Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Another Brick In The Wall, Is your community cohesive?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 419 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 19:55

How cohesive is your community? It seems people are becoming more insular and selfish these days. How do you deal with inverted snooty neighbours? I am stuck between four extremely clicky neighbours. They only speak when wanting gossip or to see who comes to my home, but I could drop dead and they wouldn't give a shit. I have been there for them for 8 years and am so sick of it I feel like moving. Never ever been invited to bbqs etc. But they have all been through my home! Jimbo any advice? Iv got to the stage where I dread getting up and opening the blinds, its like living in a zoo! Im flaming, really flaming!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 21:47

The answer is simple. Every night, tune into Neighbours on the TV, turn up the volume full blast, and open your window!

My neighbours are OK - I'm on nodding terms with some of them.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 02:26

Well, we live in 2 different universes. I'm a caucasion man surrounded by neighbors who only speak spanish(mexicans). I've been told by a former significant other(a mexican although from a "prestigous" gene pool), that your typical mexican hates white poeple, so I am very isolated. They, on the other hand, know I can't stand them. Case in point: I drove home with Eddy last night moderately late at night(11PM). As usual I said "jump on down" to Eddy after the car was parked. He jumped down(me holding his leash) but I noticed a small shadow next to him, a black dog about 30 lb. was right there next to him. He snarled and got very agitated. I dropped my 2 liter bottle of diet coke(in a bag with other goods) on the asphalt pulling him back. I yelled loudly "GET THE FUCK BACK" several times at the black dog for all to hear. I made another cursing reference to calling the animal control people. Apt. complex rules stipulate all dogs must be on a leash. This particular dog has been up me and Eddy's ass several times. I'll be walking Eddy and the SOB comes out of nowhere. Eddy in mid-shit. Eddy aborts said endeavor due to distraction. My neighbors have heard me cuss(oh I'm good at cussing-I learned from a master at it, my father who was a prick and ruined my life-he used to say the most unique things. He'd be under a Jaguar XKE trying to put in a new muffler....."GODAMN I FEEL LIKE A FLEA ON A DOG'S PRICK) and I suppose these spicks think I'm a mad gringo. Spick? Don't bitch. I'm sure they have called me worse. I'm surprised I've never had a brick thrown thru my window. But then the people who run this Apt. complex are all mexican. I'm outnumbered 700 to 1. Hence I'm excited about leaving here. But there is no escape. This is not intended to be racist, only empirical DATA. A statistic was released a couple of years ago. 50% of Austin's population 18 and under are now hispanic. So what will be the statistic in 2015?? 50% of 27 year olds and under? You see my frustration? On the news, every crime, every mugshot of a child abuser, robber, etc, is hispanic. WTF? They have over-breeded everyone else.
    See, different worlds. It sounds to me like I would LOVE to live next to you. Yes, I want to come there. To stay forever. Or England. Again, not racism, but the caucasion is becoming a dinosaur here, unless you stick to a cohesive Baptist ministry church in a nice suberb(I'm not into religion period). I guess this is more than you wanted to hear, but it is why this is not conducive to my musical endeavors. Austin is a music capital of the world, but you need to be in the right place.
    My last.......let's resolve that sad minor scale piece with a happy major chord at the end........I'm moving soon. Nice place. Eddy can take a dump happily, and it's a $100 fine if you dont pick up the shite. I like that. My major chord. This composition is resolved. I still want to be where you are. Have you ever BBQ'ed beef skirt steak? Oh I would be a good neighbor! You then put the cut up "fajitas" in a hot flour tortilla and add sour cream, cheese, salsa.....Oh boy!

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 05:30

Hi Nightspore that idea is tempting but they wouldn't hear it! Too busy getting pissed in their Mc Mansions spending their golden parachutes! And parking their cars over the driveway! @Jimbo please get yourself over here! Bbqs, Tortillas and Prime Beef with salad! I don't have a man living in my home and I suppose being on my own mostly Im invisible! Hope you and Eddy are happy when you move from little Mexico! It must be hell at the moment! Lastly my neighbours only got snotty when I went back to Uni, worked my ass off to get the career I have now, whilst they are retired mostly.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 21 2010, 22:46

I feel your pain, My wife and I are surrounded by geriatrics on all sides in the 8 years we have lived here i've had to call an ambulance for them 5 times . One has even managed to burn down there unit, the drunks at the front fall through there windows .Just this friday had to call the ambos again for our newest tenant (79 yr old) .But there mostly deaf so i get no complaints about my loud music.
Were we live water restrictions are in place but these old sods flout them on a daily basis.
But this sounds like heaven compared to Scatterplots plight
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 01:49

I have read Jim's post again and truly I am nearly p... Myself I am laughing so hard! Thank heaven's for his sense of humour!                      @Milamber its bloody tragic isn't it? Not a dull moment for you either. Bet you have 000 on speed dial! I had to laugh this morning. The neighbours who recently sold their mum's unit and put her in a nursing home 200 km away were brawling....again! Money isn't making them happier. And they drink so much. Their bin is alongside my fence near the lounge room. They throw bottles noisily 5 times a night! And fight next day. Thank God I get to go to work every day! Looking forward to a hopefully quiet night.      Nightspore I might put the Sex Pistols on if it gets too hairy! Pity my daughter isnt here with her moog and amp. That used to fetch em and she wasnt shy about telling them to p...off!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 02:28

My family doesn't have neighbours any more. Just the birds, the boars and the occasional ghost. Nearest "neighbour" is a 20 minute walk away into the forest. The feeling is awesome!
I have lived in many places, both "blocks" and houses and I've never really gelled with the neighbours. There's been some chit-chat over the fences and in the hallways, but it seems people either want to be best buddies or switch into hostile mode and stop stop talking alltogether. If it's me or them that's the problem I don't know. Perhaps that's a philosophical question. It is irritating when there is some kind of neighbourhood community (BBQs etc) and you don't get invited. It hurts even though you know they're dicks. Problem is you can't change them, you can only change yourself and your own situation. I would consider moving if possible, but hell that's a lot of trouble to go through also...
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 05:27

Hi Lars, I have a lovely home, beach 100 metres down the hill and river and mountain views, so I will stick it out. I do work in the community as a volunteer as well as my job and have friends through this. Its nice to go horse riding with pals too! Im lucky to live in a lovely area and would be crazy to leave. Others like Jim, Milamber and other tubes probably have it much worse than me.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 06:44

Quote (ex member 419 @ Feb. 22 2010, 05:27)
Its nice to go horse riding with pals too!

Would you rather do that or fly through space?  :D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 08:21

The worst mean-spirited neighbours I ever lived next door to were doctors, and so called 'pillars' of society. The lesson I learnt was don't assume that nice people live in pretty villages, the evidence showed me that they can attract the narcissists. Now I could only live in salt of the earth neighbourhoods everytime, around 'real people, though not so real that they're uncivilised like Jim's neighbours. Living around hostile people can be very depressing though, but I don't think it's a class distinction thing.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 08:35

We live in a post war council estate,although we actauly bought the property about six years ago.Moved in roughly ten years ago I think,but I was already close friends with the guy who lives two doors down from us so that was a good start.We`re pretty lucky I guess.We`re in the middle house of a block of three and we get on well with both sets of neighbours.We even built a gate in the fence with one neighbour to make it easier to go from one house to another.I`d say we`re on speaking/friendly terms with at least a dozen families in the street,possibly more.And even the ones I don`t know quite so well, will at least say good morning/hello/I think it`s gonna piss down etc.

It can get a bit rough sometimes and there`s the odd nutcase family here and there.There was a great fight in the street last year that involved hammers,bricks and all kinds of improvised weaponry.But I have to say even the psycho families have always been alright with me.Not the sort of place you`d want to live if you want round the clock privacy so you could "knock one out" in the drawing room or whatever.But it suits us very well.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 08:56

The building i live in is ok but the walls are thin.My immediate neigbour's cool although she and her girlfriend occasionally have almighty rows and shout at the telly when the footy's on!The guys upstairs are the ones that really piss me off.I'm kind of quiet and don't have my music on very loud as i live by the "do unto others" maxim (not at all bad for a decidedly non christian) but the buggers upstairs make a helluva row.Not sure what they do but it sounds like they're racing from one side of their living room to the other!
 Last week i heard his car screech into the car park and then i think he hit one of the bins,slamed the front door and thumped upstairs and then they started.I'm pretty sure they weren't at it unless they were doing something that involves giant leaps across a room (the mind fairly boggles if they were!Yogic flying tantric sex?)and then the screecjing started.Even the pair of owls we have living outside stopped hooting!
Oh to live somewhere nice and quiet like some remote part of Salisbury Plain.
 Still not as bad as Jim's place though.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 11:38

Ah Caveman,I see your immediate neighbours share something in common with our neighbours.They moved in a couple of years ago,and my wife just naturaly assumed they were sisters.. "Earth calling planet naivety,..come in planet naivety" They`re very friendly though,plus I`ve never heard them rowing and shouting at the football etc.There`s plenty of that goes on in this house though to make up for it.

Anyway we`re a little blinkered up here you know,so we kind of feel a little bit more "Cosmopolitan" and "with it" now I guess.Although the fact that I suddenly felt compelled to post this information on a message board,would suggest that we`re not quite there yet.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 12:25

Lol.I kind of figured it out before she told me.Couldn't give a sh*t anyway.It's the 21stC after all.It's the person and how they are rather than their sexual orientaton that i care about!
They are moving to a house a couple of doors away from my sister and her husband and kid and a few doors from my parents in a rather conservative area next month.Could be a giggle there then."oh we have new neigbours....2 girls....you don't think they could be.....you know...." "oh not around here dear,certainly not!" :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2010, 21:00

Have to laugh eh? We all have peculiarities we strive to live with! Eccentric retired profs, retired bank managers  and the plain weird or odd! Huge homes too close to one another cause problems. I suppose to I am still working in a street where there are more folk retiring. The retired Police Commissioner and several high ranking ex police are no problem. Nice folk who keep to themselves but always say hi or wave. The only neighbours I have problems putting up with are the retired bank manager and his shrill voiced wife. She broadcasts loudly in her backyard things better kept private, and the drinking! Wish they would go on holiday, a week would be good. @Nightspore I do love horse riding, open spaces, freedom! I can't fly through space much as I wish I could! Can't afford a seat on Sir Richard's space flight but it would be an experience.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2010, 11:30

I do need to give this place one credit before I leave. It was fairly quiet. As a night shift worker I sleep in the day. I've not had many noises wake me in the last year. However I anesthetize myself(not like M. Jackson who killed himself stupidly with a surgery anesthetic...and the Dr. who stupidly gave it, but MJ could have said "no", it was a mutual stupidity).....I come home and have 2 bourbon and diet cokes. This deadens me to outside irritation. Eddy curled up next to me is another anesthetic. Never let it be said only cats provide a sedative effect with purring, etc. The right dog(I think Eddy is above human) can give super good "vibes".

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
15 replies since Feb. 20 2010, 19:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net