Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: another spanish l+s interview., el faro de vigo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
maria Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 29 2005, 11:41

hello,
here it is a new interview i've found at david (toroacu)'s blog. it came out yesterday with the title 'i'm a one-band man' in the weekend's supplement of the galician newspaper el faro de vigo. i think u may find it interesting. here it is the translation of the right column. i'll go on later

later edit: this is the full interview:

-------------------------------------
I’M A ONE-BAND MAN  ~ (Interview by Rafa López. Published on ‘Visado’, El Faro de Vigo’s weekly magazine)

Taking the phrase from his new album's title, “Light + Shade”, it could be said that Mike Oldfield’s career has had more shades than lights in recent years. His insistent releases of Tubular Bells sequels, his marriage of convenience with chill out and his move away from stages have put him aside, although he still keeps a noticeable legion of fans with an unshakeable faith on his geniality as music composer.

He’s never liked the chill out label, so characteristic of Ibiza, where he lives from time to time; and when he’s reminded how his music set a precedent  for this genre, he says ironically “Richard Branson sold ‘Tubular Bells’ to a record company to make money instead of playing it in supermarkets and airports, but it was an accident –he jokes- It’s got some parts which can be described as chill out, but some others  are hard rock, Celtic music and distorted sounds.”

He maintains that, just like there are specialized magazines and TV programmes, we choose music to be entertained or relaxed. “Light + Shade” may have not been the right album in the 70s -he admits- but it is nowadays. It represents two among the many possible moods”.

Thanks to computers, Mike Oldfield can do without an entourage working in the studio: technicians, producers, session musicians, engineers… “That’s interesting to me -Oldfield highlights-. I am a one-band man".

----------------------------------------

The fans of Tubular Bells aren't here anymore. (Right column)
Mike Oldfield has got pleasant memories of his collaboration with Luar na lubre."They are great musicians -he states-. I've always liked Celtic music, I’m half Irish. There are songs in Light + Shade with a big bagpipes orchestra. I love that sound".

-How do you recommend listening to your music?
-This album is very ambient; you can listen to it with headphones, in a hi-fi system or a small one, leaving the music in the background. It's designed with this purpose.

-All the tracks are instrumental. And since "Moonlight Shadow", sung by Maggie Reilly, your songs haven't reached the hits lists. Isn't it hard to get a hit with an instrumental album?
-Yes, it's very difficult. However, I don't compose music to reach the lists but for my own pleasure. I’m lucky that my music is popular and provides me a good life, but this is incidental.

-Do you still panic in front of the stage?
-It’s very stressful. I mean concerts like the one for the Millennium in Berlin. The time I spend on stage is wonderful, it’s the preparation what makes me stressed. I hope to work with some kind of organization to look after the preparations.

-Are there new fans coming?
-My experience is that the fans of Tubular Bells are gone since long ago and there are new fans coming up.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2005, 12:55

Check out the scan of the article here(in spanish)  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2005, 04:37

i've completed the translation of the interview and edited it on the first post. i hope u enjoy it.

(edit: alan, thanks for your suggestions :-)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2005, 05:28

No thanks necessary María. I hardly did anything! But thanks to you for this translation.

Isn't it interesting that he sees fans of Tubular Bells as 'long gone'?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2005, 06:24

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 30 2005, 06:28)
Isn't it interesting that he sees fans of Tubular Bells as 'long gone'?

From that, I got the idea that his older fans don't like much  what he's doing musically nowadays.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since Oct. 29 2005, 11:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net