Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Banalities from a genius..., Do you feel the same?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Miguel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 23:23

Today its a sad day...
Well, i just bought the album L&S and, now that i´ve listen to it, i have to say that this is the last time i buy a MO record without listening first!! And it breaks my heart cause i´m a BIG BIG fan...

Todays Mike it´s a shadow of himself. What he did in the past its simply brilliant, but now(since he went to Ibiza) his albuns are full of banal electronic beats,bad taste synths, fake voices and instruments, and feels like he is repeating himself over and over again on his "new" tunes and solos. There are still many songs that i love in this last few albuns but i still prefere the old stuff...Its more genuine and bigger music.
By the way, "Romance" its shameless!! Its a beautiful classic guitar melody fucked up by techno beats. Unbelievable...

I believe that real MO fans should be very unhappy and disapointed these days. Well, i am.......... :/
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 02:47

I think you're much too quick to dismiss it. You only bought it today? Give it some time, for heaven's sake!
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 06:52

Well, I feel more or less the same as you, Miguel. I'm disappointed with it (although I still haven't bought it), even when I didn't have good feelings before hearing it. But I don't think Mike fans SHOULD be happy or unhappy: everybody is free to feel like (s)he wants to, and it will not mean they're not real fans.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 10:45

I do, actually. But I can also believe that Mike isn't simply able to create work as complex and difficult as Incantations or Amarok anymore; he's older, has other interests, there's no pain and fear in his life anymore... We can either be thankful for the fact he cares at all about anything but motorbikes, or go on about how simple L+S is, knowing that whatever we say isn't going to make it better.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 16:47

I believe that real MO fans should be very unhappy and disapointed these days. Well, i am..........

Oh, I just love this (you have to think as I do, otherwise youre a shameless person without taste)

Can't you people understand that we all have different taste. I really startet to like Mike Oldfield when Tubular Bells ||| came out. And from that I worked my way through his back catalouge- Sure, Amarok, Tublar Bells 2, TSODE are great albums wich I often listen to. But I still have TB3 as my absolutly favourite album and as for now I absolulutly love Light + Shade, specially the shade-CD because of its uptempo.

Please understand that there are a big differens in generations in oldfields fans and that we all like a special time of his carrier. Just bashing off to everoyone as you do doesn't leed anywhere.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 16:50

Very true, however, I genuinely do like most of his work, from any era! I guess I'm just lucky, well i know I'm lucky, even luckier   :D

YAY!!  :cool:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 20:39

As a fan from the beginning, I must admit that as time goes on, his albums appeal less to me.  I tried to listen to Guitars twice.  It just doesn't appeal to me - and I don't think that is is because it is inferior.  It's just not my cup of tea.  The beauty in very creative people is that they will continue to try new things.  I don't feel guilty if I don't like it.   I really sensed the change when he moved to Ibiza - he has not released anything since that time that I truly love.  

I will tell you the same thing about another artist that I love.  Todd Rundgren - he's much like Mike in that on many albums, Todd is the sole musician.  Very creative and innovative.  As Todd has grown older, more and more of what he is doing does not appeal to me.  I have to ask the question, is it Todd (or Mike) that is inferior, or am I just stuck in the past?

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Miguel Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 00:18

Quote (Trinidad @ Oct. 17 2005, 06:52)
But I don't think Mike fans SHOULD be happy or unhappy: everybody is free to feel like (s)he wants to, and it will not mean they're not real fans.

Yes, you're tremendously right...
I´m really sorry!!  It was not my intention to offend anyone. What i've said was rude, so i apologize to everyone.
I was just angry to see my favorite musician since i was 15 (i'm 27 now) making techno beats to his music again. That it's something that really knocks me out....But that's ok, maybe i'm just an old fashioned guy. :p

Besides the beats and the production of the album, i DO like most of the songs in L&S. The problem is (and that is for sure) that the melodies and guitar frases are very similar or even equal to the ones he used in his most recent albuns. There's nothing really new coming out from this album, i'm affraid. I fell like maybe The Gate is one of the few exeptions...And that's a pitty, cause he can do much better than that, i believe.

A friendly hand-shake to all!!
Profile PM 
Miguel Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 01:13

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Oct. 17 2005, 20:39)
I will tell you the same thing about another artist that I love.  Todd Rundgren - he's much like Mike in that on many albums, Todd is the sole musician.  Very creative and innovative.  As Todd has grown older, more and more of what he is doing does not appeal to me.  I have to ask the question, is it Todd (or Mike) that is inferior, or am I just stuck in the past?

First of all, thanks for the tip about Todd. I will try to find some of his songs, because i never heard of him....

Well, i fell more or less the same as you, but i don't think that MO or Todd are inferior. It's not that. Times as changed the taste of everyone, included our favorite musicians, unfortunately. :/  And that changes could please us or not. It's life....
Profile PM 
The Man who is He.. Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 01:33

Yes, I AGREE. So stop listening to it right now, go and bury it somewhere..........
...............................Reason being, when you've suffered this album too much, you start to enjoy it........That's right, you'll start to like it......
It's insidious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 03:57

Yesterday I re-listened to Ommadawn and QE2...

It's not the techno itself in Mike's music... it's what techno, only banalities here (where for example Chemical Brothers do very fine and good techno).

I think that the last "true Mike" album is Guitar (which contanis very good "Oldfield" tunes).

But, tastes...

Andrea
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 04:18

Yesterday I was playing 'Songs of the distant Earth' and thought this is the last Mike album that truly stunned me. 'Voyager' was (to me) just boring, I never got to buying 'Guitars' because I played first three tracks in a shop and it repulsed me totally, 'Tubular Bells III' had nice BITS, but that was about it, and I never liked anything about 'Tr3s Lunas' (I find Tr3s Lunas II much better) and 'Millennium Bell'. 'Light + Shade' is to me his best album since TB3, but sadly that still doesn't mean I find it good.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 04:29

Quote (knife edge @ Oct. 18 2005, 03:57)
Yesterday I re-listened to Ommadawn and QE2...

It's not the techno itself in Mike's music... it's what techno, only banalities here (where for example Chemical Brothers do very fine and good techno).

I think that the last "true Mike" album is Guitar (which contanis very good "Oldfield" tunes).

But, tastes...

Andrea

Well, not Mike not the Chem Bros make techno. The style we see on Shade is Trance and the Chems mostly make Big Beat.

Sorry, just felt like nitpicking.
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 06:40

Quote (Cinos @ Oct. 18 2005, 10:29)
Well, not Mike not the Chem Bros make techno. The style we see on Shade is Trance and the Chems mostly make Big Beat.

Sorry, just felt like nitpicking.

It amases me every day when I read the topics in this forum, that everybody must put this music into some sort of musical corner.

I really don't mind wheter it is techno, or trance or whatever.

Either I like the tune (and the production), or I don't. That is really all that mathers to me.

Basing your decision to like it on a style is wrong, in my humble opinion.

And yes, I like Light and Shade.

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 08:34

I HAPPEN TO LIKE MIKE'S NEW CD.  BOTH DISCS ARE BRILL!!! :p  :p  :p
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 09:35

Consider the flipside of this.  What if you loved L&S the moment you played it?  In time, wouldn't you become sick of it?

If you don't like it now, but it grows on you (as it has done for a number of us), this has to be better than growing to dislike it.

Many people who like Amarok didn't like it on the first listen.  In fact they didn't like it for quite a while.  So what changed?

Given time, music you don't like can become music you do like... particularly if you're a big fan of previous albums by the artist.  So give it a chance!

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 15:59

Quote (Moz @ Oct. 18 2005, 09:35)
Given time, music you don't like can become music you do like... particularly if you're a big fan of previous albums by the artist.  So give it a chance!

It also depends on the reasons why one doesn't like an album.

I know that some tracks will NEVER EVER grow on me ("the gate", because I find it very embarassing to listen to, and absolutely ridiculous). Though I know when a track can grow on me or not (usually a track I don't care for too much but very rarely a track that I dislike at first).
Profile PM 
orabid00 Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 16:39

Hi!

I'm Magnus from Finland, just registered to this forum and I'm a longtime fan of Mike Oldfield's music. I could say I'm more a fan of the 70ies stuff he made: Tubular Bells ---> Five Miles Out + Amarok and a few. His newest albums is clearly more chill-out and Ibiza-beat, which is different than what he made a couple of decades ago. In my humble opinion, I'm not so much into the "remakes" of the original Tubular Bells (II & III, especially NOT Millennium Bell and the music that has come after that).

Guitars and Tr3s Lunas, however, are somewhat slow and mellow, but contain really good music and after one listen through Light + Shade I could say it resembles both of these albums. The new album is ok, but I rather put on the good old Hergest Ridge anytime!  :p

That was my opinion of Light + Shade!

Best regards all!
Profile PM 
tamas Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 20:33

I agree with Jeremy. I think Amarok is not a good example to examine how and why Oldfield's music can grow on you. (Actually, it is a very interesting topic!;) I also didn't like Amarok at the first listening, but now it is my all-time-favourite. IMHO in the case of L+S the "growing on you" process is much more superficial, than in the case of Amarok. While  you needed time for Amarok to "decipher" the complicated, fragmented structure of music, in the case of L+S this process is more about getting used to new, computerised effects, and to find the simplicistic beauty of the melodies. But this beauty is a little bit superficial one for me.

I must admit that after 3 weeks I still like many tracks from L+S (including the Gate :) However I fear this album will not stand the test of time, like older stuff of MO.

Somebody told before, that maybe we just have to change the way we listen these new albums. I was accustomed to listen a MO album in the past non-stop for 1-2 month after the release. L+S  cannot, and probaby must not be listened so intesively. Maybe that is the way to "preserve" it, and not to feel it banal.  ;)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 22:28

I'd say that Mike's music needs some time to grow on ya...at least on my case, it took me 10 years of my life to enjoy his work.

And some albums I do love,like Amarok, took me lots of spins on my CD player before my final veredict.

Give it a try later on in your life, you'll be not the same person you are today. Take off from ya all the pre-concepts and prejudice regarding L + S and try it on again.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
121 replies since Oct. 16 2005, 23:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net