Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: an opinion of a fan< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
henry cow Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 07:50

This is my opinion, i am a fan of mike oldfields work.

This is not a bad album. Mike has worked hard on it. For the style mike has moved into this is perfectly excecuted. NO QUESTION

However, it is the style that bothers me and - having read other posts - many other fans. Countless times i have read 'i would like mike to play real instruments, again' style posts.
Frankly, this is not the same music as the mike oldfield i love that inspired dreams, that frightened me, that got the adrenaline going, that MOVED me - guys im sure you know what i mean.
Like i say, its not a bad album, i could listen to it, im listening to it now infact. Good. but yet.... SO DULL SO PREDICTABLE SO AIRBRUSHED SO MEANINGLESS

Im not calling for mike to change style, he seems happy in his curious niave way to make records like this and good for him. Mike i wish you the best. I hope the records do well. Your my musical hero, you inspired me to play guitar, to write music.

Perhaps, maby because im getting older, maby because i listened to albums like TB Ommadawn Hergest ridge Incantations while i matured and now have moved on - as a fan of Mike - 'Light and Shade' bieng exactly what i expected, im no longer interested in mike or what he produces.

My thoughts.
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 10:03

Perhaps if Mike come up with another Ommadawn or Hergest Ridge people would say he,s just standing still ,and it sounds the same.At least this way he is trying something new,and not useing the same old tried and trusted routine.Perhaps we,ve all matured and moved on as well,so some will stay and some like you will go. :/
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 05:24

Does anyone remember the "Term" Progressive Rock  !!
Ive always had the Impression MO Albums in some way
try to move the "Game" forward... I couldnt personally
bear the thought of Backtracking to the early 70s.. What
sort of Message does that send out ... Ok a lot of Die
hard MO fans arent trance or Dance fans.. But I think
with this Album Mikes tried to please everyone a little
as well as being experimental.... ie must be 1 of the 1st
Major artists to employ Vocaloids,,, In a few Years all
the others will be getting into it as well I guess !! Applauad
Mike for trying something New   Look Forward !! :D
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 05:44

Personally, I do not understand what could be considered new about this album. Some of it is Tres lunas, some old classical melodies and the rest is badly done trance. :/

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 06:01

Quote (CuNimb @ Oct. 03 2005, 05:44)
Personally, I do not understand what could be considered new about this album. Some of it is Tres lunas, some old classical melodies and the rest is badly done trance. :/

Nah, only Romance is badly made trance. The other two are quite good, and Lakme is a nice little detail - not serious.
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 07:59

Quote (hergest fridge @ Oct. 02 2005, 10:03)
Perhaps if Mike come up with another Ommadawn or Hergest Ridge people would say he,s just standing still ,and it sounds the same.At least this way he is trying something new,and not useing the same old tried and trusted routine.Perhaps we,ve all matured and moved on as well,so some will stay and some like you will go. :/

"New" imho it's not only using new technologies, but new MUSIC. And it can be done in the style of Ommadawn, or TSODE, or Voyager, or Amarok, or Five Miles Out (my favorites along with TB II).

I've heard only the demos till now (I'm going to buy the album soon), and if the impressions the demos gave me will remain the same with the full album, I must admit that Mike (one of my favourite artist ever) has lost his inspiration.

"Old", recycled, uninspired music.

And we know that Mike can be the most wonderful alchemist of the sounds... he teach all the world how to write folk-prog and combine old-fashioned beautiful folk themes, acoustic and electric guitars, with prog music and both acoustic and electronic instruments; spreading is genious in themes and accompainments that no one else can write.

This L-S for what I've heard can be done easily from other people... Mike is more.

Sorry to be so cruel, but it's beacuse I love all Mike music (except "earth moving"), till "Guitars" (included), but not beyond this.

bye
Andrea
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 13:53

I also think that Millenium Bell, Tres Lunas & L&S are my least favourite Oldfield albums, but I cannot bring myself to say that 'he's lost it' or something like that.

I always keep hoping for that next album that will surely grab me on an emotional level again, like Guitars (one of my favourites) and the other albums before that. Maybe wishful thinking, but I'm sure he'll get rid of all the unwanted electronics soon.  :D  
Remember: after Earth Moving came Amarok and after Distant Earth came Voyager (not that I think TSODE is a bad album, it is indeed my favourite), but just to point out that he made acoustic sounding albums after electronic sounding albums before. So that could happen again. Hope this makes sense :cool:
Greetings, Runaway son from Holland!

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Jools Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 15:54

Provided the music that Mike composes follows in his tradition of great melodies, diverse tempos and rhythms, dynamics, structural integrity and great musicianship and feeling, I don't think there could be justifiable accusation of Mike standing still if he returned to the style of, for example Hergest Ridge. Innovation for innovation's sake doesn't equal great music.

The innovation, "newness" and "freshness" is in the notes and musical ideas - that's where it all begins.

It's a quality issue and there's some high quality stuff on L+S and some dross. Simple as that.
Profile PM 
7 replies since Oct. 02 2005, 07:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net