Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Back To The Heart< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Adcock Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 22 2013, 06:59

Hi all.
This is my first post as I am newly registered.
I've been an Oldfield fan since 1978.

In 1995 I wrote a 21 minute piece entitled 'Back To The Heart'

Recently I re-recorded it with up to date equipment.

Here is the link to the album which is available as a free download: http://mattcpadcock.wix.com/backtotheheart

Best wishes

Matt
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: April 22 2013, 16:53

Welcome Matt.
This afternoon I was able to make some time and listen to the first 9 minutes or so and I must say I'm not disappointed.
My first thought was not another midi piano, but that's in general. I just dislike that sound. But when the track developed I got more interested.
Sure one can hear that you are influenced by a certain Mike O, but you don't have to be ashamed by that.
I'll try to find more time to listen to the whole piece.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Matt Adcock Offline

Posted: April 22 2013, 17:48

Oblique: thanks very much for taking the time to listen to it. That really means a lot.
My apologies for starting my first post as a shameless plug for my music.
I have visited Tubularnet many times over the years but for some reason I never thought to register.
I was introduced to Tubular Bells at the tender age if 7, way back in 1978 by way of the 'Boxed' collection which also contained Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn.
My dad and I have collected Mike's albums ever since.

My composition 'Back To The Heart' was written over 10 months in 1995 as a celebration of my family and I emigrating from my native Manchester to County Cavan in Ireland.

Back in 1995 I was ridiculously influenced by Mike's music.
I now run my own custom backing tracks business and whilst taking a week long break I thought it would be fun to re record the composition.

I know, for me at least, returning to something I haven't heard in many years was both nostalgic and cringeworthy.
In fact I wasn't conciously aware of it at the time but the main bagpipe theme at the beginning is way too similar one if the sings in Heaven's Open.

Regardless of that I am glad I found the time to record it again some 18 years later. I'm also glad in many ways that it sounds like an Oldfield ripoff album. Mike was and still is my biggest influence.

I uploaded it to soundcloud and asked people to share it on Twitter but most people just don't have time or are not musicians so I haven't had much feedback so far. That's why I decided I would return to source (so to speak) and find out what like minded people, Mike Oldfield fans, thought of my composition.

It's a pleasure to be here in good company and I look forward to delving deeper into Tubularnet. Over the next few weeks and months ahead I intend to have a listen to as much of the original music in this section of the forum as possible.

All the best, and thanks again.
Matt
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 23 2013, 23:08

Hi Matt.
Great composition, quite the Celtic celebration and a wonderful listen with great changes throughout.
I really liked the flute section from around 12 mins in.

Great work and welcome to the board, comments left on SC.
Profile PM 
Matt Adcock Offline

Posted: April 24 2013, 08:35

Hi Milamber

Many thanks for taking the time to listen to it.

The whistle is an Irish tin whistle which I borrowed from my daughter. I learned enough to play on this album, after that I'm not proficient at all with wind instruments.

The original version I recorded in 1995 was recorded on a (then new) Yamaha MT3X 4 track tape recorder.

The version you heard was recorded into Logic Pro 8 using an M-Audio Projectmix desk, M-Audio controller keyboard and M-Audio Nova condenser mic.

Most of the bass guitar is software (for convenience) but some small parts are a custom made fretless bass guitar.

The acoustic guitar is a cheap Music Store steel 6 string and all the electric guitar sections I recorded with my 1991 Fender Strat.

The highland bagpipes and the Uillann pipes are recorded using Universal Piper and PipeKeys played on my iPhone (as I don't have a MIDI interface for the iPhone).

I just listened to Jurassica II and posted some comments on SoundCloud but I will post some additional comments in the Jurassica II thread on here.

Thanks once again for your time. I really appreciate it. :)
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since April 22 2013, 06:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net