Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Artists Only, Er, sort of.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 16 2004, 09:16

(the title of the thread is just a ref. to a song, nothing more)

A question for all of us. As a wannabe-musician myself, I've been very interested on all aspects of music for quite some time. And one thing that particularly puzzles me about Mike Oldfield is how he always says he rarely listens to music, and how he prefers not to listen to music at all when working on an album, because it bothers him. I'm not questioning his behaviour, after all, if such an... er, "technique" helped him do Amarok, for example, I'm not gonna question anything. I, on the complete opposite, am constantly listening to music, even when in the process of writing an album (like I am right now), and not just that - I'm trying to listen to many kinds of music: Progressive Rock a la Genesis, Faux-Punk Rock a la Wire, "World Music" a la Talking Heads, Reggae a la Bob Marley, and then there is Jean-Michel Jarre, Brian Eno, The Residents, Radiohead, and several others. For example, yesterday, I bought an LP by The Cure, a band that I had never listened before. It was very curious and interesting. I feel that all those listenings help me a lot. My music ceases to be so shallow, and gains different aspects; not just the insertion of different genres and influences, but I sense something new when comparing my current work with my previous album, which I find a bit too unidimensional.

I'm asking, which approach do you prefer? Do you try to be diverse and absorb influences when working on music? Or do you prefer to keep your mind focused and concentrate on your goals? I'm not trying to decide with side is right or wrong, mind you. I'm just trying to start a nice discussion. I'm not questioning anyone here.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
0 replies since April 16 2004, 09:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net