revelations really went mainstream.  As a person who has always been very up to date with cutting edge goings on, Mike would definitely have become aware of these things.  These developments affected a lot of the "boomer" generation more than younger folk, for obvious reasons.  With Mike's music having been heavily involved in the whole "space" industry, with his music used in the phony 1980 "Space Movie" about the Apollo Moon landing hoaxes, and his connection with Richard Branson, and The Songs of Distant Earth and his passing friendship with Arthur C. Clarke and so on - even the general philosophy behind the conception of "Music of the Spheres" - paired with a predisposition to despondency, and an obvious lifelong existential struggle in large part informed by an apparently awkward, somewhat unconsummated attraction toward Christian & Eastern spirituality (for the latter, see for example the lyrics to "Shiva";for the former, I submit "Closer" - an instrumental rendering of the hymn "Nearer My God to Thee"; his original nativity/Christmas carol "Peace on Earth"; "Our Father"; "Thou Art in Heaven'; and his solo guitar recording of "Silent Night"), somewhat at odds with the more expected allegiance to the New Age/paganism, Gaelic druidism, North American shamanism, and tribal "world music" of Ommadawn, Incantations, Celt, Celtic Rain, Voyager, Women of Ireland, Orabidoo, Amarok, Tattoo, or even the cover art of Return to Ommadawn, etc., which would probably have been more popular amongst a lot of his peers, supporters & immediate family such as Terry and Sally, especially in the early days - all in all, it's perfectly reasonable to think that these things could have affected him quite deeply and thrown him "off his stroke" so to speak (along with millions of others).

Perhaps at that juncture, being advanced in years, it seemed more urgent and relevant for him to concentrate on the spiritual/religious, rather than musical/worldly side of things.

As for his relationship with his offspring, in the Gospel of Luke it says that in the "end times" - which we are assuredly living in today - that

"They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

(Luke 12:53)

It is not uncommon at all at the best of times for parent-adult child relationships to break down . That is after all the premise of the song "The Living Years":

Every generation
Blames the one before
And all of their frustrations
Come beating on your door
I know that I'm a prisoner
To all my father held so dear
I know that I'm a hostage
To all his hopes and fears
I just wish I could have told him in the living years

Oh, crumpled bits of paper
Filled with imperfect thought
Stilted conversations
I'm afraid that's all we've got
You say you just don't see it
He says it's perfect sense
You just can't get agreement
In this present tense
We all talk a different language
Talking in defence...

...So we open up a quarrel
Between the present and the past
We only sacrifice the future
It's the bitterness that lasts...

...I wasn't there that morning
When my father passed away
I didn't get to tell him
All the things I had to say...

If Mike and his children don't get on, there is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in that.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Online

Posted: Aug. 10 2023, 15:34

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ Aug. 10 2023, 00:00)
Big changes happened in the world in 2017.  It was the year for example that the "flat earth"  & "fake space" revelations really went mainstream.  As a person who has always been very up to date with cutting edge goings on, Mike would definitely have become aware of these things.  

I consider myself quite aware of the "goings on", and I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I don't think Mike does either.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
8 replies since Aug. 05 2023, 15:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net