Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok on vinyl< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
simmo2005 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 11 2006, 07:57

Hi,

i have a copy of Amarok on vinyl in excellent condition, and i wondered if it would be worth much money-wise? is it one of the more collectable MO albums, only i looked for it on ebay to see what amounts people were bidding for it, and no one has a copy to sell.

Thanks
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2006, 08:18

No it is worth nothing, just send it to me ;).

It is a rather rare record for two reasons:

*the year. Vinyl wasn't the way to go by then
*the album didn't reazlly sell like a rocket. Well, like an early Vanguard maybe, but not like a Saturn 5 :D.

So we have a little sold album from the time when vinyl wasn't attractive.

Another reason why you don't find them a lot is because most owners like the music and keep the record :).

Anyway it's not worth millions by far, but it certainly is the rarest of the "normal" Oldfield LP's.  I'm not talking about things like "Airborne" here, just the normal range of albums.

If it is truly in excellent condition, you've got something nice.  Something I would like to have once, if only to check for myself whether he did an excellent job at making the music impossible to play back good on vinyl :D.

Value, that's hard to say. Depends on where you live of course.  I think that in shops it would go something like 40€ in mint condition, or is that way off?
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2006, 09:13

Thanks for the info- i'm UK based btw!

i have all MO's albums on cd, and have about 9 or 10 on vinyl that i have picked up at various record shops. I just recalled Amarok being particularly collectable and so thought i'd enquire.

Thanks again!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 11 2006, 11:10

Rainer Münz reckons the UK pressing would be worth about €12 (that would be around £8). I picked up a German one not too long ago for €5 (just over £3) from a record dealer at a flea market. I'd say that anything over €15/£10 is a bit steep, but I can imagine it might sell for more.

I tend to value things based on how many others I've seen - I'll sometimes decide to pay a bit more for something if I've not seen one before (making the assumption I may never see one again) and I feel it's something I want. There are limits to that, though; I think the most I've ever paid for any record was €35/£24, and that was very reluctantly. I prefer the fun of pulling priceless rarities out of bargain bins (and not priceless in the sense that nobody will pay anything at all for them, though sometimes I like that sort of record too ;)).

For the ultimate rarity, take a look at the third item down on this page to see an Amarok picture disc. Granted, it's not the same Amarok, but it is rare...
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2006, 19:50

I've never seen Amarok at flea markets, second hand shops, fairs and even record shops.  If it would be there, it certainly would cost you more than 20€ in good condition.

The only Amarok vinyl I've ever seen is one in bad condition that a brother of me found at a flea market (but he visits a sick amount of them).

It's not like this is the rarest vinyl ever.  For an indication: Airborne costs you 45€ here (Netherlands) in an average (sometimes just above average) priced record shop.

I don't know what Amarok is really worth on vinyl in good condition.  But as far as I know the market, 15€ is optimistic from a buyer's point of view.  Not many shops I know would ever ask that "little" for Amarok.  But of course, it all depends on how much you want to give for it.  I still hope to find it at a carboot sale for very little.  Doubt would tear me in half if I ever saw it for 15€, as I normally pay no more than 2€ for a vinyl record but I LOVE Amarok :).

By the way that Nargaroth picture disc sells for 18€, because it's new and meant to be rare, and the group isn't that sought after as MO.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2006, 16:27

Interesting, I got my copy of Amarok, mint, for 2 euro at a record fair in Utrecht. But I still miss Tubular Bells II and The Songs of Distant Earth -- I've read there are LP versions of both, but I've never ever seen either. BTW, is TSODE just one LP? My CD says it's 70 minutes!

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2006, 17:55

TBII and Heaven's open certainly have "regular" LP versions.

I've never heard TSODE has a regular LP version.  I wouldn't count on that one actually existing.

btw the price of an Amarok vinyl in fairly good to mint condition is just 6€ in some record shops (others indeed ask 20 and more).  The relative rareness of the LP is recognized (6€ is more than the standard second hand price in some shops, it really depends), but I think that it's the relative impopularity of the music that keeps the price low.  Many people simply don't like it.

I love it, so that's good for me :D.

For comparison: Jethro Tull's Aqualung is not the easiest record in the world to find.  Amarok certainly is (a lot) rarer though. But in many shops, Aqualung will cost you more as the music is popular.  And quite some Amaroks are in good condition anyway as their previous owner was careful or did not play it :).  That keeps the cost of AMarok vinyl in good condition low.

Aqualung more often is in bad condition, so you pay for an Aqualung record in good condition.

I've got Amarok now. For free.  But I'm still of the opinion that to me, an Amarok LP in mint condition is worth at least 15€ because it is quite rare indeed, and I love the music. 20€ certainly would not be crazy in my opinion. Also because the rareness is not the "Japanese vinyl" kind of rareness, but genuine "boy did I sell bad" rareness. ;) But 6€ is what the market says, which for once is a good thing for us fans :).
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2006, 19:07

Quote (Nicolas @ Feb. 05 2006, 17:55)
TBII and Heaven's open certainly have "regular" LP versions.
I've never heard TSODE has a regular LP version.  I wouldn't count on that one actually existing.

Oh, certainly it does exist, because I got it.
But I read only 1000 were made.
Distant earth 1995 version says it's 70 minutes long. But if you have the 1994 version it gives the correct time. 55 mins. and 50 seconds, if I remember right. So it's no double album. Side two starts with what is track 10 on the cd. The grooves are quite thin, but not as thin as on Amarok.
Don't pay too much for Amarok on vinyl, btw. I heard of some people getting it really cheap, and I got it very cheap too.
TubularBells2 looks great on vinyl as well... but it should have come in a gatefold sleeve. :)

One thing I'm not sure about if it exists, is Elements (best of) on vinyl. I heard a while ago on this site that it does exist, but I never found any proof...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 06:05

Limited to 1000 copies is not what I call a regular LP version ;).

A lot of albums still get pressed onto vinyl, but they're quite "alternative circuit".  I'll try to find Heaven's Open and TB2 first, those will be hard enough :).

Does TSODE vinyl have the old or new front?
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 06:08

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mike-Oldfield-The-Songs-Of-Distant-Earth-VINYL-LP_W0QQitemZ4830248543QQcategoryZ43708QQrdZ
1QQcmdZViewItem

You can buy it for me if you don't want it. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 06:36

*drools*

The cover does not look that close to excellent from the pic, and he could have looked up the spelling of "excellent".  But the record as an item looks amazing.  Certainly becasue of the excellent cover, finally in large size.

I want it, but not for 49.99 pounds :).
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 11:30

Same sentiments here :) 19.99 -- I'd think about it. 49.99 -- I've got bills to pay and a copy of TSODE on cassette and CD already...

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 17:11

i got my copy of TSODE the day it came out at my local store, it was about £8.99 i think lol, so i got a bargain, i have never played it and only taken it out of the sleeve once to make sure the vynil was in good order.
good luck finding TBII and Heavens Open they are somewhat awkward to track down but as ever ebay is the best bet, took my a long time to find heavens open, TBII got when it came out.
Amarok i found in perfect condition from a second hand shop, cost about £4 so ahain it was a bargain, and as for the existance of elements on vynil i can supply proof if its needed  :D , i dont own it myself but know of someone that does and has photographic proof, they have a massive mike collection, totaling close to 1000 items, yes 1000, not 100! hehe i will put a link up if its ok with the admin, or pm me and ill forward it to you.  ;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 14:52

Amarok on ebay on vinyl for anyone who is interested!  :D

ok the link is mucking about but it is on there at the moment will try to sort it out!

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mike-Oldfield-Amarok-12-LP-Vinyl-1990_W0QQitemZ4832463267QQcategoryZ1582QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt

em

ok i have removed the http bit because it was saying it cant be accsesed stupid thing, but if you can get to it for the remaining link then good luck!  ;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 21:01

Oh thank you very much!  :(

I was hoping to keep that e-bay a secret. I had a winning bid of £2.50!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 15:51

Sorry dude!  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 16:53

Hehe..no worries. Still winning it, although it's now £5.51.

Not quite in the same bracket as some of my 1 penny wins, but close enough for such a rare album.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 16:55

Forget it, I just bidded for 90 pounds!! The album's mine!!

*laughs in an evil way*

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
17 replies since Jan. 11 2006, 07:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net