Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Anyone have pics of the original Tubular Bell?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
HRFanUSA Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 19 2009, 14:20

Years ago I saw some photos of the original Tubular Bell sculpture but after some intensive searching recently, I can't find any. I'd love to have some photos of the original if anyone has any and wants to share.

Thanks, Harry
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 04:24

Dunno if it ever existed as an entire sculpture.According to Tom Newman it was about four feet wide and beautifull but didn't have a back!
 I also heard a rumour that it was destroyed in a fire in Trevor Key's house.Not sure if that's true or not though.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 04:35

@ Caveman: yes, it was backless (like Bob Dylan) and, according to what I've read somewhere, made up by two separate pieces. And it wasn't destroyed, it was stolen.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 06:33

ok i was half right!

BTW the backless Dylan reference.Eric Clapton called his 1978 album Backless for this reason as a tribute to his Bobness. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 12:18

Thanks for the updates!  Sure would be nice if Mercury would make available a limited-edition TB sculpture, maybe 12" tall, Chrome-plated, and mounted on a black base, lol. If I had the means, I'd make one to display in my back yard...

Harry
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 12:50

Nice idea!Anyone out there from Mercury listening to this? :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 25 2009, 12:06

Wonder where the original one is--an interesting mystery to solve. <image pops in head of Richard Branson laughing maniacally in a locked, temperature-humidity controlled room, tucked away in a sub-basement> Detectives and psychics unite! The book could be intriguing.  Ideas for a title?

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: May 25 2009, 12:30

Quote (Ugo @ May 21 2009, 09:35)
And it wasn't destroyed, it was stolen.

Correct.
It was stolen and the TB2 image is a remake/redo
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 28 2009, 10:11

IMHO the TB2 image was actually,how can i put this politely....ok i can't put it politely......CRAP!Looked so cheap and obviously computer generated compared to the original which had a beautiful organic feel.The image used for TB3 was much nicer,as well as being an actual model as well.
 Good idea for a book Inkanta.Branson turns international art and modern icon thief.
 Wouldn't it be good if the orginal was found in time for the re-issue.
 Did anyone who went to any of the Then And Now gigs get one of the little sterling silver pendant TB's?I got one for my wife.She was very pleased and i think she still has it.Really nice bit of merchandise, :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 28 2009, 10:30

@ Caveman: I've got a gold TB lapel pin that a friend made especially for me. I just wouldn't know what to do with a pendant in that shape. I've never worn anything as a pendant but a gold cross, and I'm too much used to it to even think of replacing with anything else  - I've got strong religious beliefs, you see.
About the TBII and TBIII pics: I never really cared about the TBII imagine being CG, I only cared about the music and I still do, as that album is one of my Oldfield favs. I never bothered to compare the quality of the TBII image to the quality of the original one. However, when TBIII came out, I couldn't help but notice how beautiful the new image was - it looked like an object straight out of a modern arts museum, and indeed in the booklet it's actually pictured that way. :) I still have to find out whether the actual model they used on the cover is small or large, as Model Solutions (the company who made it) is known for having made rather large props, like  these ones. I wonder why Mike (or the cover designers) didn't ask them to build the Bell as early as TBII...  :zzz:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 28 2009, 12:12

That's an interesting thing as they also made the 'boat' thingy for the re-issue of Pink Floyd's Relics.I think i mentioned this before.The original was a drawing by Nick Mason and when the re-issue came out a few years ago they chose to get Models Creations to actually build it.Really is a beautiful peice of work although i am very fond of the original.

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 28 2009, 17:08

Quote (The Caveman @ May 28 2009, 10:11)
 Did anyone who went to any of the Then And Now gigs get one of the little sterling silver pendant TB's?I got one for my wife.She was very pleased and i think she still has it.Really nice bit of merchandise, :laugh:

Yep. Four of them. And three of them are missing (the one was a gift for a friend in Oz). The first one was lost outright, the second was lost when I went for a stress test, and the last one seems to have disappeared out of my house (back in Missouri). I had it on a beautiful pentacle necklace. The chains were awful quality (easy to just get another chain, though), but the bells were absolutely wonderful. I wore it every day, through countless hours of running and dance.  I wish that they would avail the bell on the website.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
11 replies since May 19 2009, 14:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net