Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ascension and Pink Floyd's Eclipse< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 14 2009, 17:16

I find that Ascension and Eclipse from Dark Side of The Moon are somewhat similar.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2009, 17:44

Yes, they may be a little bit similar musically, but the mood is totally different IMHO: "Eclipse", to me, sounds like a defeat, a dénouement, or rather Pink Floyd's own admission that they've been defeated - that they haven't found what they were looking for, in the album. :) "Ascension" is a triumphant piece.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2009, 19:12

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 15 2009, 17:44)
or rather Pink Floyd's own admission that they've been defeated - that they haven't found what they were looking for, in the album.

In "Eclipse", the words are addressed to "you", repeatedly. This suggests to me that it is the audience itself - people in general, humanity - that is defeated. I agree about the difference in mood, though.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2009, 22:49

Exactly.  The audience is being addressed, clearly.  It's Roger Waters saying "it's up to you to figure it out - only you can shape your own destiny and avoid madness and despair."  Mike's "Ascension" instrumentally evokes hope in the future.  Both tracks serve a similar purpose on their respective albums, i.e. to act as "conclusions" to the narrative - but in every other respect, they are poles apart.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2009, 06:44

@ nightspore & smillsoid: this is more or less what I meant, I expressed myself badly. I was just trying to underline the main difference between the two pieces - "Eclipse" sounds like a defeat, while "Ascension" sounds like a victory - a triumph. Of course I agree with both of you that the ones who are addressed in "Eclipse" are the audience, the listeners; indeed, the whole Dark Side album is addressed to people in general, there isn't a single song where the band speaks for itself... except, maybe, "The Great Gig in the Sky", which, having no words but a well-defined theme, can maybe be felt on a more personal level both by the listeners and by the performers (mainly Rick Wright). At least IMHO. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 16 2009, 09:08

To be honest, I'm at a loss to say how Ascension and Eclipse are musically similar. The only thing they seem to share in common is the role of conclusion on their respective albums, and the difference in mood and theme has already been nicely addressed. But, musically similar? The chords, the rhythm, the melody, the dynamics... nothing seems to match. Not only that, but Eclipse is entirely constructed with elements not found anywhere else in the album, while Ascension is mostly nothing but a recap of previous themes (off the top of the head, Magellan and -- urgh -- Only Time Will Tell).

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2009, 09:17

You've hit the nail on the head.  However, perhaps both pieces evoke similar thoughts in the listener along the lines of "we're coming to the end of the album now - how has it made me feel?"  If "Dark Side" & "Distant Earth" were films, these pieces would be the last scene/final credits.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
6 replies since Oct. 14 2009, 17:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net