Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Another 'The Wind Chimes' question, but less Agony Aunt-esque (see the< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jammer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 01 2000, 20:00

Lots of people keep talking about the video which went with 'The Wind Chimes'

1. What's it like? Does it really enhance the piece?

2. Where would I be able to find this?

3. My video player isn't very reliable - one day I may get a DVD player when they become more widely used. Will there be a DVD version of 'Islands' with all the same tracks but with the videos included? (I'd like to see this done with all the MO songs that have videos to go with them, or one DVD compilation of MO videos and other stuff)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 18 2000, 18:28

I guess in a way both the album and the video are both little examples of Mike experimenting and playing with things. The video is bizarre, really being various experiments with computer graphics.
I first heard "The Wind Chimes" when I bought the video, and I sort of miss it when it isn't there. If you look at it critically, it's just a collection of (slightly random) images, but being the thing that Mike visualised to accompany his music, it is fascinating. That's just what I think, though...some people don't even bother with it - they think it's too weird, doesn't have enough to it, or whatever (I'm not saying they're wrong either...).
Not sure where to get it...seems buying second hand is the best bet (somewhere on the net I guess). I just bought my copy in a big record store (Tower or somewhere like that...don't remember exactly), but that was quite a few years ago, so I don't know how much luck you'd have now. I think there might also be some places I don't know about which I'm sure someone else will kindly mention...
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2002, 04:24

I saw the video once. I got it from the video library. The video was old, 75% static, and the sound was bad. mad
I like the song though.

visit www.global.net.au/~holmangp

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2002, 11:37

The video might seem just a mad mix of visual images,but they are there for a reason,the computer work,was just Mike playing with the new technologly,and seeing what he could do with music and computer images,which is hindsight was worthwhile,because it led him to MusicRV,the other images are from Bali,where Mike got the idea for the Wind Chimes,because he liked the sound of the music out there,and wanted to compose a piece of music using the Gamelen scale of traditional Balinese music.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Aug. 01 2000, 20:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net