Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Avatar Time, What are you showing there?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 13 2005, 06:40

Quote (raven4x4x @ June 13 2005, 01:09)
No, it isn't clear at all.

It's interesting, this. To those already familiar with the original image, the avatar looks perfectly clear, but when the image is unknown, the avatar is often undecipherable. I had no idea my burning rose wasn't clear until Hiawatha said so.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 13 2005, 07:00

Quote (Alan D @ June 13 2005, 19:40)
It's interesting, this. To those already familiar with the original image, the avatar looks perfectly clear, but when the image is unknown, the avatar is often undecipherable.

That is true. I must admit that I never thought of a burning rose when looking at your avatar Alan until you told us and I saw the complete picture. It seems so obvious now.

In some ways it's like those optical illusions like this one. Once you know what the picture represents it's obvious, but until someone tells you it is hard to make out.

Now Sir M, I'd like to see the full picture of your new avatar. I'm interested to see what the disturbing detail is.  :cool:

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 13 2005, 12:05

Quote (raven4x4x @ June 13 2005, 07:00)
www.michaelbach.de/ot/cog_dalmatian/index.html

that would be nice if I could get the picture to load. The text on the page works fine. Unless the picture shows Saruman's beard in a snowstorm, and is supposed to be all white.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 13 2005, 12:22

Quote (familyjules @ June 13 2005, 04:27)
I can't use the word 'avatar' because to me that means something else entirely

Do you mean the hero from computer game series Ultima? I remember playing Ultima Underworld II and beating it several times, so I know that use of "Avatar" too. :)

that would be nice if I could get the picture to load. The text on the page works fine. Unless the picture shows Saruman's beard in a snowstorm, and is supposed to be all white.

As far as I'm aware, you need Flash to see the image. Maybe that's why you can't see it?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 13 2005, 18:16

You can see a non-Flash version of this image here. It's a rather well-known optical trick. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 13 2005, 20:08

Quote (raven4x4x @ June 13 2005, 12:00)
Now Sir M, I'd like to see the full picture of your new avatar. I'm interested to see what the disturbing detail is.  :cool:

Is it that it looks like Lisa has a beard?
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 16 2005, 18:57

Sir M is using a detail of some artwork from the fanfic Simpsons site..Lisa Simpson all grown up

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 06 2005, 05:04

Now that you have said that Sir Mustaphas avatar is a picture of an all grown up Lisa Simpson, I think I can see a womans form in the bottom right corner and breasts, but what is the white thing?

And I have lots of great pics in my files but can't work out how to get a http file name so I can upload on here as an avatar, any simple english advice?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 06 2005, 08:12

Tricky thing, eh? In fact, all you see in the avatar is her face and hair. :) I think that makes it a bit more clear.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: July 06 2005, 11:55

I'm myself. Just myself. *cries, hiding in a corner*

But then, I tried to recreate a Kelly Osbourne sleeve. Does that count for originality? *thinks of the word 'recreate'* Errr, probably doesn't.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: July 06 2005, 13:43

Like TubularBelle, I would also like to use an avatar of my choice, but I haven't the faintest idea how to do it. I do not have a web address. And anything too technical scares the life out of me!! So any tips would be appreciated.

( I hate being so thick!!!;) :/

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 06 2005, 15:36

There are a couple of websites that offer free hosting for images. I can name two off the top of my head right now: Image Shack and Photo Bucket (which is the one I use). They're very simple to use, too: you upload a picture, copy the address they give you, and then paste it on the Avatar section of this forum.

Of course, there are a few rules to be followed. There's a size limit to the avatar pic (64 pixels wide and 128 pixels tall - a wee bit small, imo, but who am I to complain), so it's useful to crop or resize the picture so they fit. I had to do both on poor Lisa, and Microsoft Photo Editor did it to me (though I recommend something non-MS like The Gimp, :) ).

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: July 06 2005, 18:18

Why thankyou for that ~ most kind of you! I'm too tired right now but will endeavour to "have a go" with this electronic image making pretty soon..... :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 07 2005, 23:55

Yeh me too, when I have my partner here to help me.

OK Musty, is what I thought was a boob, her nose? I can see an ear. And is the white thing a pair of glasses?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 12 2005, 02:40

Well Musty,

It looks like Bee and I both worked out how to add an avatar except I got my partner to do mine so I'm actually none the wiser, Thanks for that.

--------------
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: July 12 2005, 13:39

i just changed my avatar to my tattoo! dunno why, i was bored and found out how to do it! lol  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 12 2005, 19:43

Hmm.., Mr Tell,

Nice tattoo, got any more?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 12 2005, 23:31

WOW, Bugular, that's very impressive.

--------------
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: July 13 2005, 15:02

i do have another on my other arm no pics of that yet, and its not as large, wish the avatar pic done that one justice!

hoping to have another done in the not too distant future, trouble is they are quite expensive, well the ones i want anyway, that tattoo, is unique to me too, i had it designed so no one will ever have that one, cool huh! hehe  :D   :cool:

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: July 13 2005, 16:14

mine's one the greatest serie o all time...

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
130 replies since June 01 2005, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net