[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (28) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: back to the cactus< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 22 2011, 17:19

Quote (Matt @ Feb. 22 2011, 22:03)
Alan, did you actually *see* our Avatar at any point?

The little buzzing insect? Yes, I heard it and saw it. There wasn't a problem as far as I was concerned.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2011, 17:32

Quote (a_r_schulz @ Feb. 22 2011, 17:04)
OOPs - soooorry, I'm afraid I'm a little late tonight...
For a quick check by anyone, I just started a host at 91.96.150.145

In order to check if your game is visible from outside your router, a handy page is http://www.canyouseeme.org - which will show your outside IP address, and you can enter port number 45321 to check if it gets through..

I've tried that and this is what I get:

Error: I could not see your service on 83.35. 0... on port (45321)
Reason: Connection refused

I see the address is not the same I found before. Could that be the reason of me failing to play online?

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 22 2011, 17:37

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 22 2011, 22:19)
Quote (Matt @ Feb. 22 2011, 22:03)
Alan, did you actually *see* our Avatar at any point?

The little buzzing insect? Yes, I heard it and saw it. There wasn't a problem as far as I was concerned.

Little buzzing insects? Yep, that sounds like Scotland, but midge season doesn't start for a few months yet ;)

So sounds like my laptop/router etc. was really working ok, just some navigation skills to work on :). Maria, any idea what the problem might be with your setup?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2011, 17:42

Trying to get online today, I had just been to the cactus and I was needing to release all this stress of the configuration :D and then played on my own. I've been in the firebeings world... so beautiful the Daliphant and the music and all the distorted world seen from underneath.. I've taken some pictures, I'll post them (if I can remember where's the place for that... it's been so long...)

I'm glad to be rediscovering :)

Thanks a lot Matt, Ugo 14al, Andreas and Alan for coming and for the advices!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2011, 17:45

Quote (Matt @ Feb. 22 2011, 17:37)
Maria, any idea what the problem might be with your setup?

No clue yet...  the laptop is new and also my wifi connection and I don't know them well yet... but I'll find a way to sort it out.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2011, 18:12

Thanks very much to Andreas as well. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2011, 19:43

To summarize:
- to connect to a game hosted by someone else, who has set everything right (like me and some others tonight), there should be nothing to do on your computer. Just start the game, and on the Avatars page check 'Connect to the network' and enter the IP address posted by the host.
- to host a game, check 'This computer is a server' on the same page, and it will show your IP address.
If this address looks like 192.168.x.y (or maybe 10.x.y.z), you are behind a router and have to configure port forwarding on the router (see below). Otherwise (maybe rare nowadays), you can post the displayed address to tubular.net and wait for other players to connect.

Port Forwarding:
You will have to configure your router to forward TCP port 45321 to port 45321 on your IP address (192.168.x.y, as shown by MVR above).
Most routers have a web server for configuration, which you can access at http://192.168.x.1 or http://192.168.x.254 (same x value as above).
The exact method depends of course on your router firmware - sometimes it's actually called 'port forwarding', sometimes 'virtual server'. At http://portforward.com you will find instructions for lots of routers.
A service like http://www.canyouseeme.org will tell you your public IP address, which you can post to tubular.net for others to connect.

Caveats:
- some web providers may block incoming connections, so canyouseeme.org will not see you, even with port forwaring set up right - OK, you're out..
- Windows firewall may block incoming connection - open settings from the control panel and verify whether MusicVR is blocked. In case of doubt, click 'Port...' and allow TCP port 45321.
- Other personal firewall (Zone Alarm etc.) blocking the port: check firewall settings.

@Maria:
- You should find instructions for your router at: http://portforward.com/english....ink.htm (port is: TCP 45321)

- The IP addresses from your previous message:
IPv4, 192.168... and 'Puerta de enlace predeterminada' (=Gateway) 192.168...
would be your of computer (first) and of your router (=gateway to outside, second).

@Alan: Portforwarding on the BT HomeHub: http://portforward.com/english....ink.htm
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 06:36

Andreas, you're amazing. Thank you.

Presumably as hangovers from previous attempts years ago, I find I have two entries in my router's setup, both different and each differently labelled.

There's one labelled MusicVR (click for screenshot)

and one labelled  MVR (click for screenshot)

I presume one of these is wrong - is its presence in the list messing things up? And if so, which is the wrong one? I think the first one (MusicVR) is the right one (because I think the last two columns for 'Trigger Protocol' and 'Trigger Port' should be blank), and that I should delete the other entry. But am I right?
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 08:36

Quote (a_r_schulz @ Feb. 22 2011, 19:43)
@Maria:
- You should find instructions for your router at: http://portforward.com/english....ink.htm (port is: TCP 45321)

- The IP addresses from your previous message:
IPv4, 192.168... and 'Puerta de enlace predeterminada' (=Gateway) 192.168...
would be your of computer (first) and of your router (=gateway to outside, second).

Andreas, your help is so very welcome!

I think I'm on the right path. At least I've been able to connect the site for my router's configuration by writing my router's IP on the browser.
I've got a page where I see the port forwarding I did last night. This is what I did:
Port Forwarding Configuration  

Port Forwarding Settings
 This page allows to create, modify and delete port forwarding rules. These rules allow applications or software to work on your computers if the Internet connection uses NAT.

Name Protocol External Port Internal IP Internal Port      

ppp-0    
 MAPEO1  TCP  45321  192.168.1.33  45321

Now, since it didn't work, I wonder if the reason is that I wrote my computer's IP instead of the router's one. Should I edit the IP and give 192.168.1.1? Could that be the reason why I couldn't connect last night?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 10:20

Aha! Success!

The last time I played online, I was using a USB connection to the router. But now I'm using an ethernet connection (at 192.168.1.65). I'd entirely forgotten about this change, and so the router settings were still as set up for the old USB connection (at 192.168.1.64), which no longer exists.

So I edited the 'device' section accordingly, and voila. When I use the port-testing link you gave, Andreas, I get this message.

Success: I can see your service on 81.153.233.190 on port (45321)
Your ISP is not blocking port 45321

I'm pretty sure this means I'll be able to host games now. So Maria, we should be able to do as much experimenting as you like to get you running again. Let me know when you want to try again.

Andreas, thanks again for the tips. Enormously helpful.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 10:35

Just tried to edit the IP to 192.168.1.1, which is the router's IP, for what Andreas said, and this is the message I get:

Error/Warning Page.This Product has encountered an error/warning.The same can be seen below. The time displayed are in seconds since the last reboot.    
 When Severity Error/Warning Description  
 173727 error-failure webserver: Reserved Mapping is already in required state

Now, I don't know what's wrong... I get dizzy with computers stuff....

Alan, yesterday I couldn't connect anyone, do you think I can connect to you now that you solved your problem? or maybe I must find out what I am doing wrong...

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 11:08

Quote (maria @ Feb. 23 2011, 15:35)
Alan, yesterday I couldn't connect anyone, do you think I can connect to you now that you solved your problem? or maybe I must find out what I am doing wrong...

I'm pretty sure mine will work now - we just need to test it to be sure. I'll post my IP here about 8pm uk time this evening. If you're free, you can try to connect; and if anyone else is passing (Matt? Ron?) they could maybe try - just to confirm that I'm working properly as a server.

Once we know my half is definitely OK, we can keep trying with the settings on yours, Maria. And maybe Andreas will post a suggestion before then.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong (and please do), but I think the IP you need to enter is the computer's IP, that is: 192.168.1.33. You're telling your router to forward the information it receives to the computer at address 192.168.1.33, through port 45321. If you give it the router's address, it will try to send the information to itself - which I presume is why you got the error warning. (I hope this is right - this is the blind leading the blind, here! )
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 13:11

Ok then, let's try with your computer. I finish my last class at home today at 20.30, so I can be online at 20.45 (spanish time). Is that ok for you?

I think the IP you need to enter is the computer's IP, that is: 192.168.1.33

This is the one I set when I did the port forwarding, but it doesn't work...

(Ay Alan... this what we are doing on this thread sounds so familiar to me... we like struggling, don't we? :))

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
14al Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 14:11

192.168.1.33 is this the adress that shows up if you look in windows network centre, connections, details (IPv4 adress)?
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 14:48

Sí, that is the IPv4 address, the other IP is (in Spanish, sorry, but I don't know what's this in English...) 'puerta de enlace predeterminada' and it's 192.168.1.1

The IPv4 is the one I set to forwarding the port, I've tried to set the other one, but I get a failing report. It's in a quote I posted before. Which one is the right one?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 15:01

The game is now running, IP: 81.153.233.190

(I do believe I see Colin (Thin Man) logged in! )

See if you can connect Maria - I'll keep checking here for messages.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 15:04

Ok, I'll restart the computer and try to join u

crossed fingers...

please please please...

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 15:08

The test at canyouseeme.org says it can see the server, so I assume this is working OK at my end - I'd be happier if someone managed to connect though.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 15:10

Maria is in!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2011, 15:13

OK my game is now closed down for the next experiment.
Profile PM 
553 replies since Feb. 12 2011, 16:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (28) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net