Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Any news of sister Sally?, Looking for info on Sally Oldfield< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Online

Group: Members
Posted: May 29 2012, 17:22

There's always a market for experimental cult-acts like David Bedford. The real difficult sell is yesterdays mainstream pop acts. The albums Sally recorded in her less succesful period (late 80s and on) are very mainstream sounding and (as I would guess) of little interest to any potential cult audience.

I also think that it takes a lot of work for artists to get their albums re-released. It seems Sally has retired from the business and that could be one of the reasons why her music is not being more widely available. Back catalogue doesn't sell itself.
Even if artists make very little money out of records, an active or touring artist would need something to sell to make an extra buck, therefore they make deals for re-releases. They don't have to take the pressing costs and they can buy as many copies as they are able to sell. But I suppose Sally doesn't depend upon merchandise either...

One of my favorite cult heroes, Damon Edge, died in 1996 and to this day most of his work is kept out of print. The rights to the music went to his sister who hasn't bothered to do anything with it. Had she been a bit active I'm sure there would have been oportunities.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: May 30 2012, 02:39

Quote (larstangmark @ May 29 2012, 17:22)
There's always a market for experimental cult-acts like David Bedford. The real difficult sell is yesterdays mainstream pop acts. The albums Sally recorded in her less succesful period (late 80s and on) are very mainstream sounding and (as I would guess) of little interest to any potential cult audience.

I think Sally's music was payed most attention to when Mike was very successful in continental Europe. I agree when her late 80s music is called mainstream but in my opinion her 90s recordings are underrated. It's a shame as there are many good tracks among them.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 30 2012, 10:01

I see, yes, that makes a lot of sense. I actually only have one SO compilation album myself. I've always meant to get Water Bearer at least, but haven't come around to it yet...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Online

Posted: May 30 2012, 15:34

My favorite Sally Oldfield track is "Mandala" from Celebration. It's very, very Mike Oldfield-sounding. I have the album and not too fond of the rest of it.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 30 2012, 15:43

That one is on my compilation, but I don't really remember it. I'll have to listen to it again. I very much like "Water Bearer" and "The Sun In My Eyes". A few of the other ones are very nice as well.
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: June 03 2012, 11:23

I've always loved 'Mirrors' very much. But I also like listening to one of her 80s mainstream albums like 'Femme' from time to time because I think that her warm, exeptional voice even makes mainstream sound in a noble way.

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 03 2012, 16:28

She is an exceptional singer, no doubt about it. From Mike's stuff, to her guest appearance with Steve Hackett, to her own material and what she did with Terry O., she can turn anything into gold with her amazing voice.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 04 2012, 10:30

Quote (Holger @ June 03 2012, 22:28)
She is an exceptional singer, no doubt about it. From Mike's stuff, to her guest appearance with Steve Hackett, to her own material and what she did with Terry O., she can turn anything into gold with her amazing voice.

indeed...! have you heard her voice on Ave maria... :D lovely version..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: July 26 2012, 14:39

New compilation "Arrows of Desire" features a rare track featuring Mike called "Break Through The Rock"

Source MySpace

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
28 replies since April 20 2009, 02:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net