Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Another AC Clark book,film and album?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MO fan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 30 2002, 15:06

Well, we have enjoyed Mikes wonderfull music rendition of Authur C Clarks book 'The songs of distant earth'

Well right now another one of AC Clarks famous books..
'Rendezvous with Rama' is in the pipeline to be made into a film for a release date by the end of 2003 or early 2004.

The fim going by the web site will have great computer graphic digital backgrounds and 'aliens' to justify the story of  the massive cylindrical alien spaceship 'Rama'

See web site..... www.rendezvouswithrama.com

Could this be another great musical project for Mike Oldfield?

Cheers, MO fan :D
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 30 2002, 16:05

Word has it that Mike's been contacted about music for a new prequel to The Exorcist. Expect nothing until it happens, though...

He still doesn't seem massively keen on the idea of film music in general, though.

Rendezvous with Rama could be a good one for him, if he fancies going back into sci fi mode for a while (shouldn't be too hard...). I can imagine they'd be after some quite big sounding music for it (which is more Vangelis territory actually, though I don't doubt that Mike could do it). It miht all depend, of course, on whether the film actually turns out any good in the end...
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2002, 01:14

Most of Tres Lunas does seem to be a sort of sci fi music: I think that Mike doing a soundtrack to another Arthur C. Clark movie would be good. It could be like TSODE II, and I'm sure a lot of people would love to see that happen. I've never actually read the book, but we do have it (I saw it quite a lot when I was looking through the bookshelves to find Songs of Distant Earth) so I should read it sometime. I have heard the book was quite popular or groudbreaking in some way, so it should be a good movie.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 31 2002, 04:35

I certainly enjoyed reading the book, and there's potential for a good film in there. They could equally just destroy it and turn it into another forgettable Hollywood film...a really involving and intriguing soundtrack instead of a load of old movie score clichés could help, though.
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2003, 03:10

It might be nice to see Mike do the music for the movie... However, Rendezvous with Rama is cartainly not one of my favourite Clarke books, so I'm a bit surprised they'd make a movie out of it. It's actually one of the few books ever that I almost didn't finish. I read over a half of it, got tired, didn't read it for almost two years and then finally finished it. I don't really think it has movie potential, but that naturally depends on how well it'll be done.
Profile PM WEB 
Fingers Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 11:23

Try reading the whole Rama series. (Rendezvous with Rama is almost background reading for the main story.) Fantastic.

The film rights to Songs Of Distant Earth have apparently been optioned. I believe i read that in the foreward to one of ACC's books. I'll need to check.
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: April 22 2003, 11:29

(off topic to start with...) but the Rendezvous With Rama site mentioned above now shows "The Rama Chronicles", a three film series, presumably taking in all 4 novels! I'm intrigued as to how they're going to all star Morgan Freeman, given that the main character of the last three novels is female, and a lot of it is written in almost first person!

Anyway, back on to topic...

What an opportunity for MO to revisit his film score days combined with a topic and author he has already taken inspiration from. There's no reason to think MO's involved, but how fantastic would that be!? Go on MO - get on the phone to them!
Profile PM 
6 replies since Dec. 30 2002, 15:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net