Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Animus and Prophecy, Piano melody< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Chicular Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 18 2008, 11:32

Is the Piano melody from Prophecy the same as the one on Animus but slowed down?
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2008, 13:24

I would say yes.  It seems to me to be a simple reiteration of the basic theme, the difference being the keys they are in, and variations of the arpeggios filling in the overlaid melody.

MO is certainly enviro-friendly as a composer, isn't he?  "Reduce.  Reuse.  Recycle."

:laugh:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2008, 18:52

Old Michael G. loves repeating stuff. He always did, from the very start. And then Animus is the second track of (what is supposed to be) MotS Part One, Prophecy is the second track of (what is supposed to be) MotS Part Two. It's a perfectly Oldfieldian way of linking the two parts, and I really appreciate it. He hadn't done this since Incantations... :D

However, I wouldn't really say that MotS has a 'main theme' meant in a conventional way, i.e. like the main theme in a movie score (and I've repeatedly stated that some of MotS sounds like a movie score to me). If we were to find a 'main theme' in MotS, it would be the presence of that TB-esque figure that's launched by Harbinger, together with the fact that TB (1973) is referenced throughout MotS, up to the very end of it. I think that's the only unifying musical theme of the work.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2008, 23:50

I didn't mean "main theme" as pertaining to the entire piece.  I meant as referring only to those two particular tracks.  They share a basic chord structure.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2008, 05:33

Quote (Bassman @ Sep. 19 2008, 05:50)
I didn't mean "main theme" as pertaining to the entire piece.  I meant as referring only to those two particular tracks.  They share a basic chord structure.

Ah, OK. Well, of course they do. :) As I said above, it's very typical of Mr. Oldfield.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2008, 09:00

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 18 2008, 18:52)
If we were to find a 'main theme' in MotS, it would be the presence of that TB-esque figure [...] I think that's the only unifying musical theme of the work.

?????????????

50% of the material is based on Shabda
Profile PM 
5 replies since Sep. 18 2008, 11:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net