Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Argiers, .. video and mp3 of the festive classic< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
captainjjb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 28 2009, 12:38

hi all, following a discussion here about what chords to use for Argiers I thought I'd try playing it, and thisafternoon in a very rare "i've nothing better to do" moment I recorded my own version and did a video for youtube.  Hope someone enjoys it, I love the tune.
the mp3 is here
and the video is here
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2009, 13:21

Very nice and very mellow. Love the festive lights in the background. Good playing
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2009, 15:54

Well I hope you have a few more "nothing better to do moments" as I enjoyed that immensely.And I agree with you about Argiers being in the festive spirit as it were.In fact there are quite a number of tracks and passages of music by Mike that put me in mind of this time year.Which considering he now spends his time living permanently in sunnier climes,is kind of bizzare in a way.Or maybe it`s not bizzare at all I guess?Great version though.Maybe it would be a good thing to do a kind of Mike Oldfield Christmas/winter album performed by fans?..Just a thought.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2009, 08:14

Very very good!Love the overdubs too.The 'banjo' sound (could be a real banjo)put me in mind of whatever track uses a banjo early on side two of TBII,(the one that apes the organ and guitar duet on the original)and a little of Mike Oldfield's Single (the original mix)Any chance you could tab the chords or just put the shapes down and PM me?Bit cheeky i know but although i have the first part capo'd at the 5th and again i can do it sans capo but getting stuck thereafter.Starting to do my nut!
 Btw how did you get the 12-string type sound?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2009, 17:28

thanks for the comments.  I think the 12 string sound would have come from 2 6 strings playing together (one as in the video). I don't have a 12 string, or a banjo.  For the overdubs for the 2nd half, I tried doing a single "hard" electric guitar but it sounded like I was TRYING to sound like MO but was shallow and just not as good, so I added another softer guitar to play along as well which is maybe why it sounds a bit like a banjo as there are two guitars playing together.  What got me was how important the bass is on the piece, I didn't realise until pacing up and down and listening to my results and then listening to the original and realising that the bass makes SO much difference, which is why I added that for the 2nd half of the piece.  I'm not sure I got the chords exactly right but I will try to put something together.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2009, 03:27

Thanks very much.Your arrangement was buzzing round my head for most of the afternoon so it must have something  :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2009, 13:56

Very nice indeed!   :)

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2010, 07:23

I was trying to play this with my daughter (who can now play the flute tune) the other day and I've completely forgotton the chords!  Just one year on.... shucks.  Just as well I've a full copy of this video so I watch myself.....
Lets see, use the capo..... and....
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2010, 08:03

If I remember well, you bought a Mike's guitar in 2006.

Why didn't you use it in this video?
:/

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2010, 11:41

I did use it on the recording (to the do main theme at the begginning)  but the video shows the rhythm guitar part with the chords - thank heavens.

I've still got Mike's guitar and play it every day!  It is the one he used on the 1999 tour to play Ommadawn etc.
The best video on youtube of me playing the Oldfield guitar is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFiI4uzlTBM for which I apologise completely as it won't make much sense to MO fans.

My favourite video of Mike using the guitar is from the VH1 recording http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjXAfjVHUKA
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2010, 06:35

Quote (captainjjb @ Oct. 30 2010, 16:41)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFiI4uzlTBM for which I apologise completely as it won't make much sense to MO fans.

Captainjjb - Your hair's grown very long in a year. How did you acquire Mike's guitar - I don't know the story.

Your playing of Argiers (with the Christmas tree) has a very nice festive and spiritual feel.     :cool:

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2010, 09:49

Quote (wiga @ Oct. 31 2010, 06:35)
How did you acquire Mike's guitar - I don't know the story.

Well, I was walking along Hergest Ridge a few years back and would you believe it there’s Mike sat cross legged on the ground picking away on this wonderful Ramirez Classical Guitar.  I commented on how beautiful the guitar sounded and he demonstrated how great it sounded by playing excerpts from Ommadawn and Tubular Bells, wonderful stuff.  He then suggested I should have the guitar as he was moving house soon and didn’t want to take all his guitars with him.

Or.... music shop Chandlers sold quite a few of his guitars in one go a few years back and I was lucky enough to take notice at the right time and finally buy a classical guitar which I’d wanted for years.
:D
Profile PM 
11 replies since Dec. 28 2009, 12:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net