Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Another idea for the project, I think original enough:)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ZIPPIE Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 07 2000, 10:11

Hello all (Mike if it reads especially),

Has anyone here played Elite or Frontier or First Encounters. I have a similar idea for a virtual world.

It should be delivered as a CD or some similar media. Maybe objects downloaded via Net. There would be two types of installers for the project or game or virtual world or whatever.

Type 1: Client install - meaning a separate person or a spaceship (as in Elite)

Type 2: Server install - meaning a room or a spacestation - static objects (again as in Elite).

There would have to be bots like in the real game which would occupy the virtual world, like the evil Targoids, who attack people and take their ships and stuff, but also all these Clients and Servers could use internet or other type of network to connect between eachother, and not only online, but also offline, or semi-online. Not everyone is connected to the Net all the time.

That way it will be an inhabited world with thousands of people.

Also there have to be large scale database servers, used in a analogic way but paralleled to the DNS server system used to locate other people, or static objects in space.

Something like Elite or RPGames but not just with computer controlled characters but real people too. Some of the Targoids could be real people, intelligent, unlike the ones in the original game.

Everyone would buy an installer CD or CD-pack with different designs (there could literally be thousands of them on a CD). Plus lot's of music and sounds.

Mike or anyone could make some of those songs or passages thru different sequences of the life. Like station music, bulletins, etc etc etc.

It could be developped as a parallel Internet smile I think this would be extremely interesting.

I'd die to play this smile

That's where the commercial side of it lies. Millions of people enjoyed the Elite series.
I thought millions would enjoy spending a few years playing or "living" this kind of stuff. I'm sure!

This project should not be like all those multimedia CDs we all have. Click there play some video or sound and some narrative in the background. NOT! PLEASE! No point in doing such thing, especially that's boring after the first few minutes.

+ I'd like to join any aspect of such kind of project. Be it audio or video design or programming or advertising it to friends smile

OK, I could elaborate more and more, I have several ideas how to make it, but it's a huge project and it can't be all written here.

Z|PP|E
(zippie@mindless.com)

p.s. The Doge's Palace is one of the best songs ever smile
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 07 2000, 11:11

Great. I hope Mike read your message, ZIPPIE. I've never played Elite. I heard there are some terrific role-playing games on Internet. You pay each month a subscription, and you can play in a virtual world they expand each month, by adding new missions, treasures, etc. I wish Mike's project to be much more artistic, and less interactive than role playing games - although I wish it is interactive - but we don't need life points, strength points, etc. - I would prefer something like Myst or Riven with Internet.
Profile PM 
ZIPPIE Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 07 2000, 14:18

Well seems like I have to describe the Elite series games a bit more.

The story is like this: you are a rookie spaceship commander who has just bought a small ship. He's docked at the station somewhere in the galaxy (which is divided among corporates, empires, aliens, etc). The game is consisted of several things:

- travelling from place to place for which you gotta have fuel and ship and be alive smile
- buying stuff and selling it more expensive
- mining asteroids
- doing mercenary missions
- pirating
- exploring space

You see lot's of things you can do. And you can choose at any moment if and what you are going to do, where are you going. There is no limit. If you want you can start shooting around like a lunatic and get distroyed by the police.

As you "live" in that world, from time to time there are some missions to accomplish and you get rewarded with that with higher ranks. For example after finishing NN missions you were promoted or such things.

Of course among all the normal missions there are some special missions, some hidden missions and secrets you'll have to find out.

There are Bulletins which you can read and get to know what's happening.

------

I like this idea, because you can play it the way you want. Agressive, violent, peaceful, pedanteric, etc. Either way you can accomplish something. And it's not just brainwashing.

And my idea was that everyone starting this game would be a person in that virtual world, plus there can be robots to make it more full of persons.

Also there could be some server type objects that could act like Deep Space Stations - where you can land and rest and enjoy yourself, or if it's in anarchy territory - get robbed. Those stations could also be run by people and also could be automated.

OK Enough for now smile
Profile PM WEB 
2 replies since Feb. 07 2000, 10:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net