Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Anecdote I just remembered about "evil" Tubular Be< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Drealm Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 14 2012, 04:25

Yeah, I just recalled this little story.

I was in some kind of party when this lesbian girl began to express her feelings about Tubular Bells (I don't remember how it began).

She was saying that this music is evil, obviously based on the movie exorcist. She was very serious about it, she did not wanted to hear a single note, saying that the music was made with some kind of subliminal evil. This seemed very intense and obvious for her: this was music of the devil.

On the spot, I thought she was a freak. And I still think that!

I think that my point here is that some people are easily influenced by the medias and that it is sad. This girl is totally missing the point of Mike's music and I see it as a very big prejudice. I think "poor her; she will never have the good feeling of Mike Oldfield's work".

At least if she would enjoy it as a "horror movie soundtrack", I would understand. But stating seriously that Tubular Bells is evil...

Did anyone here experienced similar freakishness about Mike's music? I'm just curious...
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2012, 14:43

I've never experienced such an extreme reaction. That's such a shame. The lady needs therapy!

The usual responses I get are either "Oh you mean the Exorcist?" or the indifferent "...Mike Oldfield....Oh yeah.....zzzzzzz"    :/

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Sweep Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2012, 06:49

She could have had mental health issues, as Brad said - or she could have been on drugs. She could simply have been stupid, though that sounds less likely in this case.

Still, for every one like her (and are there any others like her, or just her?) there are thousands who discovered Tubular Bells through The Exorcist and the publicity it generated. I'm personally glad I don't have that association, though.

--------------
Website@: http://www.musicbysweep.com
Twitter: sweep1

Bradnor Hill (in memory of David Bedford): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeATjaMCgA
Profile PM WEB 
sikejsudjek Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2012, 17:35

As it was written before the exorcist and not written with a horror movie in mind, that was a bit of a daft thing for her to say. I guess when something gets associated with a movie or advert it sticks in peoples minds.

The film was not based on a true story at all. When investigated it turned out to be massively embellished by a journalist to sell a book.

Its a great theme, mathematically complex, and inspiring. Not evil at all IMO !
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2012, 19:44

When I first got TB1 in 1973 there was some buzz on FM radio and one freind who owned it, that it might be "cursed" or "evil" since it was chosen to be in a flick that at that time was controversial and had veiwers puking in the theaters. My reply was, "Well you know, this guy probably recorded it first, then some movie director heard it and used part of it." Back then, there were rumors MO was a bald old man.....among others. It was a strange time until he finally put his picture on a later album.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2012, 18:00

I firmly believe that music itself is neither good nor evil. Music becomes good or evil according to how it's used, or to the context it's used in. Of course the TB-Exorcist association may be a key determinating factor in the perception of TB as "evil music", but on my own side I think that the very concept of evil music is simply ridiculous. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2012, 21:05

"Good" and "evil" are probably too abstract and metaphysical to be used in discussions of music, which, after all, is about creating precise concrete effects. Sudden, jumpy sounds tend to startle us, which is why they're used in horror films - but such music is "evil" only if it's evil to startle people!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 17 2012, 21:24

I fail to see not only how Tubular Bells could be "evil", but also how The Exorcist itself can be "evil". It's an amazing movie! Now Twilight? THAT is evil.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 17 2012, 23:21

"out demon out" in TB3
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2012, 16:10

Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 18 2012, 04:21)
"out demon out" in TB3

I hope I'm not wandering slightly off topic Olivier, but you've just reminded me of the Edgar Broughton Band song 'Out Demons Out'. Mike later played mandolin for them on 'Thinking Of You', and Steve Broughton returned the favour by playing drums for Mike at the Queen Elizabeth Concert Hall TB gig.

Curious! :)

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2012, 20:34

Whenever I come across the word "demon" I think of the "daemons" you get in Unix network programming. If you adopt a Berkeleyan view of reality, the parallel becomes startingly close!
Profile PM 
10 replies since Feb. 14 2012, 04:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net