Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Anticipating album 27, what do you expect and hope for?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Platinumpty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 24 2013, 11:56

I couldn't resist making the first topic posting (well, I have 8 minutes to spare before I leave the office and can't be bothered starting something seinsible and work-related).

What are your hopes for the new album?  Realistic expectations?

I'm hoping the songs will be direct, accessible, not too cheesy, heartfelt and beautifully-played with a few sonic surprises along the way.  I doubt the critics will sing its praises but I'm sure the fans will embrace it.

As with all recent Oldfield albums there will be moments of real transendence and a couple of things that make me cringe.

My favorite Oldfield "rock" songs are Shadow on the Wall, Crime of Passion and Five Miles Out so anything in that ballpark of brilliance will make me very happy indeed.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 24 2013, 16:12

My general feeling is it's shaping up to be a fairly slick commercial rock album. Starting with Music of the Spheres, I have the sense that Universal is working on shaping Mike and his work up to be as marketable a thing as possible - I don't think Karl Jenkins, Hayley Westenra and Lang Lang were picked because they were personal friends or favourites of Mike, but rather, because they're among the biggest names on Universal's classical roster. I have the sense Universal had a big hand in his appearance at the Olympics, and they certainly had a big hand in the recent documentary (for those who didn't twig, Daryl Easlea - interviewed as a 'biographer' - is the head of the back catalogue release project).

So I think this album's been shaped into something which they think will do reasonably well commercially, and that'll help cement his new 'rock legend' status (I know fans have always seen him as a legend, but I think the kind of  media coverage he's been getting recently has been a sign of  a changing tide). What the critics will think of it is anyone's guess, and I' suspect it's not going to be the Next Great Oldfield Album that fans have been hoping for, but I imagine it's going to be a slickly produced album with some good playing on it...I look forward with intrigue!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2013, 06:09

I'm also very intrigued. I'm not at all worried about production (where, for example, L+S had some issues) or playing, as the collaborators seem more than competent, which has always been a big plus for Mike whenever he did collaborate in recent years. My hope, however, is that it will actually deserve to be called a "rock album". I don't expect full-blown heavy metal or anything of course (though that would be so awesome :D), I just hope it doesn't go to the other extreme too much.

Come to think of it, the last time he has "publically rocked" was on TB2003 - ten years ago - and I have to say that even though I never really listen to that one, I thought it was more than decent and the rock parts really did rock. Going back even further, "Outcast" from TBIII was an awesome rocking tune, whereas Guitars was nice and had some rock bits but I guess they just didn't rock as much.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it seems obvious that Mike can rock out when he chooses to, but it's ages ago that he did any substantial amounts of it, and I'm intrigued to hear whether he can actually still do it for the length of an album. Although very likely, there will also be some "ballad-type" softer stuff.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2013, 07:18

I like the fact that Mike has jumped genre again, going from his last album being classical to this one being rock, similar to Earth Moving, being all vocal to Amarok, being 1 hour of instumental music. So, my hopes are high for this album, he has a new label who seem to like him!! and he has got some great people on the album apart from himself. As for if it will be "rock" or not, who knows, but Mike asked the same question about MOTS to himself, and the answer "It's my idea of classical music" and this album could be his idea of rock music. For me, the fact we all don't really know what we are getting is exciting, imagine being a fan of chart music, etc, with that, you know you are getting the same thing with every release!!!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2013, 08:13

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 24 2013, 16:12)
My general feeling is it's shaping up to be a fairly slick commercial rock album. Starting with Music of the Spheres, I have the sense that Universal is working on shaping Mike and his work up to be as marketable a thing as possible - I don't think Karl Jenkins, Hayley Westenra and Lang Lang were picked because they were personal friends or favourites of Mike, but rather, because they're among the biggest names on Universal's classical roster. I have the sense Universal had a big hand in his appearance at the Olympics, and they certainly had a big hand in the recent documentary (for those who didn't twig, Daryl Easlea - interviewed as a 'biographer' - is the head of the back catalogue release project).

So I think this album's been shaped into something which they think will do reasonably well commercially, and that'll help cement his new 'rock legend' status (I know fans have always seen him as a legend, but I think the kind of  media coverage he's been getting recently has been a sign of  a changing tide). What the critics will think of it is anyone's guess, and I' suspect it's not going to be the Next Great Oldfield Album that fans have been hoping for, but I imagine it's going to be a slickly produced album with some good playing on it...I look forward with intrigue!

Some very good reflection of Mike's recent work there. Personally I think an artist like Mike has compensate for not touring with making every recording project "big" (with guest stars etc).
Not touring and making semi-progessive music (like Incantations/FMO) would not pay the bills for his Bahamas home I suppose.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2013, 11:13

Quote (Holger @ Oct. 25 2013, 12:09)
Going back even further, "Outcast" from TBIII was an awesome rocking tune, whereas Guitars was nice and had some rock bits but I guess they just didn't rock as much.

Agreed, but I think Guitars would rock much more if it had real drums. It would be a totally different album with someone like JR on the drums. The guitars on Guitars would not need to be changed.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2013, 11:56

Quote (Harmono @ Oct. 25 2013, 11:13)
Agreed, but I think Guitars would rock much more if it had real drums. It would be a totally different album with someone like JR on the drums. The guitars on Guitars would not need to be changed.

True - the ticky, tinny midi drums triggered by guitar effects on "Guitars" kind of spoilt it for me.  Neil Young more recently demonstrated you can make a sonically-full sounding rock album with just one guitar (on "Le Noise") but then he did have the genius of Daniel Lanois producing.

I'd love to hear a remixed version called "Guitars....Mostly" replacing all the fake synth pads and drums with maybe bowed guitar (a la Jimmy Page) and real drums.
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2013, 00:46

Quote (Harmono @ Oct. 25 2013, 11:13)
Agreed, but I think Guitars would rock much more if it had real drums.

Agreed. It would have been a much better album if he hadn't devised the 'everything is guitar' concept.

I'm a little worried about the vocalist on the new album, I mean I loved Barry Palmer, but I can't stand those all too clean male vocals like on Magic Touch and on the Earth Moving album.

At least Mike isn't singing on it I suppose, that's a good start.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2013, 05:41

Luke Spiller from The Struts is the only guy singing on Man on the Rocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq_BaUrFnhk

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2013, 16:19

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Oct. 27 2013, 05:41)
Luke Spiller from The Struts is the only guy singing on Man on the Rocks

Hmmm well hopefully it will grow on me.  :D
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2013, 09:12

Given recent hints about "Tubular Bells 4" (although it could still prove to be a joke) we may need a 28th album forum soon enough.  Personally I'm hoping that the floodgates of inspiration have been opened and more music is pouring out.  I know, I'm greedy.
Profile PM WEB 
barabadam Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2013, 20:47

I'm torn about the purchase; should I get it on vinyl or just wait for it to show up on Google Play?
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2013, 11:53

I'm going for the enhanced CD release - apparently demos are in the offing.  Plus I don't (yet) have a turntable (I miss my old vinyl though so this will be remedied in 2014).
Profile PM WEB 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2014, 17:36

Just 3 weeks to go till it's released :-)
Profile PM 
barabadam Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2014, 21:27

anyone hosting a listening party?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2014, 04:54

Quote (barabadam @ Jan. 11 2014, 01:27)

I wasn't planning on it, but it's an interesting idea! It would be fun to hold something at midnight on the day of the release, if we could persuade Universal to cooperate...

Would anyone (either in the UK, or willing to travel to the UK - most likely London) be up for that?
Profile PM 
amarokbells Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2014, 12:57

IMO, I think that the album will be bad. Seriously.
I would like a new album with one long rock song (with no electro-lounge music and singers)

--------------
Xhaso language is the best language in the world
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2014, 19:36

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 11 2014, 08:54)
Quote (barabadam @ Jan. 11 2014, 01:27)

I wasn't planning on it, but it's an interesting idea! It would be fun to hold something at midnight on the day of the release, if we could persuade Universal to cooperate...

Would anyone (either in the UK, or willing to travel to the UK - most likely London) be up for that?

I'd be interested on it if does happen !

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2014, 06:39

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 11 2014, 04:54)

Spirit willing, flesh weak... :/  Industry listening events often take place a bit or a lot earlier than release, for the hope of creating 'buzz'; I shall put on my trend-setting threads and crash one of those, for I fear other dates won't suit.  Hope it all comes off!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2014, 17:06

From the Tubular Bells II era: "I'm not really a pianist, I'm not a pianist at all but I have got a way of feeling music - I start playing a piece of music and I'm off into this different world. Trevor kept saying "Well, we ought to get a real pianist to play that" and I said "Well, alright, I'll try it, let's listen to a real pianist". In comes a real pianist, the real pianist played it really and we all sort of went "Hmm..." you know, it just doesn't sound unique, it didn't sound like my music any more, 'cause I wasn't playing it, so it seems as if I have some sort of style which gives it my character, so I have to play it myself."

Similar producer but different approach on going ahead with "real musicians" with this album. As he said himself he sees it as something he hasn't done before, so perhaps by extension as not really his characteristic music in some way.
Profile PM 
21 replies since Oct. 24 2013, 11:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net