Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Attempting to get more feedback on music, Several ideas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 27 2005, 17:27

Copied from the reply I made in one of Booster's threads...

I've noticed that people are getting very poor at commenting on tracks in this forum.  Sometimes it's because they don't know what to say, or perhaps they don't like the track and don't want to give negative feedback?

Either way, I'd prefer to have negative but constructive feedback, rather than NO feedback at all.

Perhaps we should do some sort of "give and take" approach?  So, if I download and comment on one person's tracks, they'll comment on mine?

I'm not sure if everyone will be happy to do that, but I think it's only fair.

Some thoughts:

I wouldn't want people to reply to one of my tracks just to get their own pieces listened to.  So, a reply of "this is great! now listen to my tracks!" is not really acceptable.

I think this will only work if it is applied to individual tracks.  So, if someone posts details of their latest album, or they put several tracks in one thread, that doesn't mean they will be hunting down six threads for each musician who comments on the whole thread.

To that end, I think it would be easier to comment on threads if a "one track per topic" limit is enforced.

Finally, if someone posts some useful feedback, it would help if they could include a link to the thread containing the track they'd like feedback on.  This could encourage a bit of spamming, but I think it's easier than trying to locate a track without any help (if the person has even posted one before).

I'm not saying I have been good at giving feedback to people - nor am I saying I've never had a comment on my music from anyone here.  It just feels like there are a lot of threads that get hundreds of views, but no replies.  This makes it difficult to know what people like, and where improvements could be made.

What does everyone think?

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 27 2005, 17:53

I think that the replying to other members' music should be a spontanious thing... and that you don't have to post a comment about it, but only if you like...

Sometimes you can listen to it and think: 'nah'... and just forget about it... Theoratically (jeez... that's hard to spell)
But I can imagine that people don't like to give negative feedback... I find that hard.
But usually when I like something, I say it (not to say that I dislike everything that I didn't comment about, that's another thing)

:)

It should be a spontanious thing...
but on the other hand, if you see that someone asks for an opinion about a track, and you see that that topic has been watched quite often, but no one commented, then it would be a polite thing to post a comment...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2005, 18:38

This is very interesting to me because I listened to every single track that was available at one stage and then stopped completely because I simply found it too hard to come up with a new comment every time, even for the ones I really liked, and to say I didn't like something would be too difficult because I don't have a musical note in my body and could never create a piece of music so who am I to judge. But I also think it is rude to listen and not comment because the musician will naturally assume the worst, and this is why I stopped.

The only question I have about the original idea is what about the people who want to listen to tracks and don't have any tracks of their own for you to listen to?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2005, 07:35

TubularBelle - I would say that those people can comment as they please.  If they choose to give feedback, that's great.

In fact you raise a good point about downloading and commenting on every track.  I have also tried doing this and it's hard to know what to say for so many tracks.  I think if we start small, the results could be more successful.

It will be easier to keep track if all the musicians ask to be in the "Musicians" group (I'm in the group - note the title beneath my avatar).  If the person commenting on someone's music is in this group, it shows that they may have tracks of their own in this forum.

If someone gets lots of comments but doesn't return the favour, people will remember and won't comment on their tracks in future. That should be enough incentive to get this working.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2005, 07:59

well mate, I remember the time when there was me, Brandon, Korgscrew, Khoa Tran and many others regularly posting in fan tracks and reviewing each other. The thing is that most of us don't have time for it, and actually some of us don't want to be distracted by someone else's work.

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2005, 08:38

Surely musicians listen to other people's music?  Does it matter whether they are well-known artists or just starting out?

Do you have any other ideas that might get people posting feedback?  If everyone said they didn't have time to do it, and didn't want to be "distracted by someone else's work", none of us would get any feedback.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2005, 11:42

errrrm...don't get offended...

I didn't say I'm not going to review anyone else's work...and it doesn't matter if you are known or totally unknown

doesn't really matter...

I'm just telling you what I came to in conversation with some of the people named above...

sure there's time to get some feedback from time to time, but not forced feedback really, give and take is not the way a community should work, we offer songs to be listened and reviewed, if you care enough you review it. It's that simple, forcing anything is not a good way.

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2005, 13:38

give and take is not the way a community should work

I couldn't disagree more.

If someone takes the time to listen to my music and give me detailed feedback, I'd be only too happy to return the favour.

It's like when a community asks people to donate a very small amount of money to keeping the place going.  Not everyone has to, but if nobody does, the community could die.

Maybe if this was your community.  You might have a forum where people could share their tracks, but you wouldn't promise to comment on them.

But this isn't your community, and there are others who, like you, would love to get some feedback on their music.  Many of us don't get very much.  While this may not be the best solution, I think people would be more willing to comment if we give them something for doing it - i.e. commenting on THEIR tracks, if they have any.  If you don't return the favour, can you really expect to get replies to everything you post?  I know I don't get comments on everything I post, but would be happy to comment on some other people's music if they did the same for me...

Maybe if it's forced, it won't be as good... but if it's easy for people to get away with not commenting, they won't.  It would be difficult to enforce, but if I commented on five of your tracks and you commented on none of mine, I'd probably stop commenting on yours.  That's where the "give and take" approach comes in.

By the way - I'm not taking offence at your comments, just putting across a different perspective.  It's a discussion!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2005, 15:36

at first I'm running into problem with english here :-( cuz I'm not that good in it.

anyway
1) I'll be happy to return the favour to anyone who reviews my tracks :)

2) it's about offering your tracks, so if there would be a kind of hard limitation (like if you want to publish a track, you'll have to review two other trakcs) how many people would go into the trouble with sharing them?

3) it's all about people, so if we who are interested in this topic start reviewing works of each other, many people will see us and maybe try to copy us. That's the way, showing how to do this or that, not enforcing it!  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2005, 06:47

thanks for considering this. :)

it's about offering your tracks, so if there would be a kind of hard limitation (like if you want to publish a track, you'll have to review two other trakcs) how many people would go into the trouble with sharing them?

Good point.  At the moment, there are a lot of people posting new tracks, but very few who post feedback.  If this made less people post their music but more people posted feedback, I think that wouldn't be so bad.  Just as long as it doesn't stop everyone from posting their music here.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2005, 09:28

I think that more effective would be better promotion for the fan category of this board...People who visit other boards are prolly the best "consuments" and potential reviewers :)

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2005, 11:40

I have to agree... I don't like the idea of posting a comment being compulsory. On the one hand, you can always find the good in something (unless it's really, really laughable) and on the other, you can be overly critical. I think that for me, I would only like to comment when I have something constructive or encouraging to add. A straight 'yer, that's great. Keep it up' is nice to recieve, but doesn't give the opportunity for feedback.

One day, I would like to become a musician of sorts, and whilst I may make my stuff available here, I would probably provide it as is - not as like a test run before the final is made. It would be how I would want it first. That is what I think music should be about; about communicating something individual; something YOU. If other people stick their oar in, it looses its... purity.

But that's just my view on things. It's always nice to recieve feedback on anything you do - and if you're the type that would appreciate some constructive criticism at the embryonic stage - well my hat off to you, and good luck! I will of course review everything that comes to my attention :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
11 replies since Dec. 27 2005, 17:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net