Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Atari ST: Big Alec's Tubular Bells, YM2149 synthesizer soundchip version< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dma Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 08 2003, 10:06

Hi there,

When i saw this forum, i thought that you'd perhaps be interested in listening to the Atari ST (YM2149 synthesizer soundchip) version of Tubular Bells by Big Alec (Gunnar Gaubatz).
For info, the Yamaha YM2149 offers (only) 3 channels of PSG sound (very basic synthesis).

You won't perhaps like it, but it least you'll know it exists. :)

Get it here : http://nectarine.dhs.nu//synth/big%20alec-tubular%20bells.mp3
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 08 2003, 11:11

Nice example of creation something out of nothing  :D

It reminds me of those Game Boy games or old Nintendo 8 bit games or even Atari (the game console)! It could have been very nice for it!

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
dma Offline

Posted: May 08 2003, 12:48

There are real scenes for this kind of music, here are more links if you're interested. :)

Check YM-Rockerz for the latest achievements in Atari ST YM2149 music (MP3s available).

Also Kohina and Nectarine are nice web-radio with music from various systems.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 08 2003, 13:19

I'm still wanting to do a version of TB on the Commodore 64, since the C-64 'Synth Sample' demo is where I first encountered the name 'Mike Oldfield'. Too many other things to do, though  :p
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 17:59

wow thats were i first heard MO on a 64 demo, maybe it was the same 1?

think it was called swinth? could be wrong.. long long time ago in a galaxy far far away : )

=Bevy=
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2003, 15:50

Hm... Synth Sample - you mean this one?

http://hem.passagen.se/jowill/TubularBells(C64).mp3

(Right click and save)

/ Johan
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2003, 06:20

It was a demo that had a few tracks in it, including Tubular Bells, Jarre 'Oxygene' part something, Vangelis 'Spiral', Wendy / Walter Carlos 'Clockwork Orange theme', and a few others. It was called Synth Sample. I forget the name of the guy who wrote it. Tubular Bells was done really badly (in retrospect), but others, like the Jarre and Vangelis pieces were done very well. (Being of course much more easy to convert, as they were purely electronic in the first place). I managed to find this thing on the web a while back, and my disappointment with the TB rendering was what gave me the idea to do a new version of it; however, as I said, I've got so many other plans and so little time for them that I'll probably never get around to it...
Profile PM 
6 replies since May 08 2003, 10:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net