Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Any MO fans into ambient music?, Just curious< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 22 2009, 07:45

Quote (Scatterplot @ Nov. 22 2009, 02:41)
...Tangerine Dream was/is a group of German Synthesizer buffs who made synth albums from the early 70's to the present. Some of their early stuff was quite boring. But as technology progressed, so did they. They have done some FINE soundtracks for movies such as Firestarter and The Bounty. I like them a lot for certain albums, but their body of music is large, some very boring, much of it I dismiss. "Melrose" was very good as was "Force Majeur". If you like MO you will like some of their material. Its not unlike Vangelis or Synergy. You should check out their offerings and see which ones you like.
Jim

Force Majeure was their first real clunker, and Melrose is possible their worst ever album (Turn of the Tides or Lily on the Beach are also hot contenders). Tangerine up until ca 1977 was free-form electronic improvisation. Truly mindblowing stuff. Then they steadily developed into some sort of jingle-like instrumental  music that can best be described as one half Mimi Vice one half Yanni. Think heavy usage of preset sounds like "12 string guitar" and "slap bass" on average priced synth workstations.
I think they perfected that sound on Melrose!
But if Tres Lunas is your favorite MO album then go for modern day Tangerine Dream.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2009, 13:22

Quote (ommaGeddon @ Nov. 22 2009, 11:46)
Ah, I’ll have to check out By The Dawn’s Early Light. I saw it on Amazon a while back but was a bit put off when I heard there was poetry on it (I tend to like my ambient music purely instrumental).

:laugh: Yeah the poetry put me off a bit at first,but it does fit into the album very well imo.Besides which it`s in short doses anyway so it never takes over the proceedings so`s to speak.It`s probably Budd`s least Ambient work in many respects,apart from maybe his album with The Cocteau Twins.It`s very evocative and engaging though,with a lot more variation and actual "orthodox" composition I guess.Still very much a Harold Budd album though,I`d highly recommend it.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2009, 13:40

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 22 2009, 07:45)
Force Majeure was their first real clunker, and Melrose is possible their worst ever album (Turn of the Tides or Lily on the Beach are also hot contenders). Tangerine up until ca 1977 was free-form electronic improvisation. Truly mindblowing stuff. Then they steadily developed into some sort of jingle-like instrumental  music that can best be described as one half Mimi Vice one half Yanni. Think heavy usage of preset sounds like "12 string guitar" and "slap bass" on average priced synth workstations.
I think they perfected that sound on Melrose!
But if Tres Lunas is your favorite MO album then go for modern day Tangerine Dream.

Well, Tr3s Lunas is certainly not my fav MO album, so I think I'll be checking out Tangerine Dream's earlier years.

ommaGeddon, you've only been here a couple of days, and even you have posted nearly as much as me. I think I need to check up on this site more often. I'll go through phases where I'm looking every day, and then I won't look for months. Of course, I'm the same way about MO's music, so maybe they go toghether.

Seriously guys, do check out the sites I mentioned earlier, as they all have free music (except Serein), and some of it is excellent.  :cool:
Profile PM 
ommaGeddon Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2009, 15:17

Quote (Syd B @ Nov. 22 2009, 18:40)
ommaGeddon, you've only been here a couple of days, and even you have posted nearly as much as me. I think I need to check up on this site more often. I'll go through phases where I'm looking every day, and then I won't look for months. Of course, I'm the same way about MO's music, so maybe they go toghether.

Seriously guys, do check out the sites I mentioned earlier, as they all have free music (except Serein), and some of it is excellent.  :cool:

:laugh: Well Syd, I will have overtaken you by the end of today - you're just an inadequate poster!  ;)

Only kidding, of course - I'm just like you; sometimes I say a lot, sometimes nothing at all. I've just had too much free time on my hands this weekend!

BTW, interesting sites you mentioned. I like Opake on Archaic Horizon - reminds me of Jan Jelinek meets GAS. :)
Profile PM 
23 replies since Nov. 17 2009, 21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net