Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Amarok on amaroK, Music players that does tricks.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
WWWWolf Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 01 2005, 07:22

Sorry if this was discussed earlier...

There's a music player called amaroK. Probably the best music player that ever ran on Linux - I can definitely recommend this.

Anyway, due to disk space, I don't keep around Mike's longer works, but today I just felt I should, erm, play Amarok in amaroK. A-ripping I went (the CD player side seems kind of borked for me)... and it indeed does play just fine.

Interestingly, there is an easter egg in amaroK when you try to play Amarok. I got a pop-up saying "One of Mike Oldfield's best pieces of work, Amarok, inspired the name behind the audio-player you are currently using. Thanks for choosing amaroK!" Cool :)
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: July 28 2008, 07:02

A new alfa version of Amarok 2.0 has been released. What's more important this player is gonna be compiled not only for Linux, but even Windows and Mac! I am looking forward to try this out.

Keep watching Amarok website!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 28 2008, 07:36

I wonder if Linux got Mike's permission for this. They got into a whole heap of trouble not long ago for using characters fromMandrake the Magician without permission.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 28 2008, 08:14

I suppose not. The word "Amarok" isn't trademarked, is it?

By the way, the only thing that I don't like about Amarok is the utter lack of gapless playback. Even files ripped on the FLAC format, which is inherently gapless, aren't played back properly.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 28 2008, 10:09

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 28 2008, 08:14)
I suppose not. The word "Amarok" isn't trademarked, is it?

I don't know... But copyright law is notoriously tortuous. Plus, the whole record is copyrighted, so presumably the title, as part of the work, is included in that copyright. Probably a good lawyer could argue it either way.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 28 2008, 10:42

As an example of a parallel case, there was a band a few years ago that wanted to call itself "The Comsat Angels", after JG Ballard's short story. Ballard successfully obtained a court injunction to stop them. (William Burroughs, on the other hand, gave permission to use the name "Steely Dan".)
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: July 28 2008, 10:44

I don't think this could be a problem. Amarok means also wolf and that's how they present it. Check out their logo. They don't deny inspiration by the album thou.
Profile PM 
6 replies since May 01 2005, 07:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net