Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amazon review of MoTS, Have you reviewed it yet?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Marky Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 11:18

Amazon currently has 55 reviews. Most of them are very complimentary. Its got 4 stars out of 5 on average, but there's no doubt its right up there for most of us. My review is below, not yet posted.

Mike Oldfield is perhaps the most homeless musician of the past 40 years. Always falling between classifications, and adept as changing direction and style, Oldfield’s reviews have confounded the hard of understanding and challenged those who are used to music in nicely defined boxes. Not quite classical, not quite rock, not quite folk, not quite pop, not really new age or chill and not always instrumental. No wonder his music is under exposed when the commercial medium demands a label and a marketing channel.

This, however, is the price of individuality, and it’s a rare and cherished commodity. Oldfield is stubbornly individualistic, not always in his own best interests but one had to admire him for that – and for this, his first work conceived as classical in nature.

Music of the Spheres is a captivating and impressive suite. It has deliberate echoes of Tubular Bells One and Tubular Bells Two. But it exceeds either and repeats neither. Oldfield merely adopts a couple of themes into a fresh and vibrant – even lush – musical arena. His classical guitar is at its most beautiful and touching. The choral contributions have overtones of Morricone. Harbinger is the powerful adaptation of the main Tubular theme, and it is playfully explored.

The piano work is magical throughout and the music is seamless. The brass contribution to The Tempest really lifts the music and it is all splendidly listenable. On My Heart, with Hayley Westenra is a touching mood piece that could have been an interlude but is incorporated without detracting from the flow. These big albums bring the best out of Oldfield. He works well with a grand scale – Aurora and Prophecy show his adroitness in deploying the full majesty of the orchestra and equally, his comfort in switching to quiet, subtle, and simple passages.

Oldfield’s early works were criticised by some classical musicians as lacking the completeness of structure consistent with the true classical musicians. Oldfield is not a true classical musician – he has collaborated with Karl Jenkins – with great success – in translating this work. But this album is a true classical work, and it certainly avoids that criticism as the structure is immaculate. Oldfield has developed a lot as a composer than he was aged early 20s when those reviews were written. Even then, it was clear his gift for melody and his range made some feel threatened by his ability to cut straight through genres and redefine them.

The second half of this music has some eastern touches and a clever use of percussion – a feature of many of Oldfield’s earliest works. Musica Univeralis sounds to me, as a long-term admirer of his music, like the coming together of a life’s work. It is always beautiful, always moving, relaxed, epic, grant, impressive and always Mike Oldfield. It is a triumph. No wonder the composer says he is pleased.

So if you like classical music, listen, you will find it hard not to appreciate this. And if you have listened, and wonder what next to try of Oldfield’s immense back catalogue, try Hergest Ridge, Incantations or the Killing Fields. They are the next closest in nature, and directly, the twelve minute opus called Mont St Michel on the Celtic album Voyager.

And as to being homeless: one feels that if the classical fraternity is not overwhelmingly icy, and there is no reason for that, then the success of this piece should encourage Mike Oldfield to feel that he need never again want of a home in the musical fraternity. All he has to do now is call it that.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 15:23

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your well written review Marky and feel it will intrigue those who are introduced to Mike via Music of the Spheres. All good...this is what Mike deserves..respect amongst serious music listeners.

The only thing I personally feel is that he can never ever be pigeonholed as to style, and I wonder if he's actually looking to de so defined anyway. I've always found that to be one of the most attractive features of his work, each piece so different, though with those unmistakable Oldfield characteristics.

And what you said about the big albums bringing out the best of Oldfield, is so true, I think few would disagree with this. His music needs space to take the listener on it's mystical journey.

I would write a review but I think I would come across a little too enthusiastic, I love it so much!! :p

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 20:24

Yes you're right he can't be pidgeonholed...unless he goes in the same direction for long enough. He has a chance to now, perhaps if he wants to. But with Mike we know that whatever we read, whatever he says, he's likely to change his mind and surprise us - maybe this will be his retirement work. Maybe he'll produce a real turkey next time. Maybe, however, he'll hit the bullseye again with a classical original. Its so hard to say. That's something few others can say of their musical favourites. We on this tubular.net have to admire him for this, for if we don't, perhaps we don't understand him. I think most of us do. But for those who think he went miles off with Earth Moving or has missed the mark with this one, it does mean swallowing your regrets (not your opinions) and accepting he does it his way. That will be and always has been his way. I know that's exactly what you mean Bee, I'm just agreeing with you in a very long-winded way!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 21:00

Quote (bee @ Mar. 21 2008, 17:23)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your well written review Marky and feel it will intrigue those who are introduced to Mike via Music of the Spheres. All good...this is what Mike deserves..respect amongst serious music listeners.

The only thing I personally feel is that he can never ever be pigeonholed as to style, and I wonder if he's actually looking to de so defined anyway. I've always found that to be one of the most attractive features of his work, each piece so different, though with those unmistakable Oldfield characteristics.

Great job Marky,a great review.Mike is so underrated,both as a composer as well as a musician,he deserves much more.I do hope that classical fans see him differently like the way they did with Paul McCartney,Sting and Tony Banks who have the chance to create classical pieces,regarding to MOTS.

I've caught myself thinking about if some of his classic albums were classical pieces,the effects that it would have done in music,people reconizing his amazing compositional side,with all the elements we do know quite well.

His music is so unique and it's hard to label it.Once I've read that he deserved his own style - Oldfield Progressive - but why do people need to label things? That makes you so narrow-minded! With Mike Oldfield,you've got to be open-minded to enjoy each one of his albums,each album is a different musical experience.

Like Bee,I do love this mix of styles you can find on his career with his unmistakable Mike Oldfieldish trademark.Even on the pop/trance/chill out tunes,it's Mike Oldfield there,there's "something else" the other tunes from those styles don't have! And that "something else" has made the whole difference for many people,like me who do love his work!

The more I listen to MOTS,the more I'm 100% sure how great Mike's composer side is.Just perfect to me.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 04:21

Brilliant review Marky - thanks.

Btw, Mike Oldfield's music pigeon-holes really snugly into the category of Mike Oldfield music. It's quite an exclusive genre, but includes some very classy material.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 05:05

Has anyone noticed the MOTS review on allmusic.com? 4 stars! I don't think they've ever been so positive about one of Mike's albums.

I really am glad that MOTS has been received quite positively. All of Mike'snew releases that I had previously experienced (Tres Lunas onwards) have had a fairly major negative response from many people. It's nice to see a mostly positive response for a change. Now I just have to wait for my copy to come from Amazon!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 00:38

Quote (raven4x4x @ Mar. 22 2008, 05:05)
Has anyone noticed the MOTS review on allmusic.com? 4 stars! I don't think they've ever been so positive about one of Mike's albums.

I really am glad that MOTS has been received quite positively. All of Mike'snew releases that I had previously experienced (Tres Lunas onwards) have had a fairly major negative response from many people. It's nice to see a mostly positive response for a change. Now I just have to wait for my copy to come from Amazon!

I recall they gave TB 5 stars, but you are right, apart from that they have been pretty negative overall.  Great to see this one got 4.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 02:17

These web sites should really stop this Similar Artists thing, it's ridiculous. Some are not even similar to themselves.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 02:54

Quote (raven4x4x @ Mar. 22 2008, 05:05)

I hadn't, so thanks for pointing it out, raven4x4x. I am surprised by their laudation of MOTS, since so many of MO's albums have been given criminally low ratings. I mean, only two stars for Songs of Distant Earth?? I sometimes use allmusic as a source of factual info, but I've often found their reviews unreliable.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 03:47

Well, I changed my mind about MOTS. I made remarks earlier that I liked it and it was far superior to Light+Shade. Last night I gave it the headphone treatment and listened to it in it's entirety. If I left a review on any site it would be: It's BRILLIANT. That's my word for it so quote that all you want. The guitar parts are very sweet, classy, Hergest Ridge-ish. The acoustic guitar sounds like the same guitar, mic'd the same way with same effects(some medium hall reverb) on the same day as many other albums of years past. Someone once loaned me a Philip Glass LP around 1987. Said, "Jim, this is 20th century classical, you might like it." I was mildly amused, but it couldn't hold a candle to *most of* MO's works. MOTS, if you want to call it "21st century classical" will be one of the earliest pieces of the "21st century classical" genre/label. I think it's history, I think it will be discussed, dissected and analyzed for years to come. I'm sure there are those with Doctor's degrees in music dissecting it as we speak. I can only think that they are pleased and very interested in this recording. I think the recording is as good as could ever be acheived with an orchestra. It's so good, it sounds like every instrument was individually mic'd, but of course they weren't. Not one single bum note to be found. There was obviously plenty of rehearsal time before the actual final recording. That equals dollars or pounds as the case may be, at union scale, for all the musicians involved. A lot was put into this music, and an IMMENSE lot came out. A perfect recording from an engineering view. I'm impressed. It's emotional, it's moving. It's as expressive as much as it is technical. 5 stars. 2 thumbs up.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 04:06

Nice to know that MOTS has improved for you, Scatterplot. Your use of "classy" reminded me that some of the first words to pop into my mind, on initial listenings, were "classy", "restrained", and "tasteful".

(PS: "analyzed"... you know, I'm sure that's spelled correctly, but it just never looks right, for some reason.)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 04:27

Some folx replace the Z with an S. But I like to conform.....usually. Heheeee...truth is I never conform.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 04:40

There is one thing I have to add. I was a big fan of Renaissance while collecting those fine MO LP's in the 70's and 80's. I swear there were vocal moments in MOTS when it sounded like Annie Haslam was there. Hayley Westenra(spelling?)....I saw her a couple of years ago on a PBS concert and was blown away. Very much like a young Annie Haslam. Just my 2 cent's worth.....
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 08:04

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 23 2008, 02:17)
These web sites should really stop this Similar Artists thing, it's ridiculous.

Why? They are merely recommending new artists to people. Even if they might not be "similar" artists, at least they're helping people expand their horizons. I don't see why not do it.

I'd write a review here, but it wouldn't be filled with flattery... but since the thread is asking for it, I might try sometime.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 11:01

Not many artists can pull off doing a composition like that with orchestra. I have heard those artists that try but just don't seem to get the right sound.

But Mike does have history with working with orchestra, with touring for Incantations. Recording for Orchestral TB. And he always been a perfectionist when it comes to creating that sound of his, even with working with an orchestra. I remember Pete Lemer (who toured with Mike and was on Platinum) telling me that Mike didn't want the orchestra to use sheet music, he wanted them to just "feel" the music. He did have problems with the orchestra always wanting to use the sheet music. Sounds like Mike eh?  :D
Anyways, when I heard about MOTS I knew it would be good. At first listen I was immediatley moved by it. Lately with Mike's stuff it takes time before I can say I really like it. But with this one I loved it right away.

It has such a wonderful "live" feel to the sound. And everything sounds so tight. I love Mike's guitar bits, even though I would have loved to heard more of Mike, but that's okay. The vocal work, especially by Hayley Westenra, is absolutley beautiful.

I can listen to this album over and over again, and never get tired of it. Truly it will be one of his many classics for years to come.

Great job Mike!!!!!!

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 12:19

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 23 2008, 08:04)
Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 23 2008, 02:17)
These web sites should really stop this Similar Artists thing, it's ridiculous.

Why? They are merely recommending new artists to people. Even if they might not be "similar" artists, at least they're helping people expand their horizons. I don't see why not do it.

"Similar Albums", or even better "Similar Tracks" would make much more sense in my opinion. They could be web2.0, let people supply them and vote for a degree of similarity. There would be an option for "unique" too, so we'd make the distinction between no vote and not similar to anything. Then they could have some rankings, the album and the artist who has very little stuff similar to others, etc. But again, I think the classification per album would be much more helpful than per artist, especially when they seem to have not very good criteria like "instrumental", or "same people bought it". It's more a "listener likes too" than a "is similar".

Otherwise someone thinking that Ommadawn (Mike Oldfield) is similar to Enola Gay (OMD) would be disappointed.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 13:30

One thing I can say is that if you like this, you'll probably also like Philip Glass's Naqoyqatsi, which is also superb and very energetic. Its the closest these two artists get.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 08:58

Ok, here goes nothing. A review; that does not go to the same lenghts as I went in my old personal site, which is no more. I'm keeping myself more restrained here.

People usually talk about the power of Mike Oldfield's albums to "grow on you". The annoying thing is that I have the power to suck the albums dry, listening to them repeatedly. This happened to Music of the Spheres, but not to a very harmful effect. I don't hate the album. I don't even dislike it, and I don't think I can consider myself "neutral" to it. What I say is that I don't consider it a "masterpiece". The music here at times is borderline corny (Silhouette), at times borderline Wizard of Oz (the end of Prophecy), I find the booming digital reverb on the (sampled?) tom-toms very detracting, and I wonder why they couldn't have written Latin words that have a meaning (it's a "Latin is KEWL" thing that annoys me; I could have suggested a brilliant Swedish writer who could have lent Mike a hand).

But, no matter how many cheesy/over-the-top/contrived moments there may be here (believe me, there aren't many), the album succeeds based on the power of the melodies alone. Aren't that what melodies are for, after all? Finally, the importance of melodies are rediscovered here: that's what takes Shabda, Animus and On My Heart - among others - off the ground, after all; and as much as Harbinger is a Tubular Bells rip-off (hate me if you will), the melody works. I couldn't care less about how "emotional" or "spiritual" this sounds (the concept can bite me - I like my music mundane and carnal): Mike and the orchestra are playing things, instead of just filling up space. It's true, The Other Side doesn't seem to go anywhere in particular, but it doesn't spoil the picture overall.

The Tempest is the highlight, for me; the tension is very well-kept through the piece, with the madly syncopated violins, and the melodies weaving in and out of the mix until the whole thing boils together in that definitive, ultimate brass melody. I wonder if On My Heart got its cue from Vangelis's So Long Ago, So Clear, from Heaven and Hell: the principle is the same, and the song itself is just as good. The melody is disarmingly honest and beautiful, and Mike gets kudos for it. Aurora is amazingly fun, considering its place in such a solemn album, and Harmonia Mundi does a great job in unifying the themes in a gentle, reassuring manner.

The grand climax, Musica Universalis, seems to lack something, but it's actually a satisfying ending. The final melody doesn't feel overbearing (though I could do without the "grandiose" coda - it comes out of nowhere, goes nowhere, and just sounds like slimy crowd-pleasing). Either way, I feel good with the album. I don't know if it's as good as it could have been, but it surely is good enough. And I feel uncomfortable with it being billed a "classical album", to the extent of Wikipedia listing it outside his "canonical" discography; it's a Mike Oldfield album like every other.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 10:23

Quite agree with that last sentiment Sir M.It`s one thing for  people like Roger Waters and Paul McCartney to have their cod-operas and symphonies listed seperatly to their main body of work.But for somene like Mike who is primarily an instrumental composer anyway it does seem a little redundant.Maybe if Mike makes a few more of them they`ll have to amend that viewpoint/laziness.   :)
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 12:07

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 24 2008, 14:58)
my old personal site, which is no more.

That's too bad, I was about to listen to your Big Robot, Little Robot album again, as I didn't download it in its entirety. I hope you come to your senses soon.  ;)

Nice, well written review, and more surprisingly, not too brutal at all.
The annoying thing is that I have the power to suck the albums dry, listening to them repeatedly. This happened to Music of the Spheres, but not to a very harmful effect.

I'm sure we all do that, but surely it wont take long for it to dissolve from ones mind and become fresh again. Also, a solemn album, like you put it, is never good for daily consumption. I couldn't listen to Sibelius' or Beethoven's symphonies every day, but when I do, it's usually great.
Profile PM 
43 replies since Mar. 21 2008, 11:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net