Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Arrival< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 31 2002, 08:20

I was listening to Arrival at high volume in my car the other day,and i noticed that Mike plays the melody to it on guitar under the vocal sections,it is in the back of the mix,and has a couple of different notes that changes the melody very slighty,but sounds amazing,i just love the way Mike does this,he does it a lot,this is exactly what Hank Marvin does mostly nowadays with his albums,following the melody.But it was great to hear a track that i have heard so many times sound different again,that is again one of Mikes genius strong points,i guess there are other things like this to be found if you turn up the volume,for instance,when i was getting into Mike,someone told me to put on Ommadawn at very high volume,and lie on the floor in the dark,and listen.I recomend it,it was amazing.
The other thing about Arrival is that Mike is of course covering ABBA,strange indeed,i have often wondered just why choose to cover the only instrumental track from such a band,i love ABBA too,so i am not putting them down,just curious,wonder what Benny and Bjorn thought of Mike's effort.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2003, 09:06

AFAIK covering an Abba tune was a promotional move by Mike (or more probably by Virgin) to make him score at least one hit in America, where Abba were (and, to a certain level, still are) hugely popular. And maybe he chose the only instrumental track in the whole of Abba's production because its strong melody was particularily suited to his guitar-playing. :) But didn't I say somewhere else (in another forum) that all of the songs on Islands sound very Abba-ish to me, especially the ones Anita sings? Evidently Mike does not totally dislike the Swedish fourpiece. :)

P.S.: I'm sure Benny & Björn would appreciate a lot. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2003, 09:19

Good points,i really like the way that scandinavian women sing in English,it's so pure,and presise,i am sure either of the ABBA girl's could sing any Mike song that Anita sang,and make it sound really good.I don't think Anita would sing for Mike again,so,maybe Agnetha or Frida could.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2003, 12:20

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Dec. 31 2002, 08:20)
... it was great to hear a track that i have heard so many times sound different again,that is again one of Mikes genius strong points...

...Ommadawn at very high volume,and lie on the floor in the dark,and listen.I recomend it,it was amazing.

for the first... completely agree with u

and for the second... that's curious... i've done this million times... actually one of my favourites moments to listen to ommadawn is that before falling asleep, with the headphones, darkness and closed eyes... yep, really amazing and i think that is because ommadawn is a composition with such a big amount of details, or layers... that it's neccessary to focuss completely on it to catch all its richness. in ommadawn i can see a very detailed background in which the melody plays the scene, all the time... it's like a ride through a very deep forest

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 01 2003, 19:35

There's a little mention of the reasons for recording Arrival in the discography. Pretty much as Ugo says; a commercial suggestion by Virgin. I suppose he picked Arrival because it being instrumental suited what he wanted to do with the album, or maybe he just liked it.

There are lots of little details hidden away in Mike's music, and it can be fun to listen out for them once you've discovered them. Sticking with QE2, if you listen out near the beginning of Taurus 1, just before the mandolin finishes playing and the drums kick in, you can hear Mike singing along in unison with the mandolin line (starting around 0:58) - I thought it was quite a fun little touch when I first heard it.

Pictures In The Dark always struck me as having a slight nod towards Abba in the sound - I think it's the way the vocals are layered.

it's like a ride through a very deep forest

There's a hollow deep in the woods where you know you're crazy to go, to go, not even meant to know... ;)
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2003, 06:10

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Jan. 01 2003, 15:19)
I don't think Anita would sing for Mike again,so,maybe Agnetha or Frida could.

Last I heard about Agnetha was that she was so much fed up with music that she completely retired and didn't even listen to _any_ music for years - that would leave just Frida..

Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2003, 07:05

That is true about Agnetha,but she was interviewed for the first time in years for a documentary on UK TV about ABBA,but she was not comfotable talking in English,so she spoke in her native Swedish,she said that for many many years she did not listen to any music at all,including ABBA,but recently,she was slowly getting back into it,the last i heard was that she was making a solo album,but i find that hard to believe,shame,as she is such a great singer.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2003, 17:37

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 01 2003, 19:35)
There's a hollow deep in the woods where you know you're crazy to go, to go, not even meant to know... ;)

:) after a long ride… ‘arrival’ at a silver glade… a lake among the trees… the sky full of stars and a party there… people singing, playing drums and pipes and dancing…  
i think i’ve been there some spring night :D

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
7 replies since Dec. 31 2002, 08:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net