Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok: on the platform and on the fantasy island< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 30 2000, 05:47

Anyone who has been in Glasgow Central train station of late (and I appreciate that there might not be many) will have heard that each announcement is prefixed with three notes of what the analysis calls Theme C. Bizzare. I go around humming the rest of that bit of Amarok after I've heard it. I'll try to record it at some point and put up a copy somewhere for everyone to hear.

Also available: Theme C on Myst Island, it is there (somewhere) in the soundtrack. I believe that there is a Myst soundtrack album, but I haven't got it. I can't even remember which part of Myst it is in, but it is there. (Myst is a computer game, there's stuff about it in the Sonic VR section where it was discussed as a potential influence.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 30 2000, 16:24

eek OH MY GOSH! THE SAME THING HAPPENED IN ROME!!

I think that this succession of notes is hardly an uncommon one, especially in railway-station chimes. On the evening of the 25th I was at the Termini station in Rome and I heard a chime ringing the notes C-G-E before an announcement. I thought: "Oh my Gosh, it sounds just like son-de-la." And I sang it. Then I told this to my mother, who obviously smile didn't know anything about Amarok, so I explained this to her and she told me that present-day announcement chimes, in Rome and elsewhere, have ALWAYS rung like that...

So, just imagine my surprise in reading your post, Mat. I'm pleased to know that the same thing also happens abroad.
Wouldn't it be possible, that Mike heard those notes in a railway station and built Theme C over them? biggrin biggrin biggrin

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2000, 05:53

I've only ever heard it in Glasgow - the other stations around here (including other stations in Glasgow) use a G-C kind of thing like a doorbell.

My family know the bit of Amarok from Elements, so they sometimes song quietly too. It makes me feel less abnormal!

It is only three notes, I wonder how many other places they have occurred in music.

D'-E'-C'-C-G.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2000, 12:24

>D'-E'-C'-C-G

If I read it well, this is the "dialogue" tune from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Is it?

[If that's the case, we needn't worry about it appearing elsewhere NOW: it's an original tune by John Williams and AFAIK it never appeared anywhere before that movie. smile]

P.S. The chimes in the Termini station in Rome, as I heard them on November 25, are now using C-G-E. In Pescara it's the doorbell-style G-E (it's in fact a B-G#), but it's an older station. My mother has a friend who used to work at the tickets counter, here...he told her that most of the newer chimes in Italian stations use the C-G-E sequence or a similar one in another key.

P.P.S. Apart from the Rome chimes, I've never heard that tune before listening to Amarok. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 07 2000, 17:08

Reading this reminded me of something...

See, I'm sure I've heard bells chiming that tune...just I don't remember where...

Perhaps Mike has ben trying to make extra money by composing announcement chimes and music for bells to ring and similar...
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2000, 23:40

Well, if so, we need to find out which, record them and make a compilation CD! eek
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 07:34

D'-E'-C'-C-G was pinched by Enigma for Knocking On Forbidden Doors, or whatever it was called. Track 9 on their first album.

I plan to record the Glasgow Central noise and make them available online sometime this week for anyone who doesn't believe me or Ugo.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 08:17

If everyone starts scouring stations for Oldfield-related announcement chimes, it would bring a new dimension to the condition known as train spotting. What would a compilation CD be called though?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 09:36

We could do a video called "The Train Chimes"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2001, 18:05

For Mat:

Track 9 on the Enigma album is a 3-part suite titled Back to the Rivers of Belief. The Close Encounters melody starts off Part 1 of this, called Way to Eternity. I have all the four albums by Enigma. wink

Oh, by the way: Enigma, AFAIK, is not a group but a single man (Michael Cretu). So it's HIS album... smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2001, 05:57

I hope that everyone knows how frustrating it is to try and record an announcement at a railway station. I feel certain that they were waiting until I put away my recording gear before they made any announcements.

Anyway, I have a (quiet) one now. I'll do an MP3 and put it up on the web this weekend.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2001, 15:21

It's at:
http://www.geocities.com/matcochr/CentralStation.mp3
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2001, 16:30

Yes, that's it. C-G-E. (The chord of C-major.) In Amarok it's E-minor when it first appears, and then goes to D-major. (And probably many other keys throughout the whole album...) -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: May 22 2001, 10:20

[clicks the link]

"Oops, we can't find your page!"

Is the file actually there?

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: May 22 2001, 10:42

I had to take it down to make space for my (rather bad) website.

I'll put it back soon and post here when I have.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2001, 16:43

I've been hospitalized for about 2 weeks (nothing serious, a check-up for some slight heart problems) and I heard the tune again... this time as a doorbell-like call for nurses. Not from the patients' beds to the nurses' rooms... from the room where they are supposed to gather, so probably being rung out by physicians. wink. Anyway, it was a kind of doorbell, but faster than an ordinary one. The notes (I checked 'em when I came back home, yesterday) were D-A-F sharp.

--------------
Profile PM 
15 replies since Nov. 30 2000, 05:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net