Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Avatar - James Horner, Movie score sample< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 16 2009, 14:35

In the odd second of the day that I am not obsessed with Mikes music I fill my time being obsessed with James Camerons soon to be released film Avatar. Sample of James Horners score is now online here if you click on "music" just under where it says "fanbase". Me, I love it  :). Sounds derivative of lots of other stuff but it's lots of other stuff I love!

Not sure what I am to make of the announcement that Leona Lewis is doing the title song mind you, I understand the desire to repeat the "My heart goes on" success the same team had with Titanic but does lightning really strike twice?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 17 2009, 12:24

I think Horner has done some of the best soundtracks. The Star Trek movies come to mind. Very intense, very mesmerizing. I actually have a few of his soundtrax. Hats off to James(He has the right name)!
James

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ommaGeddon Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2009, 16:51

I'm really looking forward to that film. Most of Cameron's stuff is great and it's good to see him return to big screen sci fi. T3 and T4 would have been a hell of a lot better if he'd done 'em but anyway, I heard he's working on T5!

And James Horner, what can I say... So many good film scores. I'm also a fan of James Newton Howard and Ennio Morricone,
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2009, 04:53

You can listen to clips of the soundtrack CD here. Pretty derivative as I said earlier but hopefully will work wonders combined with the film. I particularly like the sound of tracks 4 and 5. Track 5 in particular makes me wonder what would happen if Mike tried his hand a some sort of ethnic/orchestral mix...

The little snippet of the Leona Lewis song (track 14 in the link above) actually sounds not bad to me. Will be interesting to hear it in full.

Only 2 and a half weeks to go now  :D

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2009, 12:42

I watched movie before christmas...now i listened full soundtrack few times...its excellent.
If you own good subwoofer, this is essential "test" music to test it.

sound quality is superior even though i have mp3 version only.

I havent liked much Horners previous soundtracks but this one i admit is well made and sounds alot better than his other products.

Movie isnt bad either but it was probably not as good as i expected and i only seen 2d version so i dunno about 3d version.

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2009, 13:17

Saw the 3D version of the Avatar movie last night, absolutely mind-blowing, better than the hype that it came with.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2009, 10:29

Based on your comments, I bought the soundtrack. I was so blown away by the 3D visuals that I couldn't really remember any of the music other than the occasional planet-heartbeat drumming. Yesterday I ran 8.25 miles with it and found it ok as soundtracks go and I'll give it another listen, but hmmm.....I am finding it pretty typical and cliched. I couldn't help wishing that Mike had scored the thing.

The movie itself was awesome and actually reminds me of Tubular Bells III. That may seem like an odd comparison, but just like TBIII is full of twiddly bits, Avatar contains many bits and pieces from our various cultural interactions, both in film and in the physical world. It was fun to spot them. And yet, both Mike and Cameron weave everything into a very satisfying work.

Here are some themes I've identified so far (warning: possible spoiler):

Scientific/anthropological knowledge used to exploit indigenous cultures: Happens time and time again. Anthropologists studied cultures in the Americas and in Africa (probably other places, too) only to have what they learned used against the native populations. My advisor in college said he'd disown any of us who went to work for the Bureau of American Affairs. The theme of cultural exploitation to get at natural resources is key to Avatar.

Riding raptors:  Totally lifted from John Norman's Tarnsman of Gor, right down to the pairing for life and the initial choosing of a bird.

Military/corporate partnerships:  The unit seems to be lifted from Blackwater. Oh excuse me. Xe.  Ugly, ugly stuff by any name.

The ending: I was pretty sure by the first scene how the movie was going to end, and after what happened to Grace, I flat out knew.  There are similar endings to a couple of stories in Lakota tradition.

Dances with Wolves: Various reviews have noted the similarities with DWW (though not what they are). Both films are epic, they involve a military guy who comes to care very deeply about the culture his "unit" is fighting/hookwinking, acceptance by another culture, and contain language subtitles (Na'vi is subtitled like the Lakota/Dakota of DWW). There is also an easy-going scientist in Avatar who reminds me of Smiles A Lot. The Na'vi have been compared to horse-faring Plains folks, though the vegetation is jungle/bush-ish. Yes, they ride a creature resembling a horse and they paint their faces in times of war. They have leaders and they dance and do other ritual activities. We all do/have many of these things. :) Societies have ridden whatever is available--Native Americans were not the first ppl on the planet to ride horses, nor were Europeans, whose horses found there way onto the Great Plains. BTW--coming to think of it, I can't remember the music from DWW, either. :D

Trees:  There is a huge resemblance between the tree of souls and Grandmother Willow in Disney's Pocahontas. Trees are sacred to many cultures, and among the many things that were goofy in the Disney movie (including that they re-wrote history and passed it off as being based on a real person and real culture--they should have just made up all the names, too) was the concept of Grandmother Willow. Not sure where this fits with that nation, the Powhantan-Renapes, but the nation was not amused by the Disney film (see http://www.powhatan.org/pocc.html).

Of course I am going to drag Second Life into this discussion. :) There is a community of people in SL who are paralyzed in the physical world. They say that flying and running in SL boosts their self concept and provides many happy hours of immersive existence. Similar to Sully.

There is sure to be a Na'vi community that will spring up in Second Life, complete with language, culture, and big, beautiful, blue avatars. Wonder what the music will be like??

BTW....a few weeks ago I presented a talk at the adult religious education class at church on Spirituality and Religion in Second Life.  While researching for it, I came across this: “The Soul Of Second Life: In SL Spirituality Survey, 48% Open To Mind Upload, 62% To New SL-Based Religions” New World Notes. February 27, 2008. http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2008/02/the-soul-of-sec.html  

I guess the concept of Avatar isn't very far afield. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2009, 11:15

Looking forward to seeing this movie I must say.And similarities with Dances With Wolves? Now there was a soundtrack,and John Barry went completely against the grain of what Kevin Costner wanted..

John Barry Dances With Wolves

Ha! First comment up on youtube... "Avatar" There you go I guess.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 31 2009, 10:16

My review from the what are you listening to thread:

All the reviews say the movie (didn't watch it) is immersive. I don't know if this influenced me but I find the music very immersive too, especially a track called "Jake Enters His Avatar World" (what an awful music title, I hate down to Earth titles) with a "pow" sound effect. Sonically, kind or reminding me Ennio Morricone's The Mission: jungle + religious sounds. He is quoting himself from Titanic, which I didn't like, so that's particularly irritating. I think he is still the big soundtrack composer I love the least. Also, "Night Iridescence" steals the famous melody of The Good The Bad and The Ugly from Morricone: A D A D Aaaa. And then the track "Becoming One Of "The People" Becoming One With Neytiri" glues it with the Titanic melody.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 04 2010, 06:18

Quote (Dirk Star @ Dec. 29 2009, 11:15)
Looking forward to seeing this movie I must say.And similarities with Dances With Wolves?

"Similarities"? Avatar is a carbon copy of every film of that kind. And I don't mean just in taking the basic story shape, but in everything -- every event, every detail, everything. Watching that film makes you feel like a professional chess player: you can predict 15 or 20 scenes ahead. There's nothing catchy going on at all, during all the damn 3 hours of film. If you want to dig the visuals, I'd recommend you to wait until good directors start working with that kind of technology. Or just go back to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2010, 07:28

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 04 2010, 11:18)
Looking forward to seeing this movie I must say.And similarities with Dances With Wolves?

"Similarities"? Avatar is a carbon copy of every film of that kind. And I don't mean just in taking the basic story shape, but in everything -- every event, every detail, everything. Watching that film makes you feel like a professional chess player: you can predict 15 or 20 scenes ahead. There's nothing catchy going on at all, during all the damn 3 hours of film. If you want to dig the visuals, I'd recommend you to wait until good directors start working with that kind of technology. Or just go back to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I loved Avatar, and all other Cameron films (except PiranahII ;) ) so I am a bit biased here but I am puzzled about a couple of the things you said above. There are lots of criticisms I have seen of Avatar, many of them to me seem fair even if I don't agree. However you seem to criticize Cameron as a Director which seems strange, most people do seem to accept his skills in that department, whatever they think of the film. You also seem to not rate the visuals very highly which is also odd as "eye candy" is one of the things most people accept Avatar *does* deliver...

Regarding the score, I'm still enjoying listening to it and was pleased to see it nominated for an Oscar, though I'm not sure it is good enough to deserve to win...

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2010, 09:41

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Feb. 04 2010, 06:18)

I haven't seen Avatar, (and Sir M's comments have put me off from doing so) so perhaps I'm being unfair... but whenever something is hugely popular I think of Oscar Wilde's quip: "To be popular one must be a mediocrity"!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2010, 13:29

Regarding comparisons with Dances with Wolves, anyone who has read Camerons abridged script will see that Avatar is a highly original story *not* based upon Dances with Wolves!

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2010, 22:37

There was a comment in yesterday`s Mirror that said Avatar is nothing more than Cowboys & Indians in space,with the Indian`s painted blue.Yeah I still hav`nt seen it yet,my daughter absolutely loves it though.I have watched quite a number of trailers now mind,and I`m already wondering what kind of glasses you have to wear to make the characters seem two-dimensional?.. (weh-hey) I still to this day hav`nt seen Titanic for that matter.Although I`m hazarding a guess that at some point it sinks,given that it`s quite obviously the prequel to Raise The Titanic which came out quite a number of years prior to it.Poor old Cameron,he always gets the second movie..

Without pre-empting too much I think I would probably have some of the same feelings as Sir M here,but in the right frame of mind I`m sure I would enjoy it as well.I hated Aliens first time I saw it,which was basicaly Vietnam in space I guess.But then watched it a few years later on t.v, and wondered why I`d been so down on it first time round.True Lies was a good one,not least for Jamie Lee Curtis cavorting around the boudior walking a tightrope between embarrasment and arousal.A bit like Kate Bush in the Babaooshka video maybe!?..And the first three Terminator movies are entertaining for what they are as well imo.Fair enough I can`t think of anything that has been anywhere close to Oscar material perhaps.But on the other hand there`s been some right old righteous and right on bollocks that has won it in the past anyway,so who can say?
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2010, 07:54

Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2010, 19:16

@ Dirk: wonderful. :D Have you any idea about who made that? However, I think the joke is not credible enough: was Jim Cameron thinking about Avatar already in 1979? He hadn't done Terminator yet. and as far as I remember he hadn't even started his career has a director. Whoever made that funny image should maybe date it a little later in the Eighties. :)

By the way, there really is a videogame adaption of the movie called James Cameron's Avatar.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2010, 19:50

I don`t know who did it Ugo,I must confess.I saw it on Mike Daisey`s blog here who has many interesting and often humorous things to say.But above all else and for a simpleton such as myself.He always has such fantastic images on there that I usualy "catch up" with his blog at least once every couple of months or so.Anyway 1979?? Was`nt that around the time Tron came out? I don`t know as soon as I saw it I was completely creased up.I think for people of a certain age such as myself,it works on so many different levels I would`nt know where to start trying to explain why, for me. It works perfectly as it is.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2010, 20:14

Oh blimey I`ve just checked and Tron was 1982,I`m way out.I think they started making it in 1879 though actualy,along with The Black Hole which was equaly as rubbishy when it came out.Battle Beyond The Stars with John Boy Walton and Robert Vaughn reprising (in a way) his Magnificient Seven role in space.Yeah that one`s maybe a bit closer,..In more ways than one.I don`t know? You had Star Wars in 76/77 and then within the space of a couple of years or so (say 1979) they were all making third rate generic versions of it like the way that they do with everything else.George Lucas of course did`nt start making third rate generic versions of it,till quite a good few years later... "i thank you"  :p
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2010, 06:21

Quote (Dirk Star @ Feb. 15 2010, 01:14)
Oh blimey I`ve just checked and Tron was 1982,I`m way out.I think they started making it in 1879

I had heard Tron took a while to make but really, 103 years? Blimey indeed :p

Thinking Avatar and 3D, Tron Legacy is sounding promising end of this year....

Being an "Avatard" I of course have a copy of the Avatar Video Game. Pretty to look at but that's about all it's got going for it to be honest (same as some peoples opinion of the movie I suppose but the video game didn't sell so well ;) )

Hmmm, my interests don't really have good names for them do they. An Avatard and a Tube....

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2010, 09:24

Well I`m sure I remember reading that Disney spent something ridiculous like ten years on The Black Hole.And of course when it came out it looked terrible,you know and you could tell they must`ve re-written it about three hundred times or something to tie-in with the whole Star Wars thing. But that was the thing all those films back then, (Star Wars trilogy aside) looked incredibly bad even when they came out.And as for the actual screenplays/dialogue etc for those movies,they were nothing short of a joke really.Obviously now most of your sci-fi/fantasy films look absolutely superb it has to be said.And Avatar from the trailers I`ve seen looks nothing short of breathtaking I`d agree.But I`ve also seen enough dialogue from the movie to make me think well we hav`nt really progressed at all have we.I think they`ve become better at "dressing things up" a little (and I`m not just talking about the effects there) You know it`s all a little more focused now I guess,as they go about hammering in their great big gigantic symbolic metaphors with all the subtlety of a piledriver.And personaly from my own perspective I`ve grown so incredibly tired of movies that are quite obviously "spun" to be about something else entirely be it man`s destruction and wanton neglect, here we go again.To dear old loveable Tom Cruise learning how to become a better father while meanwhile in the backdrop most of mankind is being scorched off the surface of the planet.You know if they actualy just tried to tell a unique and original story for once,with believable characters.What they would actualy find is that most of the "symbols" and "metaphors" would appear quite naturaly anyway.You would`nt have to "shoe-horn" them in there at every given opportunity,just in case people felt bad about enjoying themselves or something.You know it`s almost become like "and how much guilt would you like with your movie Sir" ? "Oh just the usual amount please,I can barely feel it these days anyway"

Anyway semi-rant over,I`m sure I will still find plenty to enjoy about Avatar when I finaly get to see it.I can`t say I`m completely convinced with the 3D thing yet mind as good as people say it is.You know we`ve been here so many times before now with people saying it`s going to make a comeback bigger and better than ever before.And yet we`re all still sat here 50-60 years later looking like Joe 90 with popcorn.Apparently, according to Sony,We will all be buying 3D tv`s within the next 5-6 years or so.Out with the old,in with the new you might say.A bit like Wall-e in fact.Or Avatar.

btw I can`t believe Tron came out the same year as Blade Runner.103 years is`nt maybe that much of a stretch you know.     :p
Profile PM 
21 replies since Nov. 16 2009, 14:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net