Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Are some 'short versions' of Mike's songs edits of so-called 'extended< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 03 2002, 21:36

Hi all. I'd like to ask to you: are all of Mike's 'extended versions' of songs really extended versions? Or weren't some of them born as long songs, then Mike edited 'em down for single releases? confused
An example of this might be Pictures in The Dark. On the 7-inch version, on 1:50 I can hear what sounds like an edit in the middle of the guitar solo. As you may know wink, on the so-called 'extended version' (which, I think, is actually a 'long' version), Mike starts the solo by repeating the same phrase twice, and then changing into another, and the whole solo seems to flow naturally, at least to me. smile But in the 7-inch version the first phrase is done only once and the transition to the second one sounds a little bit abrupt. Plus, at the very end of the song, if you have fine ears smile, you can hear an edit cutting off the guitar notes before the last synth chord comes in.
Something like this also happens in Moonlight Shadow: on the common version, I think there's an edit right before the words "Caught in the middle of 105": Maggie sings it way louder than the rest of the song. In the 'long'/'extended' version, you can hear the full verse, and the volume rise in Maggie's voice happens [again, to my ears smile] in a more plausible way.
Of course, I'm not saying that all of Mike's extended mixes are like this: I can clearly hear that the extended versions of Guilty and Shine, for example, are very different from the 7-inch ones and thus they are certainly re-played, but I think that at least the two songs listed above were born as long songs that Mike edited down. smile Please reply and tell me what do you think of this.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 11 2002, 15:12

i agree entirely that some 'extended version's may indeed be the original versions...as you mentionned, moonlight shadow may very well be an example...of course some merely have parts repeated, or even just a little bit of extra music unconnected to the song itself (think flying start extended version)...it would be interesting for dark star to ask mike about his policies regarding song editing in an interview...i imagine that often if mike had written the longer version, it would have to be edited for the 7", like a radio edit...but its obviously not a permanent rule as songs in two versions vary in all kinds of ways, from being edits to virtually completely different recordings (eg Guilty)...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 04 2002, 05:50

YES I AGREE WITH MAN IN THE RAIN AND UGO. THE EXTENDED VERSIONS ARE USUALLY THE ONES ON THE ALBUM. I THINK THE ONLY ONES THAT ARE CALLED "EXTENDED VERSIONS" ARE THE SONGS THAT ARE ONLY RELEASED ON SINGLE, SO THERE IS NO ALBUM TO PUT THE ORGINAL VERSION ON.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
2 replies since Mar. 03 2002, 21:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net