Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Any one Played "Myst", Similar Games< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 13 2006, 09:53

I was Bought a CD rom of "MYST" masterpiece Edition Last Week... I got it done in a Week using a few "Walkthroughs" I must "Admit"...  Has any one done all the other 4 in the Series?  Ie which one is best for really nice graphics to get music etc .. ?? How does it compare to Tres Lunas.. Still not played yet as my graphics card isnt good enough to run it.
The hardest puzzel on Myst is setting that graphic equaliser type thing in the space ship to match the Organ i found..Much grief experienced there .. :cool:
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 13 2006, 10:33

"MYST" was the computer game that inspired mike to do the TSODE cd-rom elements. It was cutting edge at the time of release, with beautiful graphics.

The later games added more movement, and by the time "URU" came along you had some stunning worlds to move around in, with some haunting music as well.

There is an on-line version where you can chat and inter-act with others, URU Live, which is still quite popular.

Tres Lunas appears like a home-made creation in comparison, although the music by Mike makes Tres a different experience and in a class of it's own.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2006, 11:09

Quote (Deadcalm @ Oct. 13 2006, 14:53)
which one is best for really nice graphics to get music etc .. ??

Uru is simply outstanding. (The Myst games in general - from which Uru is an offshoot - are visually beautiful but intensely frustrating - so frustrating that they irritate me to the point of uninstalling them! )

Uru likewise has some stupidly obscure puzzles in it, but in this case the combination of a stunningly inventive virtual world to explore, with some wonderful music and sound effects, makes the effort worthwhile. It's the most beautiful and (temporarily) absorbing computer game I've ever played.

How does it compare to Tres Lunas..

It doesn't. They aren't the same kind of thing. Graphically Uru is light years beyond Tr3s Lunas, but it is basically a computer game with a beginning and an end. When you finish the game (which takes a long time), you more or less stop playing it (unless you continue online). But even offline, you never really do finish playing Tr3s Lunas, because the experience is all about 'being there', rather than completing something.
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 14 2006, 03:59

Thanks.. I looked at URU on Amazon Reviews .. I think I need a Better Graphics Card to Play that one too!   They Recomend
the   MYST Exile  one  and the 4th as being Good with RIVEN being Plain Hard to Complete.... I need a Stiff drink and a few Months to get over the MYST one before attempting another Head Hurting Game Though  ;) ...Any one Heard of the NewGame being developed.. I Think its called "Spawn" I remember it being talked about on TV last year.. Be nice to have a few Games without the need for completing tasks where you could just explore Worlds Planets etc without having to Unlock the levels all the time..Guess Its got to Sell copies to make it viable though..Ive seen "Kameo" on X Box 360   at a mates house.. The Graphics are pretty outstanding on that  .. But the Game play doesnt appeal to me much..
ah well Hey Ho  :cool:
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2006, 11:11

Quote (Deadcalm @ Oct. 14 2006, 08:59)
Thanks.. I looked at URU on Amazon Reviews .. I think I need a Better Graphics Card to Play that one too!

You might like to take a look at Syberia, and The Longest Journey. I found them truly captivating (FAR more so than any of the Myst games - Uru always excepted, of course.) And they run happily on my wife's exceedingly humble laptop, so you might be OK with those on your machine.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2006, 11:12

Alan, I found Syberia in my local Walmart for $5.  A great find and a great game.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2006, 12:07

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Oct. 15 2006, 16:12)
Alan, I found Syberia in my local Walmart for $5.

Now that's a bargain! Look out for Syberia2, which is just as captivating.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Oct. 13 2006, 09:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net